GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 Question"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/07/05 at 17:57
Regular
"Woo Hoo!"
They say that the PS3 is backwards compatible correct and it comes with a removable hard drive. All the PS1 and PS2 saved games are on memory cards. As far as I can tell, there is no memory card port on the PS3, does any one know if there is one, and will you be able to save PS1 and PS2 games on the hard drive?
Thu 28/07/05 at 17:57
Regular
"Woo Hoo!"
They say that the PS3 is backwards compatible correct and it comes with a removable hard drive. All the PS1 and PS2 saved games are on memory cards. As far as I can tell, there is no memory card port on the PS3, does any one know if there is one, and will you be able to save PS1 and PS2 games on the hard drive?
Thu 28/07/05 at 19:06
Regular
"Mozzy"
You will probably have to save the PS1 and PS2 saves onto the Hard Drive.
Thu 28/07/05 at 19:32
Regular
"\\"
Mozzy wrote:
> You will probably have to save the PS1 and PS2 saves onto the Hard
> Drive.

And the data will get there by magic!
Sun 31/07/05 at 01:02
Regular
"Yes you are"
No doubt some third-party developer (like Lik Sang) will come up with an adpater device which will allow you to connect your PS2 (and maybe PS1) memory card to the Memory Stick slot on the PS3.

After all, a PS2 memory card is basically a Memory Stick in a different shell.
Sun 31/07/05 at 21:59
Regular
"8==="
There's bound to be memory card slots.

Every other console has them, you use them to transfer data from one console to the other: bring your saves over to a friend, created characters etc etc.

Sony wouldn't dis-advantage their console by getting rid of memory card slots.
Mon 01/08/05 at 16:40
Regular
"Yes you are"
There are "memory card slots", but as yet the only ones mentioned are for Memory Stick, Compact Flash and Secure Digital.

With the PS2, the memory card connector is the same as PS1, so the cards just plug in - as you already know.

What Word Life means, I believe, is that there hasn't yet been any mention of a 'standard' Memory Card slot. At least, not that I've seen anywhere.

Of course, they may well be there, but have just been overlooked in all the excitement of the rabid reporters!

I don't know about anyone else, but I've yet to see a picture of what lies behind the flap on PS3 where the various cards plug in.
Tue 02/08/05 at 02:45
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Didn't Sony say the PS3 wouldn't come with a hard drive?
Tue 02/08/05 at 02:47
"High polygon count"
They said it had space for a removable hard drive, yes.

Whether there will actually be one in there when you buy it, or what capacity it will be, is still unknown as far as I'm aware.
Tue 02/08/05 at 02:52
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I've just looked it up in the official magazine:

"The PS3 also has a port for a dinky 2.5-inch hard drive, but you'll have to buy it separately"
Fri 05/08/05 at 10:47
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
It's now been revealed that the only memory devices you can use on the PS3 are their Memory Sticks - the same as are used in the PSP - and it won't be backwards compatible with old memory cards, or old peripherals.

The hard drive won't come packaged with the PS3 and has been said to be for storage of movies and MP3s only, as opposed to storing games on it, but whether or not game saves can be stored hasn't really been mentioned.

As posted already, I'd think it would be likely that someone will make an adaptor that will allow you to get your saves from your old memory cards onto the PS3 somehow.

But none of this really matters, because if rumours are to be believed the PS3 won't be out here till '07 and will cost a million billion pounds anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.