GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 Question"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/07/05 at 17:57
Regular
"Woo Hoo!"
They say that the PS3 is backwards compatible correct and it comes with a removable hard drive. All the PS1 and PS2 saved games are on memory cards. As far as I can tell, there is no memory card port on the PS3, does any one know if there is one, and will you be able to save PS1 and PS2 games on the hard drive?
Sat 06/08/05 at 02:18
Regular
"8==="
Well you only need a certain percentage to go wrong.

Having a large percentage go wrong would be silly and probably criminal in some way.
Sat 06/08/05 at 02:12
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> That said: you're in the minority as the PS2's faults are well
> documented with accusations of designed obsolescence etc.

True.

But then as I say, my original launch-model PS2 is still going strong.

I don't doubt that many have had problems, but the claims of 'designed obsolescence' must be rubbish... otherwise my machine wouldn't still be working, would it?

Anyway, now I really am off to bed. :-)
Sat 06/08/05 at 01:55
Regular
"8==="
That's a harsh set of events WM (you should have gone Nintendo to start off with like me ;) )

I've got to admit that if that'd happened to me I'd be thinking twice before getting a 360. That said: you're in the minority as the PS2's faults are well documented with accusations of designed obsolescence etc.
Sat 06/08/05 at 01:46
Regular
"Ruddie1"
I dont favor one over the other im just more looking forward to the 360, so far.
Sat 06/08/05 at 01:40
"High polygon count"
jerocks9 wrote:
> Again thats your own opinion to be fair

Did I claim it to be anything else?

> personally i would say the 360 is more capable then the PS3 no matter
> what the stats say.

Interesting. For Xbox v PS2, stats were all Xbox fans ever through out. Now that they favour the competition, they don't matter.
Sat 06/08/05 at 01:40
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> Heh, "we're good because we say so".

Yes, but they've proven it with Killzone. A real achievement, given the age of the hardware.

> And? Nobody's disputing whether these people are capable of making
> good games: it the methods they use when they've got nothing to show
> that aren't good.

But even if you discount the 'real' FMV, the Unreal demo is 'real' and looks as good as FMV.

> But there's no proof, just hype.

See above.

Graphically, 360 and PS3 are going to be almost identical, except that PS3 will output at a higher resolution if you have a suitable TV. Unless you have or can afford a HDTV, you won't get the best out of it graphically anyway.

The difference will come from elsewhere. With more storage space and almost twice the floating point processing power, PS3 should (not will) allow for more involving environments.

Anyway, is there any point arguing about it? You'll choose yours, I'll choose mine, and nothing either of us says will change the mind of the other.

Go and order your PS2 and controller adapter! :-)
Sat 06/08/05 at 01:18
Regular
"Ruddie1"
Again thats your own opinion to be fair, personally i would say the 360 is more capable then the PS3 no matter what the stats say. Sony seem to keep promising but never delivering. I think i am going to wait on the PS3 and not get it at launch, but i will get the 360 on launch. So far what i have seen (in game footage) looks wicked.
Regular
"8==="
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> But an accurate representation of what they can achieve, according to
> the developer.

Heh, "we're good because we say so".

> The first footage of GT3 was only FMV, and everyone said "you
> won't get graphics like that on PS2". But they did. And GT4 is
> better still.

And? Nobody's disputing whether these people are capable of making good games: it the methods they use when they've got nothing to show that aren't good.

>
> What I've seen of the 360 is good. Given that PS3 is more powerful
> still, there's every likelyhood that Killzone will look at least as
> good as the FMV.
>

But there's no proof, just hype.

> Anyway, as I said elsewhere, the Unreal Engine 3 demo was a
> real demo, and looks at least as good as anything on 360.

But as we've said the games are running on less powerful setups than the final 360 titles will be run on - so those 360 titles will probably look better.
"High polygon count"
jerocks9 wrote:
> Sony fan boy and his Killzone!

Yes, I am a Sony fan, and I've never made any secret of it.

> How much of a let down was the 1st?

Not at all. I loved it. Actually stopped playing Halo 2 until I'd finished Killzone. In fact, while it's far better than the first, I haven't touched Halo 2 since February.

I've said for a long time that, for me, the Xbox was a let-down.

They dropped the price by £100 just 4 weeks after launch, which peed me off intensely; my hard drive failed and needed replacing, losing my saves; and then I discovered that the whole damn thing was a fire hazard because someone at Microsoft can't wire a plug correctly!

And all the while my original launch model PS2 still functions perfectly.

Even if I hadn't preferred Sony beforehand, I certainly do now!

Is it any wonder that I'm looking forward to the PS3 more than the 360?
Sat 06/08/05 at 01:14
Regular
"8==="
I do get tired of the "This will be " lines that are trotted out.

Apparently Killzone's not good and I know Mace Griffin wasn't a patch on Halo. Then there was all the "This'll be the playstation's Goldeneye" crap that we got ages ago and it all ends up being a bunch of balls.

People are waking up, it's nice to see a fair amount of honesty being used this time rather than the age old hype machine that everyone with half a brain is now very aware of.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.