GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Epidemic Warning"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/03/03 at 09:29
Regular
I've not been here the longest time, but I've heard a lot of people talking about how forums have changed. How the quality of posts and posters has dropped, and how it seems to be spreading from forum to forum like some sort of disease.

So, what are the symptoms? How does this disease propagate itself?
Do the newbie's bring it in with them? Are certain ignorant individuals the prime carriers? And above all, how can we stop it?

I have a theory.

Among the symptoms is a certain amount of spamming. I think that this is just a side effect however, or one of the main causes. The forums are being choked. Choked by their own popularity.
What I'm referring to I can only describe as "legal spam threads".
For example the “movie chain” thread, and the “what music are you listening to right now?” thread in the Movies Forum.

PS2 Longest Thread
Word Association
Even the recent Puzzle Thread, which I have enjoyed immensely.

And why are they choking the forums? Well, because if you list the chat rooms, and try and pick out where the new posts are happening often you're not interested in the PS2 longest thread, or the word association thread.
Also these threads often dominate the post lists, remaining at the top and making it less obvious where people have been posting in other threads.
As a consequence after a while people no longer check those forums, the decent posters move elsewhere, and the forums collapse.

Like I said, choked by their own popularity.

So how could we stop this?
Well, I do think that it would be a shame to stop these threads. Perhaps the answer is to try and contain them. Maybe one solution would be to create a new forum for them. A "fast moving threads" forum. Containing these threads means that decent posts will be easier to pick out from all the other forums.

What do you think?
Could this be the cause of some forum's demise?
and could this be a potential solution?
Tue 25/03/03 at 10:16
Regular
"Omnipresent"
The chat forum isn't a place for MENSA members, it is for everyone. I does not discriminate, unlike yourself.
Tue 25/03/03 at 10:15
Regular
"Omnipresent"
You want every post to be GAD worthy? That would mean about 6 posts a day from the sum of all members. People would get bored and leave.
Tue 25/03/03 at 10:14
"Darkness, always"
monkey_man wrote:
> If you're so against the whole system, you could have rejected it. I
> did.

What's the point? I was under the impression that it makes no difference either way.
"Darkness, always"
I'm looking for something where the ratio of pointworthy topic of discussion to mindless spamming crap is less than one in a thousand.

This place certainly isn't it.
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> monkey_man wrote:
> Then why, Sir, are you a Notable?
>
> Did I vote for me? No.

If you're so against the whole system, you could have rejected it. I did.
Tue 25/03/03 at 10:11
Regular
"Omnipresent"
IB, tell us what you want to find. I'm feel like I'm stumbling through purple haze.
Tue 25/03/03 at 10:10
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Simon Says wrote:
> locky1133 wrote:
> I'm just intrigued how a few posts ago you were decorating a notable with
> 'pressures' of Notability, and now your claiming it to be a
> superficial notable system.

NO. I used 'inverted commers'. Sarcasm.
Tue 25/03/03 at 10:09
"Darkness, always"
monkey_man wrote:
> Then why, Sir, are you a Notable?

Did I vote for me? No.
Tue 25/03/03 at 10:09
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> but the whole notable election is designed in such a way as to
> be a blatant ego massage for the most popular members of the forum.

Then why, Sir, are you a Notable?
Tue 25/03/03 at 10:07
"Darkness, always"
monkey_man wrote:
> Maybe people won't like being called illiterate and ignorant and will
> ignore you.

Are you denying that the majority of people on these forums are illiterate and ignorant? I don't fling those words around today because they look pretty, it's because that's how I feel about a lot of people around here. If people object to that, unlucky. Truth hurts sometimes. If they ignore me because of it? All the bloody better. Fewer mindless buffoons to shut out.

> And where in the world on the Internet is there a chat room for aloof
> mofos like you?

Who says I'm looking for people like me?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.