GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do Graphics Make A Game??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/01/01 at 22:21
Regular
I know this has been posted before, but I have a different viewpoint.

Okay, so most people say gameplay is more important. Of course, to make a great game, you need great gameplay.
BUT, in some games, as well as good gameplay, you need good graphics.

What I'm getting at here, is that in games like Civilisation, or Chu-Chu Rocket, you don't need brilliant graphics, as the gameplay and other aspects make up for it.
But, it would be better if it had great graphics as well, right??

Take...Metal Gear Solid and Perfect Dark. Now sure, both these games have brilliant gameplay, BUT, they wouldn't have been what they are, without the superb graphics.
Just imagine playing MGS or PDark, with the graphics you'd expect on a GameBoy. It wouldn't be anywhere near as good, would it?!?

We know graphics don't just make a game, but they contribute to 50% of why people like the game, and in the case of the Japanese, around 99% of it. {:)

Some people have said that graphics don't matter, but on most games, they DO!!

So next time you say, "Oh, the graphics don't matter much. It's the gameplay that matters," you would be half right, but most games NEED excellent graphics, to succeed.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Fri 19/01/01 at 13:21
And if Mohammed won't go to the mountain,
how much do removal men charge?
Fri 19/01/01 at 12:55
Regular
"not dead"
A more important question surely is:

Do manners maketh man?

My aunt certainly thinks so!
Fri 19/01/01 at 12:44
Also really bad graphics can ruin a good game. Sorry if someone already said this, I only skimmed it.

Imagine a game that involved collecting objects and taking them to different places, eg keys to doors, food to the hungry, horses to water. Now imaginr that the damn objects are indesinguishable from each other, as the graphics are so bad!
You don't know what you have to do, so it becomes frustrating, and a bad gsame.

Any examples?
Fri 19/01/01 at 12:20
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Point is... its not a competition between graphics and gameplay... you can have both in a game... but you need gameplay to create a good game (Dragon LAir anyone?)... Gameplay without graphics can be a great games... graphics without gameplay will always be dodgy... grahpics and gamplay shirft more units than you can shake a stick at! :)
Fri 19/01/01 at 10:39
Regular
thanks meka
Fri 19/01/01 at 07:46
Regular
"not dead"
Ant wrote:

Just imagine playing MGS or PDark,
> with the graphics you'd expect on a GameBoy. It wouldn't be anywhere
> near as good, would it?!?

Actually, both of these games are rather good on the Gameboy....

But I do see your point. I think what you're saying is that if the graphics are stunning, then it pushes the game that little further, and what may have been seen as a good game, becomes a great game, simply because it looks so fine.

And though fancy graphics can paper over a few thin cracks in games, they certainly can't hold together a stinker of a game!

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:37
Regular
"I like cheese"
SNIPER wrote:
> Ah! But Gameplay is the most important thing to do first.

Yes, it is. You always need gameplay. But some games need graphics as well. Not all, but some.

Ah!
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:34
Regular
Ah! But Gameplay is the most important thing to do first.
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:34
at least this topic gets a lot of replies though.
Thu 18/01/01 at 22:31
Regular
"I like cheese"
THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!!

Sniper and edgy just said exactly what I was saying.

I see what you mean Farras.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.