GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do Graphics Make A Game??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/01/01 at 22:21
Regular
I know this has been posted before, but I have a different viewpoint.

Okay, so most people say gameplay is more important. Of course, to make a great game, you need great gameplay.
BUT, in some games, as well as good gameplay, you need good graphics.

What I'm getting at here, is that in games like Civilisation, or Chu-Chu Rocket, you don't need brilliant graphics, as the gameplay and other aspects make up for it.
But, it would be better if it had great graphics as well, right??

Take...Metal Gear Solid and Perfect Dark. Now sure, both these games have brilliant gameplay, BUT, they wouldn't have been what they are, without the superb graphics.
Just imagine playing MGS or PDark, with the graphics you'd expect on a GameBoy. It wouldn't be anywhere near as good, would it?!?

We know graphics don't just make a game, but they contribute to 50% of why people like the game, and in the case of the Japanese, around 99% of it. {:)

Some people have said that graphics don't matter, but on most games, they DO!!

So next time you say, "Oh, the graphics don't matter much. It's the gameplay that matters," you would be half right, but most games NEED excellent graphics, to succeed.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Sun 21/01/01 at 10:37
Also have you heard of Utopia? :

http://games.swirve.com/utopia

It is the same princible as planetarion but is med-evil and has a lot more advertising
Sun 21/01/01 at 10:33
lol it is class, but what keeps me on it is the look on the oppentets face when they see 10000 ships coming in and they cant handle it :)
Sun 21/01/01 at 10:27
Regular
"smile, it's free"
And you've managed to completely avoid noticing the thread on this page entitled "planetarion" too? Impressive!
Sun 21/01/01 at 09:49
Regular
Planetarion's so popular that I've never even heard of it!

That's the truth! And I'm online almost everyday!
Sun 21/01/01 at 09:10
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
How about Planetarion then. This is a MPOLG that has virtually NO graphics, NO gameplay, you just point and click selections from menu options, and that's IT.

But it is now the most popular multi-player online game in the known universe. Why> Addictive strategy. It takes us back to the time when text-based adventures were first born unto the PC.

So graphics do not maketh a game, and in Planetarion's case, neither does gameplay. Unless you count thinking about your next move as gameplay, which would then make us move into the realms of chess. So really, that's what makes a game playable, not some mind numbing 'drive around not trying to hit anything' or 'shoot lots of things' type games, those normally don't let you think.

A good game, therefore, involves a battle of wits between players, and you can't really outwit a console because it hasn't got any wit to start with. So online battles of wit seem to make the most appealing games.
Sun 21/01/01 at 00:40
Regular
yeah but look at donkey kong. the game is huge
Sun 21/01/01 at 00:38
Regular
"everyone says it"
dont be silly, the expansion only assited the main body of the games on the 64, a 4 mb expansion cant make a game that much bigger if the game is already 128mb (Zelda).

Have a look at the differnce in the distance of both zeldas, you can see thousands more trees and links hat looks cool!
Sun 21/01/01 at 00:35
Regular
er-no wrote:
>
The
> N64 Expansion pack made a difference to the game, but only in the
> form of the Graphics.

Overall Graphics Enhance the experience.
> and nothing else.

nah mate,okay graphics improved slightly but the main reason for it was the ability to make the games bigger. thats why PD DK64 and zelda dont work without the pak. they are all huge games and the expansion pak definitly led to bigger games for the 64.
Sun 21/01/01 at 00:14
Regular
"everyone says it"
pop
Fri 19/01/01 at 17:26
Regular
"everyone says it"

If you read any magazine it shows screenshots! These screenshots are getting better and better, not many people will have noticed that most companies are know looking towards stunning the gamer with graphics then anything else.

I dont think it is on, Graphics dont make the game but they improve the experience of the gaming.

Can anyone imagine playing Soul Calibur with pixelated polygons as the characters, the characters in the game enhance the experience of the game, this will begin to become a major part of games in the future, this is why I am looking forward to the GBA which is going back to side-scrolling 2D games, F-Zero will be brill because the creators have gone for Gameplay and Lastilbility.

I think a game should only really be judged by its Gameplay and its Lastibility.

The N64 Expansion pack made a difference to the game, but only in the form of the Graphics.

Overall Graphics Enhance the experience. and nothing else.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.