GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New distinction in music"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/03/03 at 12:54
Regular
This morning, being bored, I decided to watch CD:UK, and Top Of The Pops Saturday, simply because there was nothing else on and I had nothing better to do. Originally this was going to be a rant about the state of music today, and in some ways it is, but instead I want to point out a new distinction in music I noticed on CD:UK, we now have “live performances” and “fully live performances.” That’s right, if there is a person on stage, it’s live, but when they’re actually singing, as opposed to miming, it’s “fully live.”

I’m inclined to believe the producers of these shows have been forced into this position, as it is now immediately obvious who is miming and who is not. Take Dannii Minogue on TOTP: Saturday, the second she opened her mouth, I knew she was miming. Only the large teeny-bopper fanbase must believe these acts are actually performing live, when Blazin’ Squad performed all their fans in the audience were “singing along,” probably not even realising they were the only ones who were actually singing.

What benefit to music is this? We now have artists who don’t write their own songs, mime under all circumstances during performances, and even fake playing instruments – ie. Busted and their missing guitarist during their acoustic run last week.

I was going to suggest the next step was to just synthesise an entire tune, but that’s already been done, and it’s the latest fad among trendies – Dance music. I don’t want to step on anyones toes by saying this, but if it offends anyone, tough: Dance music is crap, all the “songs” sound the same, and they’re made by some geek sitting in front of a computer.

Real music is gone, and the people who still enjoy proper music are becoming fewer and fewer, as most would much rather fit in than have abuse hurled at them, as is the trend.

I wonder what the next step in terminology after “live” and “fully live” will be….
Sat 15/03/03 at 20:25
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Memorandum wrote:
I am actually more partial to the
> likes of Muse, Jimmy Eat World, and Tool, all of which I'd guess most
> people have never heard of

eh? Muse have been in the charts a fair amount and are in my opinion pretty well known. Jimmy Eat World are also well known (I wouldn't say as much as Muse, bust still...)
And most people who listen to rock have heard of Tool even if they aren't familiar with their music...
Sat 15/03/03 at 18:57
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I'm basing my opinion of dance music on what I hvae heard on the radio, or seen on TV, as well as being forced to listen to it at school when its coming up to a the Christmas/summer holidays and someone brings in a multitude of Dance CDs, I couldn't tell you what they were, but I can assure you I despised every tune I heard, which must have been over 100 altogether, so I'm pretty sure it isn't for me.

I'm not going through this "teen angst rebellion" you speak of, although I am a teenager I hardly listen to the crap the kind of people you are talking about do, (except possibly Nirvana) I am of course referring to Slipknot etc. I am actually more partial to the likes of Muse, Jimmy Eat World, and Tool, all of which I'd guess most people have never heard of, I certainly know that no-one else in my class except for me and my friends have. I don't think they want to either, considering the reaction I got when I brought "Origin Of Symmetry" to school.
Sat 15/03/03 at 17:42
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
That's total rubbish again. "Dance music" is a genre that covers so much music you can't begin to write it all off. Like I said, it's as wide as "music with guitars" or "music with singing". You're seemingly basing those comments on the trashy chart stuff you've listened to - suprisingly, that isn't the best the dance world has to offer. What you're doing is like writing off all songs that feature a guitar because you don't like Busted.

I hated dance music when I was an angsty teen too. I grew my hair long and played grunge on my guitar - ohhh, I rebeled just like thousands and thousands of others into the trendy grunge scene, just like thousands of other teens do now when into the trendy-at-the-moment rock movement (again though, "rock" covers a rediculously large range of music). Yeah, those sell out dance music guys aren't "real" like we are. Not saying this is a bad thing, its what people do and you still get to hear some cool tunes. Just there's a whole world of other great tracks out their that you're closing yourself off to.

Anyway, you grow up, start going out and realize that dance music is best played on a large sound system in a room full of people dancing. Dance music isn't made to be listened to while sitting on your end in front of a mini-system or TV. Suddenly you notice how its carefully crafted, just in a different way from the other music you're used to. You note how a good DJ will have the crowd totally under his control - he charts rises and falls over the evening. If he's really good, the song that comes next is always the song you really, really wanted to hear at that point.

Ignore the genre trend - there's music you like and music you don't like. I know that's totally idealistic, but it's a good thought to have in the back of your head when listening to something new. I started Dj-ing because of hip-hop (another genre I hated untill I actually listened to it with an open mind, rather than looking for reasons to hate it and how it was different from my beloved rawk). Then I just started to hear all this other music I never would have usually listened to, and really enjoyed it.

Genres are usefull when chatting about vague movements in music, but never write off a tune simply because you didn't like another track which is a *little* similar.
Sat 15/03/03 at 17:06
Regular
"Severly mind-warped"
Dance music sucks. They have no talent other than by pressing buttons on a keyboard which makes the song sound different. They take songs from the 70's and 80's and turn them into bad remixes

Rock is the way forward!
Sat 15/03/03 at 16:14
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
> Dance music is crap, all the “songs” sound the same, and they’re made by > some geek sitting in front of a computer.

You say that as someone who clearly hasn't listened to much "dance music" (a genre as wide as "music with people singing"), so there's no point in even commenting further on such a stupid generalisation. Let me guess: you are basing this on the likes of Scooter, Ian Van Dahl and all the other rubbish chart dance music? Or some rediculiously dull "hard house" heard from a Max Power Micra speeding past you? Seek and ye shall find. I play guitar and piano, but I also DJ. Five years ago I never would have though of this, but then I just started finding out that it was a great way to enjoy music, playing with it, tweaking it, blending two or three different tunes together to find something totally new. Fair enough, I have to search through reams of junk to find a "dance" tune I like, but then, like I said, dance music covers so many types of music that sound so different.

With regards the performance thing - general rule is the kiddies/fans of pop want to see a something special. All sorts of dancing and stage craft, a different type of performance that can't really be done while singing live. They look for a different thing from you in the preformance, don't criticise them for that. Maybe they'll mature and love different types of music, just like maybe you'll mature and start going to different clubs and venues on a Saturday night and widen you're musical tastes.
Sat 15/03/03 at 12:54
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
This morning, being bored, I decided to watch CD:UK, and Top Of The Pops Saturday, simply because there was nothing else on and I had nothing better to do. Originally this was going to be a rant about the state of music today, and in some ways it is, but instead I want to point out a new distinction in music I noticed on CD:UK, we now have “live performances” and “fully live performances.” That’s right, if there is a person on stage, it’s live, but when they’re actually singing, as opposed to miming, it’s “fully live.”

I’m inclined to believe the producers of these shows have been forced into this position, as it is now immediately obvious who is miming and who is not. Take Dannii Minogue on TOTP: Saturday, the second she opened her mouth, I knew she was miming. Only the large teeny-bopper fanbase must believe these acts are actually performing live, when Blazin’ Squad performed all their fans in the audience were “singing along,” probably not even realising they were the only ones who were actually singing.

What benefit to music is this? We now have artists who don’t write their own songs, mime under all circumstances during performances, and even fake playing instruments – ie. Busted and their missing guitarist during their acoustic run last week.

I was going to suggest the next step was to just synthesise an entire tune, but that’s already been done, and it’s the latest fad among trendies – Dance music. I don’t want to step on anyones toes by saying this, but if it offends anyone, tough: Dance music is crap, all the “songs” sound the same, and they’re made by some geek sitting in front of a computer.

Real music is gone, and the people who still enjoy proper music are becoming fewer and fewer, as most would much rather fit in than have abuse hurled at them, as is the trend.

I wonder what the next step in terminology after “live” and “fully live” will be….

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.