GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New distinction in music"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/03/03 at 12:54
Regular
This morning, being bored, I decided to watch CD:UK, and Top Of The Pops Saturday, simply because there was nothing else on and I had nothing better to do. Originally this was going to be a rant about the state of music today, and in some ways it is, but instead I want to point out a new distinction in music I noticed on CD:UK, we now have “live performances” and “fully live performances.” That’s right, if there is a person on stage, it’s live, but when they’re actually singing, as opposed to miming, it’s “fully live.”

I’m inclined to believe the producers of these shows have been forced into this position, as it is now immediately obvious who is miming and who is not. Take Dannii Minogue on TOTP: Saturday, the second she opened her mouth, I knew she was miming. Only the large teeny-bopper fanbase must believe these acts are actually performing live, when Blazin’ Squad performed all their fans in the audience were “singing along,” probably not even realising they were the only ones who were actually singing.

What benefit to music is this? We now have artists who don’t write their own songs, mime under all circumstances during performances, and even fake playing instruments – ie. Busted and their missing guitarist during their acoustic run last week.

I was going to suggest the next step was to just synthesise an entire tune, but that’s already been done, and it’s the latest fad among trendies – Dance music. I don’t want to step on anyones toes by saying this, but if it offends anyone, tough: Dance music is crap, all the “songs” sound the same, and they’re made by some geek sitting in front of a computer.

Real music is gone, and the people who still enjoy proper music are becoming fewer and fewer, as most would much rather fit in than have abuse hurled at them, as is the trend.

I wonder what the next step in terminology after “live” and “fully live” will be….
Sun 16/03/03 at 22:25
Regular
"oaps.org"
Memorandum wrote:
>Blazin’ Squad

Who?

please inform me, I must have been listening to real music for too long.
Sun 16/03/03 at 22:04
Regular
"Spunkeh Monkeh"
Memorandum wrote:
> I was going to suggest the next step was to just synthesise an entire
> tune, but that’s already been done, and it’s the latest fad among
> trendies – Dance music. I don’t want to step on anyones toes by
> saying this, but if it offends anyone, tough: Dance music is crap,
> all the “songs” sound the same, and they’re made by some geek sitting
> in front of a computer.

Too sodding right. Dance music is a mixed piece of shate that takes almost no talent to produce. Any moron (no geekism required) can make a *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* *dum* tune. To make a poly-rhythmic melody takes actual talent and at least half a brain.
>
> Real music is gone, and the people who still enjoy proper music are
> becoming fewer and fewer, as most would much rather fit in than have
> abuse hurled at them, as is the trend.

Too true again. Real music is dying and all this mimed cack is taking over.

HELLFIRE IS BURNING ME ALLIIIIIIIIIVEEEEE!
Sun 16/03/03 at 21:04
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> Like I said, that's not the venue for dance music. It is called DANCE
> music for a reason - you need to be on your feet and part of a big
> crowd to really enjoy.

It's because of this I will probably never like it. I don't like being in crowds much, or to dance, I generally keep myself to myself, I've rarely went out, and don't plan on doing it much in future either. I never enjoy myself, and usually end up feeling sick, or faking it just to leave.

I'm a very odd person really, I think any psychiatrist would diagnose me with depression, considering I enjoy being on my own much more than being around other people, even my friends. They also think this is very strange, and worry sometimes, yet I am completely happy, anyway, thats for another discussion.
Sun 16/03/03 at 16:43
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Memorandum wrote:
> I'm basing my opinion of dance music on what I hvae heard on the
> radio, or seen on TV, as well as being forced to listen to it at
> school when its coming up to a the Christmas/summer holidays

Like I said, that's not the venue for dance music. It is called DANCE music for a reason - you need to be on your feet and part of a big crowd to really enjoy. Plus, if you want to hate something you will. Oh, and remembering the annoying junk a lot of people played on the stereo when I was at school, it probably was rubbish. Don't get many 16 year-old's going for anything below 240 BMP. Stuff I like is generally the more downtempo, mellow dance stuff, a little jazzy, a little hip hop. Its undoubtedly even more of a niece market than rawk, so unlikly trendy teens will be huge fans :)

> I'm not going through this "teen angst rebellion" you speak
> of, although I am a teenager I hardly listen to the crap the kind of
> people you are talking about do

You can still be an angsty teen and listening to good music, hell - I managed it :)
Sat 15/03/03 at 21:42
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, I've got a few videos of them live on my PC. All like you said - no drums, no electric guitars, just acoustic.

They are truly brilliant, as well as the songs being hilarious also.
Sat 15/03/03 at 21:40
Regular
"¬_¬"
Tenacious D live were absolutely fantastic. If you've seen any of their TV episodes, which they made ages ago, before they released their album, you'll know what I mean when I say they're great. Because, there was no drummer, no electric guitars, just the two of them jamming on their acoustics. It was true Tenacious D, and they really did kick ***. Jack Black managed to make jokes of unforeseen situations, and he took the **** out of the British etc. They were brilliant live, because it wasn't just them singing, it was a true 'performance'.

Fantastic.
Sat 15/03/03 at 21:19
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
It probably is, my school is full of trendies desperate to fit in and be just like everyone else. If you're even slightly different you're basically an outcast. Theres one guy who is into dance music, like everyone else, but also likes the Red Hot Chili Peppers, so is a "Grunger," apparently.

You can imagine what they think of me - I skateboard as well as listening to the aforementioned music.
Sat 15/03/03 at 21:01
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Maybe it's just your school...
Sat 15/03/03 at 20:30
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
To*
Not too, I held "o" in by mistake. Damn my fingers!!
Sat 15/03/03 at 20:29
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
It was only a guess, like I said, because anyone I ever mention them too generally reply with: "who?!?!?"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.