GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Discoworld Novels are for natty waistcoat wearers?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/03/03 at 16:51
Regular
What is the appeal that Pratchett holds, heh? He has the sort of humour that only people, who drink real ales and wear "comedy" waistcoats to demonstrate that they are indeed a character (John Virgo you should be ashamed, and also shot), find amusing. I've read several of his books (Colour of magic was one if i remember rightly) because I had to find out what the fuss was about, so no one can accuse me of not giving them a go, and they were as lame as a paralysed snake.

Oook not funny, luggage not funny, Rincewind not funny, Pratchett not funny.

And he has a beard.
Sat 15/03/03 at 12:29
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Insane Bartender wrote:
> TIM-MAY!! wrote:
> So you read 10 whole pages? And you're basing you opinion of a
> series
> of over 25 books on those 10?
>
> Yes, I am.
>
> Every book I've ever read in it's entirety has done something in the
> opening pages to capture interest. If I want to read something in
> which nothing of interest happens, I'll sit down and chig my way
> through the entire CIMA course.

So, if every book you've ever read in it's entirety has done something in the opening pages to capture your interest, why are you ignoring the other 24 or so other books in the Discworld series?
Fri 14/03/03 at 18:47
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I've read most of the Discworld novels, and I do think they are excellent (with the possible exception of 'The Colour Of Magic').

The more recent ones tend to be the more amusing, especially those featuring the City Watch, as mentioned earlier. Obviously they're not to everyone's taste, but I've not before seen anyone so convinced that his books were tripe.
Fri 14/03/03 at 16:39
"Darth Vader 3442321"
BEARDS. wrote:
> The sagacious one wrote:
> And he has a beard.
>
> *Cough*
>
> There's nothing wrong with drinking ale you alcopop-loving pansy.

Ale? As for myself, I drink neat Whisky n Turps with meth chasers. A man's drink.

And by the way, get a shave hippy.
Fri 14/03/03 at 16:13
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
The sagacious one wrote:
> And he has a beard.

*Cough*

There's nothing wrong with drinking ale you alcopop-loving pansy.
Fri 14/03/03 at 11:44
"Darth Vader 3442321"
TIM-MAY!! wrote:
> Do any of you actually like fantasy novels? If you were simply
> looking for comedy then read a book by a comedian or something.

I like fantasy. I thought that the Discworld novels were supposed to be funny, they weren't, they are simply overly long spoofs of the fantasy genre. There is nothing funny about calling Death's horse "Binky" and if Pratchett is intending to present a serious fantasy novel why would he do such a thing.

Someone once claimed that Pratt was a master of setting up a joke, many, many pages before delivering the punchline. This is true, I read the first sentence of one of his books and then when I reached the bit where it said "The End" without even chuckling once, I knew that the whole book was one big joke.

I hate things that become popular without being good.
Fri 14/03/03 at 11:42
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
TIM-MAY!! wrote:
>
> Colour Of Magic was his first in the Discworld series - they do get
> better. If you like the Death bits, try a book with him as the main
> character ...
>
> Mort
> Reaper Man
> Soul Music

Stop reading Colour Of Magic. This is the first one I read and it put me off for years. You should try any of the three recommended or one of the Witches books. Reaper Man and Hogfather, both based on the Death, character are still amongst my favourite reads today.
Fri 14/03/03 at 11:41
"Darkness, always"
TIM-MAY!! wrote:
> So you read 10 whole pages? And you're basing you opinion of a series
> of over 25 books on those 10?

Yes, I am.

Every book I've ever read in it's entirety has done something in the opening pages to capture interest. If I want to read something in which nothing of interest happens, I'll sit down and chig my way through the entire CIMA course.
Fri 14/03/03 at 11:38
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Slaveunit wrote:
> I'm about 1/2 way through Color of Magic, and It's not all that
> interesting. The Death bits are funny, but it's just not grabbing me
> at all. I can't really be bothered to finish it, as I feel I have
> better things to do with my time.

Colour Of Magic was his first in the Discworld series - they do get better. If you like the Death bits, try a book with him as the main character ...

Mort
Reaper Man
Soul Music
Fri 14/03/03 at 11:35
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I'm about 1/2 way through Color of Magic, and It's not all that interesting. The Death bits are funny, but it's just not grabbing me at all. I can't really be bothered to finish it, as I feel I have better things to do with my time.

Loads of people say that I should give it a go though, so I might give it a try with a spoken word tape, so I can have it on the way to work.

Good luck to all those that like it though...
Fri 14/03/03 at 11:28
Regular
"Twenty quid."
froots wrote:
> Seriously though dude, calm down. TIM-MAY that is.

Sorry - I was getting a bit angry; just had a blazing row with the missus and was taking it out on the keyboard. Had to edit my posts several times because the swear filter kept telling me off.

Seriously, though, I am a fan of Pratchett: I find his books funny and well written. I guess once you get to like the characters and the world they're in you get the usual rose-tinted view that all his books are great ... some are and sme aren't. I mentioned the ones featuring the City Watch because those and the ones where Death is the main character are my favourites.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.