GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Discoworld Novels are for natty waistcoat wearers?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/03/03 at 16:51
Regular
What is the appeal that Pratchett holds, heh? He has the sort of humour that only people, who drink real ales and wear "comedy" waistcoats to demonstrate that they are indeed a character (John Virgo you should be ashamed, and also shot), find amusing. I've read several of his books (Colour of magic was one if i remember rightly) because I had to find out what the fuss was about, so no one can accuse me of not giving them a go, and they were as lame as a paralysed snake.

Oook not funny, luggage not funny, Rincewind not funny, Pratchett not funny.

And he has a beard.
Mon 17/03/03 at 10:50
Regular
"Twenty quid."
If you don't like them then don't read them - I only got shirty because people were spending their energy telling everyone else how rubbish they thought the books were or were being narrow minded and letting other people tell them what's good and what's bad without trying things for themselves. If I put up a post for every book, TV programme or film I didn't like then I'd be here for hours.

I am now leaving this discussion.
Mon 17/03/03 at 10:41
"Darkness, always"
TIM-MAY!! wrote:
> So, if every book you've ever read in it's entirety has done something
> in the opening pages to capture your interest, why are you ignoring
> the other 24 or so other books in the Discworld series?

Because everyone I know in real life who HAS read any number of the Discworld novels tells me that if you've read one, you've read them all. Highly formulaic books from the sound of things, and not to my taste either.

I'm not a fan of the "look i made a funny" sort of humour at the best of times. If I want to read a fantasy book, I'll pick up a Thomas Covenant book or something. If I want to read something funny, well, it'll have to do a darn sight better that this to raise a smile out of me.
Mon 17/03/03 at 10:33
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
The sagacious one wrote:
> I'll be in the minority who have more discerning
> tastes.

ahh a billy-no-mates then? ;)
Mon 17/03/03 at 10:19
"Darth Vader 3442321"
pb wrote:
> It's pretty amazing that you base the strength of the literature on
> your own opinion. Didn't you know that there are many more people in
> the world that don't think like you do?

Exactly. They are all wrong. Look how many people though Big Brother was good. They were wrong. I'm not worried though, let the masses have their dreary opiates, I'll be in the minority who have more discerning tastes.
Mon 17/03/03 at 10:13
"Darth Vader 3442321"
TIM-MAY!! wrote:

> If they were no good, how come he's sold 17 million copies and been
> translated into 25 languages? Can you even name 25 languages without
> looking them up?

I do hope that none of the "jokes" lost their meaning during the translation. Or maybe they became funny.
Sun 16/03/03 at 20:54
Regular
"Twenty quid."
pb wrote:
> It's pretty amazing that you base the strength of the literature on
> your own opinion. Didn't you know that there are many more people in
> the world that don't think like you do?

I wasn't basing the strength of the literature on my own opinion, I was getting angry because they seemed to call it rubbish after only reading a tiny part of one book out of 25. It's like deciding that an entire TV series will be rubbish because you didn't like the first 30 seconds of the first episode.

> Opinions are as divided as the people who write them.

I agree and I apologised for getting angry and flaming everybody.
Sun 16/03/03 at 13:07
"possibly impossible"
It's pretty amazing that you base the strength of the literature on your own opinion. Didn't you know that there are many more people in the world that don't think like you do?

I find Tom Clancy boring, but I don't expect others to do the same, I loved the works of Shakespeare, but know that others hate him with a passion, I preferred Conrad's Heart of Darkness to the film re-make Apocalypse Now but many more people would probably fall asleep reading that book.

Opinions are as divided as the people who write them.
Sun 16/03/03 at 12:10
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Ineedsleep wrote:
> Sounds like you're getting upset again. If anyone wishes to miss out
> on the hours of pleasure that reading his books give then just let
> them. In my opinion it is their loss but each to his own.

You're right: I was upset - had another argument with the missus but it's all sorted now.

If you like the books then read them and enjoy them. If you don't like the books then don't waste your energy posting here just to say so.

Here endeth the lesson.
Sat 15/03/03 at 13:41
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
TIM-MAY!! wrote:

> If they were no good, how come he's sold 17 million copies and been
> translated into 25 languages? Can you even name 25 languages without
> looking them up?

Sounds like you're getting upset again. If anyone wishes to miss out on the hours of pleasure that reading his books give then just let them. In my opinion it is their loss but each to his own.
Sat 15/03/03 at 12:33
Regular
"Twenty quid."
The sagacious one wrote:
> Someone once claimed that Pratt was a master of setting up a joke,
> many, many pages before delivering the punchline. This is true, I read
> the first sentence of one of his books and then when I reached the bit
> where it said "The End" without even chuckling once, I knew
> that the whole book was one big joke.

Are you really saying that you didn't even find one bit of the book amusing? Not even a little bit? Jeez ...

> I hate things that become popular without being good.

If they were no good, how come he's sold 17 million copies and been translated into 25 languages? Can you even name 25 languages without looking them up?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.