GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh dear god, my PC's gone mad"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/03/03 at 00:40
Regular
ok,

I turned on my PC a little while ago, and scandisk came up for whatever reason, then I was given a message about windows finding an error and needing to revert back to a previous system file, and needed to be restarted. As this was the only option, I just said ok and let it go about its business.

Now, when Windows 98 loads up, the entire desktop has changed its settins. In Web Pages, programs and the desktop icons, the text has enlarged itself a little, whereas the start and taskbar remain the same size as before. I went to change the screen settings on this, thinking it was only a minor thing. Now, the desctop icons, web pages and program text appear in the sizes they used to as normal, but now the start button, taskbar and all programs (Word, IE etc) appear with smaller title bars and buttons.

Also, programs that used to run fine, like MSN, Flash/Shockwave and Java Applets within web pages no longer work. Not only that, but programs I had set up not to load up when Windows does now do load up.

I've tried running the CD Burner software to back-up my files, but that is one of the programs that also no longer works, and I'm a little worried about doing anything without backing-up particular files.

What the hell has happened to my computer???

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Tue 11/03/03 at 22:48
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I've got a new Hard Drive on Order, so just wanted to ask ...

When I put it in, should I format and partition it first, or just partition it and install everything ... or just install windows and everything else???

Tue 11/03/03 at 16:45
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Yeah, 'tis why I specified a DM+9 heh.
>
> The Maxtors are better...

Ah, the thing that really took the biscuit was the fact that I had swapped an IBM harddrive (which had good reputations back then) for the Maxtor, on the grounds of the IBM being too loud.

Bloomin' harddrives!
Tue 11/03/03 at 10:30
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I have a Seagate Barracuda, it's quiet enough and fast enough, so I'm happy \o/
Tue 11/03/03 at 00:27
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, at the mo I've just formated the existing drive and starting over. Insalling everything again is such a pain ... but eh, £$%$ happenes.

Thanksf for the details, and I'll take a look into the recomended drives :)
Mon 10/03/03 at 23:46
Regular
Im a big fan of the maxtor plus 9's as they are really quiet due to there liquid barings, im also a fan of the western digital SE drive although they are louder.

c.b.
Mon 10/03/03 at 23:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah, 'tis why I specified a DM+9 heh.

The Maxtors are better...
Mon 10/03/03 at 20:37
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I'm currently looking for a Seagate. From what I've read, they're one of the best out there.

I bought a 40gb Maxtor last time, worked nice and quietly for a few weeks, then began to whir very loudly - with the standard high pitched noise that a hard drive makes.

Although the newer Maxtor drives are supposed to be made better with different bearing etc.

Still think I'll go for a seagate though. I've heard of a lot of people being impressed with them (although I haven't tried one myself, other than the 50/50 chance of one being in my Xbox)
Mon 10/03/03 at 18:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Maxtor are the popular drives at the moment. Make sure you get a DiamondMax Plus 9 though.
Mon 10/03/03 at 12:18
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I just tried re-installing Windows 98 ... over the top of the old files, as I thought that would work (it has done in the past).

However, I got that error message again, and read it this time. It said that windows has had to resort to an old backed-up version of the system files. Does that mean the newer ones are just gone/corrupt and none fixable??

I've got Win2000 redy to load, unfortunatly it won't allow me to do a fresh install on a newly formated hard drive ... which I find strange. Does anyone know why it won't allow this, or is there a different way to install Win2000 than as with 98??

I'm still puting it down to the actual hard drive itself, as ever since I've been using it Windows 98 has been having little fits every now and they, and throws up an error for the hell of it, whereas my older drive worked fine ... it was just to small.

Might be time to invest in a new Hard Drive??? Any recommondations, as I'm undicided between the Western Digital and Seagate brands??

Thanks for the input everyone :)
Mon 10/03/03 at 11:19
Regular
"cachoo"
Windows 98 known for crashing 24/7? That "blue screen of death" shows up every other day, gets really annoying. Thinking about installing XP now!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.