GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh dear god, my PC's gone mad"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/03/03 at 00:40
Regular
ok,

I turned on my PC a little while ago, and scandisk came up for whatever reason, then I was given a message about windows finding an error and needing to revert back to a previous system file, and needed to be restarted. As this was the only option, I just said ok and let it go about its business.

Now, when Windows 98 loads up, the entire desktop has changed its settins. In Web Pages, programs and the desktop icons, the text has enlarged itself a little, whereas the start and taskbar remain the same size as before. I went to change the screen settings on this, thinking it was only a minor thing. Now, the desctop icons, web pages and program text appear in the sizes they used to as normal, but now the start button, taskbar and all programs (Word, IE etc) appear with smaller title bars and buttons.

Also, programs that used to run fine, like MSN, Flash/Shockwave and Java Applets within web pages no longer work. Not only that, but programs I had set up not to load up when Windows does now do load up.

I've tried running the CD Burner software to back-up my files, but that is one of the programs that also no longer works, and I'm a little worried about doing anything without backing-up particular files.

What the hell has happened to my computer???

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thu 13/03/03 at 16:06
Regular
Advice cjh
Dont open them, i was messing about and the came open and to this day i still find little balls around my pc.
Thu 13/03/03 at 13:49
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
cjh wrote:
> I've just had the drive delivered, and found included with it is a
> little bag of tiny clear and pink balls.
>
> It says on the packaging that they are 'Silica Gel'.
>
> What are these used for???

They absorb any moisture in the box while the drive is being stored / shipped - they reduce condensation. Most electronic products have them in the packaging, but you can throw them away now.
Thu 13/03/03 at 12:18
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I've just had the drive delivered, and found included with it is a little bag of tiny clear and pink balls.

It says on the packaging that they are 'Silica Gel'.

What are these used for???
Wed 12/03/03 at 17:48
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
All Hard Drives report a sligntly lower Space than the advertised size. I'm not sure as to why, but I know a Hard Drives size will always be lower than advertised. It's a standard practice in the Hard Drive business.

I've got a Western Digital 80GB coming tomorrow though :)

On more think though, before I go putting it in. Like I said, I have Win2000 to go on the New Drive, but when I previously tried to load Win2000, I was told I could not from the DOS prompt.

How am I supposed to install Win200 freshly on the drive if I can't do it through an older Windows Start-up floppy??? As I would prefer not to install win98 and put win2000 over the top.

Thanks all :)
Wed 12/03/03 at 17:24
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
GasMask wrote:
> Oh, quick not on hdd's. a 40gb hdd, you'd think oh sweet, 40gb of
> space.
>
> Wrong, it'll come up at around 33gb.

Hmm. My 40gb hard drive comes up with a capacity of 38.1gb, not too much of a problem really.

Would this amount depend on the manufactuer?
Wed 12/03/03 at 08:35
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Hrm, that actually sounds more like some kind of hardware limitation, rather than the ol' binary to decimal round-off. Old motherboards may only have support for hard disks up to 32GB in size - you could have one of these motherboards, which is refusing to read past the 32nd gig. This is unlikely though, the only time I've ever plugged a hard disk into a board that didn't support it, they just refused to talk, period. To get around this, some more modern hard disks have a jumper setting which restricts them to only the first 32GB of the disk - you may well have this set accidentally.
Wed 12/03/03 at 08:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's because 1KB is 1024B, 1MB is 1024KB and 1GB is 1024MB. However, HDD manufacturers like to replace those numbers with 1000, because they can, and it means you get smaller drives than they're supposed to be.

That, and the filesystem itself uses space.
Wed 12/03/03 at 01:18
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Oh, quick not on hdd's. a 40gb hdd, you'd think oh sweet, 40gb of space.

Wrong, it'll come up at around 33gb.

System usage or something.

Annoyed me quite a bit :op

Maxtor for meee its nice and quiet.
Tue 11/03/03 at 23:48
Regular
which hard drive did you get and how much was it.
Tue 11/03/03 at 23:48
Regular
I recently got a 60gb western digital hard drive.

You have to format the hard drive first.

What i did was put my second hard drive as slave running with my old hard drive, then i formarted it ( new hard drive) then switched them round.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.