GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh dear god, my PC's gone mad"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/03/03 at 00:40
Regular
ok,

I turned on my PC a little while ago, and scandisk came up for whatever reason, then I was given a message about windows finding an error and needing to revert back to a previous system file, and needed to be restarted. As this was the only option, I just said ok and let it go about its business.

Now, when Windows 98 loads up, the entire desktop has changed its settins. In Web Pages, programs and the desktop icons, the text has enlarged itself a little, whereas the start and taskbar remain the same size as before. I went to change the screen settings on this, thinking it was only a minor thing. Now, the desctop icons, web pages and program text appear in the sizes they used to as normal, but now the start button, taskbar and all programs (Word, IE etc) appear with smaller title bars and buttons.

Also, programs that used to run fine, like MSN, Flash/Shockwave and Java Applets within web pages no longer work. Not only that, but programs I had set up not to load up when Windows does now do load up.

I've tried running the CD Burner software to back-up my files, but that is one of the programs that also no longer works, and I'm a little worried about doing anything without backing-up particular files.

What the hell has happened to my computer???

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Fri 14/03/03 at 18:37
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'm so close to crying right now .... damm computers.

So, just to tide me over, the older drive is in now, breaking as normal :) But, the second drive no longer gets detected ... WFT have I gone and done to it now???

The Jumpers are the same, the connections are plugged in the same, but drive D: just doesn't show up .... Does this mean the drive has for whatever reason broken, and I've lost all the data (as it there is no chance in hell of getting it back) or could this be a simple problem that one of you good people would know how to fix :)

The plan was to have the new WD Drive in, along with the old Second Drive, also a Western Digital. The on I'm replacing is a Maxtor one. Looks like that plan has gone to $%*^ now :(
Fri 14/03/03 at 07:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
MAXTOR FFS!

..ahem..

:D
Thu 13/03/03 at 23:48
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Nasty >> I'll read that tomorrow when I'm more awake :)
Thu 13/03/03 at 23:44
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> Second, is you drive actually spinning up? if not then it could be a
> power problem or a dead drive.

I've got as close a I can, and it doens't seem to be making any noise. I'm using the same power cables as the other drives, which are fine. Being that I'm typing this online, you can probably guess the old drive is still ok-ish :)

I've talked to SR, and am having a replacment sent after the faulty one is picked up. After phoning a couple of others who know quite a bit, we've all come to the fact that it is most likey a duff drive.

... and you said Western Digitial were good :P
Thu 13/03/03 at 22:55
Regular
I had a 10gb hard drive ( probably as low as you can get)

So i upgraded. to a 60gb Western digital hard drive.

It wasnt the easiest of products to install, like someone said, there is single slave,master slave,single master,secondry master.

explains like this

Single-If the drive you are installing is the only drive in your system.

Dual(slave-)If the drive you are installingis the slave in a two drive system.

Dual master-If the drive you are instaling is the master drive in a 2 drive system.

Have a look at the back of your new hard drive-Is it 9 pin or 10 pin becuase depending on how many pins they are depends on what jumper setting to use. Should tell you in the manual.

Ensure that your ide lead is the right way round,often i would make mistakes about which way round it plugged in,even thought there was a red line indicating PIN1. but id conected it the wrong way on the motherboard. so just have a quick check that they are the right way round.

when installine i had so many problems with it getting to work as master and my old one as slave that i just couldnt be bothered, i just use my new hard drive as slave.

I think to install it as master you would have to re install your whole operating system.

In your bios ( i think someone else mentioned this ) ensure the ide devices are installed coredctly, and make sure it comes up saying how 80000mb etc. If it dont display it in the bios system then it aint gonna work at all. So just mess around in there and alter some values , Cylineders etc if it dont come up automaticly. (make sure that if your planning on using your new one as slave that you also set it as slave in your bios ) sounds simple enough to do that.

I think your motherboard is compatable with your 80 gb hard drive. as you allready use one. if not visit your motherboards site to get a updated bios.

If your hard drive is the ten pin (how many pins located on the jumper setting) then try the following

Either if you want it to be your master select the jumper setting like this

9 -7-5-3-1
: :
10-8-6-4-2

If you cant work that out its a jumper going from 5 -6 and another jumper going from 1-2.

If you want it to be a slave try this

9 -7-5-3-1
: :
10-8-6-4-2

thats 3-4 and 2-1.

Use these settings only if its a 10 pin model and if you have no other options left.

The hard drive will register as a 2.1 gb. if it comes up on your screen then the hard drive is working, but something else is not.

Its late and some of that might not make sense.

If you cant work out what ive wrote ask me.

N B
Thu 13/03/03 at 22:26
Regular
a few things mate....

First, the reason why a hard drive is detected below the sold size is that there are 1024 bits in a byte but hard drive manafacturers use the rule that there are 1000 bits in a byte (for some stupid reason) also you will lose some space after formatting.

Second, is you drive actually spinning up? if not then it could be a power problem or a dead drive.

Third, are you booting from the windows 98 cd rom?

fourth, Does you motherboard have ata133 controler?

fifth, what spec pc have you got?

answer those for me mate.

c.b.
Thu 13/03/03 at 19:17
Regular
"bing bang bong"
First of all, we iz azzuming that you are actually attempting to detect the new disk. It is possible to set the BIOS up so that it will sail through H/D detection and only stop if it finds something has changed, and won't attempt to scan for new hardware. Make sure you're either scanning manually (in the BIOS screens somewhere) or getting it to autodetect.

The next thing I'd try is just the drive on it's own, with no other master/slave present on its channel. I have two WD drives, they have a unique (well, I've never seen it before) jumper setting which differentiates between MASTER WITH SLAVE PRESENT and SINGLE MASTER. My WD drives get in a strop if you get this wrong and refuse to play - check that you're not inadvertently setting this wrong.

So assuming the drive is set as SINGLE MASTER and the IDE channel is known to work, the only other problem can be with the cable. The UDMA133 specification demands a short cable - check yours isn't more than about 30cm long, and make sure you're plugging the drive into the end of the cable.

If none of this work, it looks like the drive is DOA. It would be helpful to try the drive in another computer if possible (although if it is too old it won't like 80GB anyway). Make sure you have the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard (I looked it up, it's an MSI). Also get your head down and listen to the drive as it powers up - hard disks make very distinct noises when they spin up, if your WD is not making this (or is clicking or something 'orrible) then it's probably fecked.
Thu 13/03/03 at 17:36
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
a) My older drive (this drive now) is an 80GB, so that can't be it.
b) I've followed the diagrams on each Drive to set the jumpers correctly.

- New Drive, doesn't detect at all.
- Current Drive (the one I wish to replace), detects fine.
- Second Drive (the smaller one I intend to keep) used to detect fine, still does with the current drive, but doesn't when set as slave to the new Drive.
c) That's what I expect :(

All I remember about the Motherboard is that it's newish, and is KT266A Chipset based. The manual says K7T226 Pro2 on the front, so that might be the name of the board :)

Hardware isn't my strongest area :)
Thu 13/03/03 at 17:23
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Either:

a) Your BIOS doesn't support 80GB drives. See my last post.
b) Have mucked up your jumpers/settings somehow
c) Have a duff drive

In probably that order of likeliness. What is your motherboard?
Thu 13/03/03 at 16:34
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, what a worth while investment :) the bloody thing doesn't work.

After replaceing it for the older drive, setting the jumpers, plugging it in and switching it on, with the Floopy in place and the Windows 2000 D in the drive, I was all ready to Format and install.

Problem is though, the computer doens't pick the drive up as being there, and now my second, smaller drive doesn't show up as existing either.

After many calls and reading any books I can on the subject, I've put the old drive back in for now, just to have a semi-working PC.

Does this sound like a simple settings problem, something that I can alter in the BIOS to get the drive to be detected, or have I been delivered a duff drive???

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.