GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smoking and Popularity"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/03/03 at 18:09
Regular
What is the connection to popularity/being ‘cool’ and smoking cigarettes?

When walking through the corridors at my school I find myself overhearing many conversations between the younger students about smoking. “Have you got any fags Tricia?”, “We can go behind the huts at break time”. Whenever I hear something like this I really find myself tempted to give them a quick slap and ask WHY!?

When walking out of school, ten times out of ten I will see a group of teens gathered round one person, ‘The Beholder’ as I like to call them. The Beholder is someone who has an older brother or sister that buys them fags, or they stole them from their parents.

The Beholder can always get a lot of respect for having cigarettes on them, people wanting to try the cigarettes will have to do some serious butt-kissing to impress The Beholder. If they succeed then The Beholder (I’m tired of typing that so from now on I will refer to The Beholder as ‘Barry’) will let them have just the one toke on the cigarette, the butt-kisser will cough and then make the ultimate decision in their life.

Decision Number 1:
Will I pretend that I like it?
If the person makes this decision then the next three or four years of their life have been chosen. The chance is, the person will ask for another toke perhaps at a later date, then Barry will think “hmm he’s/she’s pretty cool I’ll most defiantly be hanging with that cool cat again” The nutters can then slowly move into steady smoking, mostly after school, whilst gaining more members of the group on the way. By year 8 you will then have the schools designated popular crew of that year.

Decision Number 2:
Will I gag and walk away?
“Ergh, that was disgusting, as if you like those things!” – We have a winner.
Making this decision is wise, im my view, but who knows you might end up smoking anyway.

I believe that smoking and being good at PE are the only two things that can get you in to the popular crowd at school, which is rather ironic. Smoking being the one of the main health issues in the world today, and PE being the governments way of getting us fit.

Smoking amongst the younger generations I find rather unexplainable. I don’t understand the fact that whether you damage your organs or not defines who you are in society. When you think about all types of smoking in general it really is quite funny.

Ha that’s humans for you.
Fri 07/03/03 at 20:03
Regular
"es argh"
CHANGE YOUR NAME!

Like you said you would

*hiss*
Fri 07/03/03 at 18:56
Regular
"Uve Got 2 b The Bes"
My parents don't smoke (kinda), my dad despises it, and my mum smokes when she is with her friends.

I have probably smoked about 3 whole cigarettes so far, if you combine all the separate puffs that I've had.

My first one was when i was about 12, my sisters made me try it, I coughed my head off. I've hated them ever since, but still, if im drinking, or at work, then maybe I could go for one.

I hate to admit it, but when im stresed at work it does help.

But normal every day life, I can't stand the smell.
Often makes me gag.
Fri 07/03/03 at 18:48
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I think there were around five people in my year group when I finished secondary school who had never smoked a cigarette, me being among them. My reason being that my parents were both lifelong smokers, and although my mum has given up my dad has not. Hearing him violently coughing and choking in the mornings is enough of a deterrent for me.

To be honest though, I have no real problem with other people smoking though, even in pubs and other enclosed areas. How many people do you know of who've died from passive smoking? Sure, it's not good for me, but so long as it doesn't happen too often my lungs will be fully fit. It amuses me when people complain about smokers damaging their health, whilst tucking into a plate of chips.
Fri 07/03/03 at 18:23
I have never had a cigerette in my life *note, i am only 15* i havent even held one, so i dont have a clue what they feel like...
Because my mum smokes, i think that this has helped me to stay away from cigerettes because they stink, every time i go past her when she is smoking, i hold my breath, because i just cant stand it...
Fri 07/03/03 at 18:15
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I started smoking when I was 13. Now, several years later, I wake up every morning wheezing like a codger. Not very cool.
Fri 07/03/03 at 18:09
Regular
"Uve Got 2 b The Bes"
What is the connection to popularity/being ‘cool’ and smoking cigarettes?

When walking through the corridors at my school I find myself overhearing many conversations between the younger students about smoking. “Have you got any fags Tricia?”, “We can go behind the huts at break time”. Whenever I hear something like this I really find myself tempted to give them a quick slap and ask WHY!?

When walking out of school, ten times out of ten I will see a group of teens gathered round one person, ‘The Beholder’ as I like to call them. The Beholder is someone who has an older brother or sister that buys them fags, or they stole them from their parents.

The Beholder can always get a lot of respect for having cigarettes on them, people wanting to try the cigarettes will have to do some serious butt-kissing to impress The Beholder. If they succeed then The Beholder (I’m tired of typing that so from now on I will refer to The Beholder as ‘Barry’) will let them have just the one toke on the cigarette, the butt-kisser will cough and then make the ultimate decision in their life.

Decision Number 1:
Will I pretend that I like it?
If the person makes this decision then the next three or four years of their life have been chosen. The chance is, the person will ask for another toke perhaps at a later date, then Barry will think “hmm he’s/she’s pretty cool I’ll most defiantly be hanging with that cool cat again” The nutters can then slowly move into steady smoking, mostly after school, whilst gaining more members of the group on the way. By year 8 you will then have the schools designated popular crew of that year.

Decision Number 2:
Will I gag and walk away?
“Ergh, that was disgusting, as if you like those things!” – We have a winner.
Making this decision is wise, im my view, but who knows you might end up smoking anyway.

I believe that smoking and being good at PE are the only two things that can get you in to the popular crowd at school, which is rather ironic. Smoking being the one of the main health issues in the world today, and PE being the governments way of getting us fit.

Smoking amongst the younger generations I find rather unexplainable. I don’t understand the fact that whether you damage your organs or not defines who you are in society. When you think about all types of smoking in general it really is quite funny.

Ha that’s humans for you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.