GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smoking and Popularity"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/03/03 at 18:09
Regular
What is the connection to popularity/being ‘cool’ and smoking cigarettes?

When walking through the corridors at my school I find myself overhearing many conversations between the younger students about smoking. “Have you got any fags Tricia?”, “We can go behind the huts at break time”. Whenever I hear something like this I really find myself tempted to give them a quick slap and ask WHY!?

When walking out of school, ten times out of ten I will see a group of teens gathered round one person, ‘The Beholder’ as I like to call them. The Beholder is someone who has an older brother or sister that buys them fags, or they stole them from their parents.

The Beholder can always get a lot of respect for having cigarettes on them, people wanting to try the cigarettes will have to do some serious butt-kissing to impress The Beholder. If they succeed then The Beholder (I’m tired of typing that so from now on I will refer to The Beholder as ‘Barry’) will let them have just the one toke on the cigarette, the butt-kisser will cough and then make the ultimate decision in their life.

Decision Number 1:
Will I pretend that I like it?
If the person makes this decision then the next three or four years of their life have been chosen. The chance is, the person will ask for another toke perhaps at a later date, then Barry will think “hmm he’s/she’s pretty cool I’ll most defiantly be hanging with that cool cat again” The nutters can then slowly move into steady smoking, mostly after school, whilst gaining more members of the group on the way. By year 8 you will then have the schools designated popular crew of that year.

Decision Number 2:
Will I gag and walk away?
“Ergh, that was disgusting, as if you like those things!” – We have a winner.
Making this decision is wise, im my view, but who knows you might end up smoking anyway.

I believe that smoking and being good at PE are the only two things that can get you in to the popular crowd at school, which is rather ironic. Smoking being the one of the main health issues in the world today, and PE being the governments way of getting us fit.

Smoking amongst the younger generations I find rather unexplainable. I don’t understand the fact that whether you damage your organs or not defines who you are in society. When you think about all types of smoking in general it really is quite funny.

Ha that’s humans for you.
Sun 09/03/03 at 22:47
"Uzi Lover"
Smoking smells.

Peace out.

No really, I know exactly what your talking about. Once a little, sweet innocent girl and then a wannabe with the crowd smoking fit person. But it doesn't matter how fit they are if their breath stinks.

There was a girl who use to be in some of my classes, she was nice looking and all that but her breath was like something which just came out my as$! People would go "shes well fit" but I'd go "Did you have a cold or something when you were talkign to her face to face?".

I haven't tried it, I won't do either.
Sat 08/03/03 at 17:57
"The Will of D."
Robin wrote:
> I have never had a cigerette in my life *note, i am only 15* i havent
> even held one, so i dont have a clue what they feel like...
> Because my mum smokes, i think that this has helped me to stay away
> from cigerettes because they stink, every time i go past her when she
> is smoking, i hold my breath, because i just cant stand it...

Hey jet another thing we have in common Robin. But thwe only difference for me is that my Dad is the smoker and he stopped about 3 years ago but has now started again but only while playing in cribbage tournaments at pubs around the area. never smokes in the house unless we are all away and then covers it up with spray that we've always bought becuase of years ago.
Sat 08/03/03 at 15:49
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
He was there first.

:-D
Sat 08/03/03 at 14:45
Regular
"es argh"
*hiss*

I am the true Badgerman, phoney!
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:59
Regular
"Uve Got 2 b The Bes"
Badgerman wrote:
> CHANGE YOUR NAME!
>
> Like you said you would
>
> *hiss*

...no?
Sat 08/03/03 at 11:31
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Smoking is fun. Once you get used to it, it tastes nice.

No point in being 'cool', to be honest. If you like it, do it, and if you dont, dont.
Fri 07/03/03 at 20:26
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Ant wrote:
> Being good at PE, I've found, does make you more popular for a limited
> amount of time...
>
> A gorgeous girl in my year (total bimbo but still) had never actually
> talked to me before the Year 10 District Sports where I came 5th in
> the 100m final (2nd in the heat), was cheering me on screaming
> "go on Ant!"

Much the same thing happened to me, a girl I liked never looked at me twice but then in the cricket inter-form (indoor) I was the only batsman left and had to hit 20 of 2 over’s to win, which I did, then she was all over me. But by this point I didn’t like her much anymore, so I turned her down. Expect to see a movie of this at some point in the future.
Fri 07/03/03 at 20:24
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I've never smoked.
Fri 07/03/03 at 20:21
Regular
"I like cheese"
Being good at PE, I've found, does make you more popular for a limited amount of time...

A gorgeous girl in my year (total bimbo but still) had never actually talked to me before the Year 10 District Sports where I came 5th in the 100m final (2nd in the heat), was cheering me on screaming "go on Ant!"

But then the athletics season was over, and she ain't spoken to me since apart from asking for a pen in Life Skills. Ah well. :D
Fri 07/03/03 at 20:16
Regular
"Baros!!!"
All you are doing is paying for a expensive death. Smoking and being good at P.E. doesn't always make you popular. In some cases it might, but in most it's not.

My advice is to just be you and not to act like your somebody else.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.