GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smoking and Popularity"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/03/03 at 18:09
Regular
What is the connection to popularity/being ‘cool’ and smoking cigarettes?

When walking through the corridors at my school I find myself overhearing many conversations between the younger students about smoking. “Have you got any fags Tricia?”, “We can go behind the huts at break time”. Whenever I hear something like this I really find myself tempted to give them a quick slap and ask WHY!?

When walking out of school, ten times out of ten I will see a group of teens gathered round one person, ‘The Beholder’ as I like to call them. The Beholder is someone who has an older brother or sister that buys them fags, or they stole them from their parents.

The Beholder can always get a lot of respect for having cigarettes on them, people wanting to try the cigarettes will have to do some serious butt-kissing to impress The Beholder. If they succeed then The Beholder (I’m tired of typing that so from now on I will refer to The Beholder as ‘Barry’) will let them have just the one toke on the cigarette, the butt-kisser will cough and then make the ultimate decision in their life.

Decision Number 1:
Will I pretend that I like it?
If the person makes this decision then the next three or four years of their life have been chosen. The chance is, the person will ask for another toke perhaps at a later date, then Barry will think “hmm he’s/she’s pretty cool I’ll most defiantly be hanging with that cool cat again” The nutters can then slowly move into steady smoking, mostly after school, whilst gaining more members of the group on the way. By year 8 you will then have the schools designated popular crew of that year.

Decision Number 2:
Will I gag and walk away?
“Ergh, that was disgusting, as if you like those things!” – We have a winner.
Making this decision is wise, im my view, but who knows you might end up smoking anyway.

I believe that smoking and being good at PE are the only two things that can get you in to the popular crowd at school, which is rather ironic. Smoking being the one of the main health issues in the world today, and PE being the governments way of getting us fit.

Smoking amongst the younger generations I find rather unexplainable. I don’t understand the fact that whether you damage your organs or not defines who you are in society. When you think about all types of smoking in general it really is quite funny.

Ha that’s humans for you.
Mon 10/03/03 at 19:21
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> No... it has been a number of months since I've had a fag.

Funniest thing i've heard in a while.
Mon 10/03/03 at 19:18
Regular
"Uve Got 2 b The Bes"
Get a life.
Mon 10/03/03 at 16:59
Regular
"es argh"
AfroJoe wrote:
> He was there first.
>
> :-D

HISS

But I have made more contributions.

I am the true owner of "Badgerman"

hmmm... I sense a badger fight
Mon 10/03/03 at 13:43
Regular
"Excommunicated"
No... it has been a number of months since I've had a fag. I don't like smoking so I overcome the want.

Usually helped by people saying:

" You ain't getting another one of my fags "
Mon 10/03/03 at 13:39
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
It would only anger them if you're "bumming fags" all the time. Unless you're always drunk? Now that's a frightening notion.
Mon 10/03/03 at 13:30
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I usually have a desire for a sly fag when I'm drunk

I've never actually bought any fags... I *borrow* them, this angers people.
Mon 10/03/03 at 12:20
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'm trying to give up.
I've lasted 3 days, but this morning I found myself sprinting to the nearest shop in a possessed state and buying the cheapest brand possible, Richmond.
I zipped one in about 30 seconds flat, and it knocked me dizzy.
I've just recovered after 15 minutes of feeling queasy.
It's a drug addiction, and I'm sick to the back teeth of them.
Mon 10/03/03 at 10:31
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I remember the first time I tried a cigarette...

I used to sit with a mate and eat my packed lunch at school in the first year when i was 11. One day we noticed two of our mates walking out of school to the woods (we had a mini forest that kids went through as a short cut to get to school). After a few days, curiosity finally got the better of us and we decided to follow them. We ambushed them with wild shouts and screams (the head of our year routinely took prefects out with him at lunch time to catch people sneaking out of school in the "woods". We attempted to replicate the terror of being discovered) After their initial shock, we finally collared them and found them smoking cigs. I bravely asked what it was like and one of them said, "I'll save you a bit".
He handed me the cigarette and I started blowing on it. When nothing happened, he started laughing and said, No, you idiot! You've got to SUCK in on the fag!"

So I started to inhale the cig and was immediately racked with a horrible coughing fit. I quickly unscrewed my Garfield flask with deft fingers and took long gulps of the sweet orange squash contained therein.

Vowing never to smoke them again, I held true to my promise...for another four years. Now I smoke quite a few cigs but I'm attempting to give up on the 1st of April...watch this space.
Mon 10/03/03 at 09:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I smoke, I enjoy it.
You dont smoke, you dont enjoy it.
I dont force people to smoke, non-smokers get out of my face and eat your lettuce.

End of story.
Shut up.
Sun 09/03/03 at 23:57
Regular
*Waits for Goatboy's "Scientists have proof that smokers are 47% cooler than non-smokers" reply.*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.