GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"my friends internet explorer problem"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/02/03 at 17:47
Regular
one of my friends has a problem with his laptop, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what might be the problem/solution...

For the most part it works fine. He's got a 850MHz pentium 3 mobile chip, and windows 98.
His internet explorer is ok, unless you open up another window in it, at which point there is a high probability that it will freeze and will stop responding.
he uses task manager to close IE, then has to re-open a new window in it...

He's run a full virus check, came up clear. deleted a load of files in case it was a hard drive problem (it being too full or something).
It seems that only IE is affected.

Just wondering if there's anything he can do to fix it. :)
Sun 16/02/03 at 13:00
Regular
"relocated"
OK, now I look pretty stupid. I'm already using 1.2.1: I'll have to go and install everything on mozdev.org in an attempt to get back on the cutting edge. And yes, Type-Find Ahead is very good, if stupidly named. In 1.3b it's called 'find as you type' - these guys think of everything!
Sun 16/02/03 at 12:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
http://www.sine-wave.net/stuff/gestures.png

You were saying?

:-D

Dude you should upgrade to 1.2.1, it rocks. Have you tried Type-Find Ahead? Probably the best thing to happen to browsers since tabs imho. I got the gestures plugin from mozdev.org I think. Just google for mozilla gestures.

Oh, and read this: http://www.google.com/mozilla/google-search.html

Classy stuff ;-)

Indeed Mozilla is the true browser of kings.
Sun 16/02/03 at 11:21
Regular
"relocated"
unknown kernel wrote:
> Testify!

Mozilla is the best browser, especially on a slower computer with a narrowband connection. Using the internet on my mum's puny PII333 was hell on earth with IE: after I installed Mozilla (and removed the IE desktop icon like a true zealot) things became almost pleasurable. It is much, much, much faster - for a few minutes I thought she had sneakily installed ISDN.

It needs Opera-style waving about commands (technical term) to complete the package though.
Sun 16/02/03 at 11:13
Regular
"relocated"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I've tried them all and I have to say that Mozilla is the best.

Testify!
Sun 16/02/03 at 11:11
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
But lots of winodws is excellent. There's nothing like having a windows taskbar three rows deep packed full of browser windows, notepad windows and various image manipulation products.

Until it all crashes anyway.
Sun 16/02/03 at 11:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Miserableman wrote:
> I use Opera, but I disable its tabbed option and make it behave like
> IE, opening a new window each time. Those tabs drive me crazy!

What! Tabs are the best thing about all these browsers! Having multiple windows open drives me insane!
Sun 16/02/03 at 10:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I've tried them all and I have to say that Mozilla is the best.
Sun 16/02/03 at 01:00
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I use Opera, but I disable its tabbed option and make it behave like IE, opening a new window each time. Those tabs drive me crazy!
Sat 15/02/03 at 22:12
"Bothered!"
I would personally use the Opera Explorer, its much better than IE because if you open other windows of the explorer, it doesn´t open a completely different one however a tab within the explorer main window. This, I highly recommend. Alternatively, you can completely delete internet explorer in Safe Mode and then reinstall it from anywhere. Either make sure that you download another explorer first or that you have IE on disc.

Hope this helps.
Sat 15/02/03 at 20:58
Regular
"lifes a game"
i use avant browser (avantbrowser.com), uses many of ies files but seems to be more reliable, and looks better! Has a built in pop up blocker. I'm using it cos my ie 5.5 has some sorta error so it spits out mshtml.dll errors for no reason.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.