GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"my friends internet explorer problem"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/02/03 at 17:47
Regular
one of my friends has a problem with his laptop, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what might be the problem/solution...

For the most part it works fine. He's got a 850MHz pentium 3 mobile chip, and windows 98.
His internet explorer is ok, unless you open up another window in it, at which point there is a high probability that it will freeze and will stop responding.
he uses task manager to close IE, then has to re-open a new window in it...

He's run a full virus check, came up clear. deleted a load of files in case it was a hard drive problem (it being too full or something).
It seems that only IE is affected.

Just wondering if there's anything he can do to fix it. :)
Thu 20/02/03 at 00:47
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Click twice? Dude you only have to click the tab. Does Opera have
> auto-hide tabs or something? Man that's gay.
>
> As for clunkiness, when was the last time you used mozilla? The 1.2
> strain is way more "together" than IE, feel a lot more
> solid. As for stability, well, I have to say Mozilla has crashed on me
> only about 5 times since I started using it about 8 months ago. I
> remember in my IE5.5. days it was a lot more frequent than that, and
> IE 6 on this machine has crashed once, which is quite impressive
> considering my total usage time for IE in 8 months has to be under an
> hour :D

If I am using, say, MS Word and Opera/Mozilla with tabs enabled, I have Word enabled and I want to switch to one of the many web pages I have open in my browser, it will take me two clicks - one to switch to the browser, one to switch to the page, with a considerable mouse move in between. Without tabs I don't get that, and I've never had a problem with having multiple browser windows open.

Actually, the last Mozilla version I used was one up from yours, 1.3a, which is supposed to be a lot more stable than 1.2. Mozilla's not badly unstable, but I find on WinXP it hits the deck a lot more regularly than Opera does or IE ever did, and one window crashing would take all the rest with it. I find it has no real redeeming features over Opera 7 (other than it not being adware, although I haven't used Opera for long enough to get the ads yet). I don't like the mail client on either - Opera's is just naff whichever way you look at it, while Mozillamail nicely seperates individual accounts but has some desperate screen performance issues and the spam filtering features need binning and restarting.
Wed 19/02/03 at 22:04
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
BEARDS. wrote:
> But lots of winodws is excellent. There's nothing like having a
> windows taskbar three rows deep packed full of browser windows,
> notepad windows and various image manipulation products.

My personal best is 127 open windows without crashing... try ALT + TABing through that lot!
Wed 19/02/03 at 22:02
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I've tried them all and I have to say that Mozilla is the best.

Indeed Moz "IS" the best, and I thought I'd never hear myself say that! (Closley followed by NN7 and IE6)
Wed 19/02/03 at 21:50
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
I sent off the information from the earlier part of this thread to my friend by email...
saw him on sunday and had to explain it, so I think now he's going to try to fix it sometime this week.
he has though updated IE recently and it is behaving itself slightly more now, but is still prone to crash (don't know what version of IE he's using now)
Sun 16/02/03 at 19:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Click twice? Dude you only have to click the tab. Does Opera have auto-hide tabs or something? Man that's gay.

As for clunkiness, when was the last time you used mozilla? The 1.2 strain is way more "together" than IE, feel a lot more solid. As for stability, well, I have to say Mozilla has crashed on me only about 5 times since I started using it about 8 months ago. I remember in my IE5.5. days it was a lot more frequent than that, and IE 6 on this machine has crashed once, which is quite impressive considering my total usage time for IE in 8 months has to be under an hour :D
Sun 16/02/03 at 17:37
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I hate the tabs because it would drive me insane having to click twice to get to any webpage I have open (the same reason I disable grouping on Windows/Linux). Mozilla is quite nice, but still needs work, it's not nearly as stable as IE or Opera, and is very very clunky in places. Mozilla mail behaves like a 16bit application in places. Opera is disturbingly swish, although it's mail client is quite frankly b*llocks.

My preferred solution to internet/email is Opera as my browser, and Pocomail as my email client. Pocomail has the most aggressive policy towards junk spam I've ever seen, it just needs Mozilla's seperation of inbox's for each account and it's sorted.
Sun 16/02/03 at 14:05
Regular
"relocated"
Well, someone has to encourage the virus writers of the world :P
Sun 16/02/03 at 13:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Mozilla Mail is nice, but I prefer Outlook Express really. Dunno why, just do I suppose :D
Sun 16/02/03 at 13:23
Regular
"relocated"
It's not much different from 1.2.1 to be honest. I don't use the email client either, so it's a bit of a pointless update for me. Actually I probably should use the email bit because I don't have a client at all on my Windows installation. I just use my ISP's web interface, which is really rubbish and annoying.
Sun 16/02/03 at 13:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Ah I haven't tried 1.3b as I'm not interested in the E-mail client. Is it any good?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.