GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Over-intellectual"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/02/03 at 01:41
Regular
Quick question.

If you used the word "incompatible" in a conversation, would you expect to be told that you use words that are too big and not relevant to the conversation. In the context I used it, it was in regards to compatibility between individuals in relationships. ie - some people are not compatible.

Is that wrong?
Sun 09/02/03 at 03:16
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Next time use antipodal instead of incompatible. That'll conbumble them. I like long words. One of my favourites is pantechnicon, which is a large van for moving furniture.

Good innit?
Sun 09/02/03 at 02:42
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Insane Bartender wrote:
> If you used the word "incompatible" in a conversation, would
> you expect to be told that you use words that are too big and not
> relevant to the conversation.

Only if I were talking to someone less intelligent than myself.
Sun 09/02/03 at 02:27
Regular
"smile, it's free"
In answer to your question, I wouldn't expect to be told that.

'Incompatible' may be a fairly big word, but it's neither uncommon nor difficult to understand. As cookie monster mentioned, it's a word that's very appropriate for describing relationships.
Sun 09/02/03 at 02:20
Regular
"asdfjkl;"
i say 'use whatever the heck you want in talking about relationships' :), it's your vocabulary so use it how you want, e.g. 'this here lesser-spotted door mouse *isn't compatible* with this here leathery (almost extinct)white rhino, in the sexual sense. Whereas 'this here lesser-spotted door mouse *is compatible* with this here leathery (almost extinct)white rhino, in any other sense(which i cant think of, maybe you can?).

Any way that was utter gibberish, hope you sort *the compatibilty* problem out :)
Sun 09/02/03 at 01:50
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I think that phrases involving compatiblilty are more than appropriate for relationships.
Sun 09/02/03 at 01:47
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Well *I* wouldnt use that word.

Its more used by me in terms of games and computer stuff.
eg. This NTSC game is incompatible with your PS2 because your PS2 is PAL.
That thing is incompatible with your PC, it just wont work.

Heck, what am I saying, I dont even used that word because it makes my sentence sound funny.

Id say "isnt compatible"... if anything.

As for your situation, dont know if id use that word in that context but it shows you can form a better sentence than "I dont think they suit eachother" - or whatever.

:-)
Sun 09/02/03 at 01:41
"Darkness, always"
Quick question.

If you used the word "incompatible" in a conversation, would you expect to be told that you use words that are too big and not relevant to the conversation. In the context I used it, it was in regards to compatibility between individuals in relationships. ie - some people are not compatible.

Is that wrong?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.