GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Over-intellectual"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/02/03 at 01:41
Regular
Quick question.

If you used the word "incompatible" in a conversation, would you expect to be told that you use words that are too big and not relevant to the conversation. In the context I used it, it was in regards to compatibility between individuals in relationships. ie - some people are not compatible.

Is that wrong?
Sun 09/02/03 at 10:05
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
OK, bear with me on this because it takes a lot of explaining.

IB's initial post I considered to be a rhetorical question, more of an exclamation about how some people can be very oblique when involved in an argument. (He was probably rowing with his missus, but that's just a guess. If he was, then the post is definitely rhetorical). Therefore, he's really just looking for agreement from fellow forum users that he's right, which in this case he is. (Depends on his viewpoint).

Then, Rosalind (who I'm typing this for by way of an apology as I she took offence where none was intended, see later), mentioned that speaking Latin was a little pompous, over the top if you will if used in an argument, by way of which she vindicated IB initially, which was what he was after by my way of considering his first post.

So I said Q.E.D (quod erat demonstrandum) which basically means 'that which was being demonstrated). Totally over the top of course, because it's in Latin, which Rosalind was saying was over the top in the first place. This, of course, got me giggling.

Then Rosalind fuels the humour factory a little more by posting *confused*, which puts her in the position of IB's (imaginary by my part) protagonist. So adding nm, (never mind), in the next post just served as a punchline for my incredibly feeble yet cerebral wit, nm being the complete antithesis to both IB's post and Q.E.D.

So, Rosalind, it's not what I wrote in Latin, that's not really the funny bit, it's the 'nm' at the end. Not knowing what quod erat demonstrandum meant didn't matter, (so I wasn't getting at you personally) it's the whole thread being rounded off perfectly in an intellectual manner with perfect irony, which is my favourite sort of wit, which made me LOL.

God I'm funny.

Thing is, very few people are going to get the joke, because you had to know exactly the way my mind was working at the time to understand where the punchline was, the joke that the punchline was referring to, and what my initial views of the thread were in the first place. And that would take an IQ of genius proportions to work out, even after I've explained the way I was thinking above, because despite being semi-intelligent I still have a lot of trouble explaining my thoughts in a clear and precise way, due to the fact that writing is fairly linear and thoughts tend to be very non-serial in comparison.
Sun 09/02/03 at 09:41
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
IQ and knowledge of Latin are two entirly seperate things.

*offended now*
Sun 09/02/03 at 09:33
Regular
*Realises that very few people below IQ160 will actually get the joke, so shuffles off for a cup of coffee and pretends nobody saw his post*
Sun 09/02/03 at 09:33
Regular
*Made myself LOL there with my incredible wit*
Sun 09/02/03 at 09:32
Regular
nm
Sun 09/02/03 at 09:30
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
*confused*
Sun 09/02/03 at 09:18
Regular
Quot erat demonstrandum.
Sun 09/02/03 at 09:10
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
This whole thing about using 'big words' that has somehow got attached to you is petty. If people don't understand what you mean then they can ask or look it up in a dictionary. How else do we expand our vocabulary?

The speaking latin is a bit more pompus though.
Sun 09/02/03 at 08:42
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
You awake offly early R18
Sun 09/02/03 at 08:39
Regular
Quick answer.

No.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.