GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Best 5 movies you've seen in you entire life"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/02/03 at 19:09
Regular
name me your 5 best movies you've seen in your life and your %(percentege) for the movie.Here are my top 5.

1.Lord Of The Rings:The two Towers (100%)
2.signs (98%)
3.Spiderman (95%)
4.Predator 1 (93%)
5.Pradator 2 (91%)

Come on.
Mon 17/02/03 at 19:25
Regular
The Matrix
LOTR:Fellowship Of The Ring
LOTR:Twin Towers
Waynes World 1& 2
Thu 13/02/03 at 22:20
Regular
"That's right!"
Armageddon
The Matrix
Goodfellas (easily one of the best films ever made)
Robocop
Can't really pick a 5th, probably Aliens, The Thing, T2 or something.
Thu 13/02/03 at 18:07
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Stryke wrote:
> But,
> out of interest, who would you truly say is a great director at the
> moment? Do not say Spielberg! I'd have to go for Christopher Nolan and
> Ridley Scott.

It's a really hard question to answer because you don't have the legacy factor. You really need to stand back and see how Memento will view in ten years to decide whether it was a film of its time or a classic.

There are, however, alot of guys to get excited about. I'm loving the move back towards auteurs headed by guys like P.T. Anderson and the Coens. It can obviously never be a hard and fast rule, but when one person is with the film from start to end you tend to get a more complete and satisfying film. It's harder to water down a great script when the same guys are shooting the movie.

There are lots of people who have only made a couple of films who could be great: David Fincher, Steven Soderbergh (okay, he's made quite a few films, but not that many great ones), Alexander Payne, Ang Lee (though I think Croutching Tiger was a step in the wrong direction), Quentin Tarantino and Darren Aronofsky the best examples that come to mind at short notice. Richard Kelly is another one who looks hot, but with only one film under his belt and all...

I wouldn't be so quick to belittle Spielberg either. Without him the landscape of modern cinema would be very different. People forget that he was one of the main players in giving birth to the thriving indie scene we now have. Sure, its nice to think of Fonda and Hopper bringing down the studio system with one film, but it was largly Spielberg, Coppola, Lucas and Scorsese who (with a little help from their friends) took the risks and proved films could be made independently.
Tue 11/02/03 at 18:18
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Pulp Fiction
Ring
Battle Royale
Hard Boiled
The Thing

5 Most Watched DVDs (I don't watch them on my own)
Ocean's Eleven (5)
Don't Be A Menace... (4)
Batlle Royale (3)
Groundhog Day (2)
Pulp Fiction (2)
Tue 11/02/03 at 16:32
Regular
Stryke wrote:
> I would say Peter Jackson, but pre-LotR his films weren't
> spectacularly directed, and LotR owes more to his producing and
> adaptation of the book than directing, and the cinematographer,
> whoever he is. Anyway, Jackson wasn't the only director on the set.
> Barry Osbourne (if I remember his name from the extras) did a load of
> it too.

His earlier stuff isn't bad. The Frighteners is an excellent film, and I saw Heavenly creatures again recently which is pretty good also.

Anyway - my top films in no particular order:
- Lord of the Rings
- The Usual Suspects
- The Graduate
- Pulp Fiction
- LA Confidential
- Dr Strangelove
- The Godfather (part I)
- Fistful Of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good The Bad And The Ugly
- Taxi Driver
- Apocalypse Now
- The Muppet Christmas Carol (ahem)

That list would probably have changed by next week.
Tue 11/02/03 at 15:52
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The sagacious one wrote:
>
> The 6th was just a sham of a movie, with staid characters, weak
> jokes
> and was lacking a coherent plot.
>
> I thought that was the whole series?

No, the joke that the really quiet lady shouts very loudly at random intervals, works really well in the first five. It becomes unfunny in the sixth. Also it's hilarious that Hightower is really tall AND strong, whilst I love the fact a grown man can make noises that a five year old would be ashamed to make.

As for Tackleberry's obsession with guns, that never gets stale. Hehe TB pointed a big gun a Great white.

S' Funny.
Tue 11/02/03 at 11:09
Regular
"Twenty quid."
The Shawshank Redemption
Grosse Pointe Blank
Aliens
Blade Runner
Tue 11/02/03 at 11:05
Regular
No order.

Koyaanisqatsi
Evil Dead
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (CLEANING LADY CLEANING LADY CLEANING LADY!)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Star Wars
Batman / Returns
Good Bad Ugly trilogy
Bond films, in general
Thomas Crown Affair, Bronsan one.

I'm sure there are loads more that'll cheer me up when I remember them...
Tue 11/02/03 at 08:07
Regular
I would say Peter Jackson, but pre-LotR his films weren't spectacularly directed, and LotR owes more to his producing and adaptation of the book than directing, and the cinematographer, whoever he is. Anyway, Jackson wasn't the only director on the set. Barry Osbourne (if I remember his name from the extras) did a load of it too.

Sprry for the double-post.
Tue 11/02/03 at 08:05
Regular
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> Just think they're a wierd couple to
> choose as the highpoint of modern direction.

--

That was kinda my point. I'm saying that they'll be hailed as great directors, but only because their work is different. Not better. But, out of interest, who would you truly say is a great director at the moment? Do not say Spielberg! I'd have to go for Christopher Nolan and Ridley Scott.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.