GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Archer Maclean's Mercury (PSP) - you need this game."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Archer Maclean's Mercury'.
Wed 07/09/05 at 15:56
"High polygon count"
Marble Madness meets Super Monkey Ball, with bells on.

Some levels are an out-and-out race; some levels require great care and concentration; some levels require tasks to be performed; but all are against the clock, and the 'boss' levels are a mix of all three styles.

72 levels in total, plus multi-player.

A simple concept, beautifully executed.

Frustrating and rewarding in equal measure, and as addictive as hell.

Better, in my humble opinion, than Lumines.
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:09
"High polygon count"
No, if it was crap, I'd sell it on eBay and make a fiver on what I paid for it.
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:03
Regular
Face it, youve spent what... 30 quid? on a crap game and youre trying to make yourself feel like it was worth it, but you know it wasnt.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:39
Regular
8/10 average (roughly, before someone gets a calculator out ;-) ) strikes me as being a really good game.

It'd be a game worth buying just because I refuse to buy any of the rehashes on the console which I wouldn't buy on the PS2 either, such as Virtua Tennis, Midnight Club, Need For Speed et al.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:35
"High polygon count"
Bonus wrote:
> Apparently this game becomes a nightmare to control when you have two
> sepereate pieces of mercury to control at opposite ends of the map and
> the camera is sub-standard at best.

It's a nightmare when the Mercury is split, true - but that's all part of the game, not a 'problem' as such.

The camera is okay. It does zoom out to try and show all pieces, but you can rotate and zoom the camera at will, and zoom to any specific piece. Just takes some getting used to.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:31
"High polygon count"
lcarus wrote:
> How do you know? Sales figures aren't out yet, so the
> "generally" part is void.
>
> And blah blah, differing tastes and all that, duh.

How do I know?

Reviews.

OPSM - 8/10

Gamespot - 7.8/10

IGN - 7.7/10 (average 8.4 from users who wrote reviews)

Games Radar - 8/10

PSP411 - 92/100

Gamerz Edge - 8/10

Differing tastes are fine, but that's more of an "I didn't enjoy it" thing. "One of the poorer launch games" is clearly untrue.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:13
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> On the contrary, it's generally considered one of the better launch
> titles.

Which just gores to show the overall quality of the launch lineup :).

Apparently this game becomes a nightmare to control when you have two sepereate pieces of mercury to control at opposite ends of the map and the camera is sub-standard at best.

That's just going on opinions I've read on the Net, not first hand though.
Wed 07/09/05 at 21:58
Regular
People will say good things about virtually every launch game, for any system.. as long as theyre playable.

Mercury is one of those that you'll play, might like for a day or two but then when other games come out, realise how crap it is.

And no its not too hard. Too crap and boring, guiding a blob around. Wheres the fun in that you raging homo.
Wed 07/09/05 at 20:58
How do you know? Sales figures aren't out yet, so the "generally" part is void.

And blah blah, differing tastes and all that, duh.
Wed 07/09/05 at 19:19
"High polygon count"
On the contrary, it's generally considered one of the better launch titles.
Wed 07/09/05 at 17:56
I found the game dull. Initially, the fresh concept is interesting (at best), but pretty soon you'll get bored, despite the "varied" levels. One of the poorer launch games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.