GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why don't they reply?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/01/03 at 18:36
Regular
Okay, so I'm trying to give this freelance writing thing a go.

I've been in touch with features editors on a number of magazines, asking if they'd like to read various articles, so I've sent them to them, and I haven't even had replies.

I've sent letters to a couple of magazines, with a sample of work, even including an SAE, and still, they don't reply.

A day or so ago I sent off a story to a magazine, and they promise to reply within 3 weeks.

I shalln't hold my breath.

Anyway, it's not going to stop me, not just yet. I'm going to send out some more things. I mean, if I don't send things out, I can't get rejection letters in reply, can I? Also, on a similar train of thought, I won't get acceptance letters.

So I'll keep going.

Anyone have any experience with freelance writing, and have any advice or pointers?
Mon 13/01/03 at 11:31
"Darkness, always"
Meka, may I suggest that rather than try to throw yourself in at the deep end, you try to give your own work more credit. Literally.

There are hundreds of writing competitions across the country every year, for every conceivable thing. Poetry, Factual stories, fiction, fantasy sci-fi, news reporting, comedy, anything. And of course with many of these, the winning pieces are published in some magazine somewhere.

Most of these can be found on the net. Put together a few pieces of writing, whatever, submit to a few competitions. You never know, you might win one. In fact, I suspect you would, if you submitted some comedic piece to a right minded competition.

So, you win some competition for your writing, you get it published. Then not only can you say "I write previews for a massively biased piece of internet rubbish" but you can also say "I won the 2003 George and Stillman Writing award and had my submission printed in the May'03 edition of "Words for Literature Monthly" or something.

And if you don't get a response, keep entering competitions. You usually get some money for winning, or coming close. And in some competitions, for a nominal fee, you can get written feedback on why your piece wasn't the winner - a critique if you will. Obviously, if you win, you don't need this, since you'll get some word with the published article...

So, once you've won 5 awards, including the "Smythe and Claudio Short Writing Award" two years running, you'll be taken far more seriously by anyone who views your work.

Make sense to anyone but me? Hope so.
Mon 13/01/03 at 08:59
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Like Sagacious said, persistence.
And lots and lots of egotism/refusal to give up. Thousands and thousands send stuff unsolicited every week, and from my experience most of it just gets filed under "whatever".

And remember, most of the people already writing are really, really bad at it. No, they are. Go read a computer magazine or movie mag and just see how rubbish 75% of them are. On a par with shaved apes bashing keyboards with engorged members.
Sun 12/01/03 at 20:56
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I suppose that magazines get deluged with material from wannabe "freelancers" and as such they probably don't have the time to respond to those who haven't "made the grade".

You should follow up with a phone call or some emails, preferably speaking to the person who you submitted the work to. Also make sure that you are indeed sending your work to a named person at the mag(s) rather than the mag's address alone. If someone's role is dealing with submissions of this ilk you are more likely to get a response, than if you send your work to "PC Scene" and it ends up being read by the office junior. It may never reach the right person at the right time if this is the case. Also it looks good that you've taken the time to find out a little about their set up.

You should maybe consider sending working as recorded post or special delivery, which wouldn't cost much more than including an SAE. That way you definitley know that your work has arrived and who signed for it etc...

Persistance is the key, because you do have some genuine talent and thus it is simply a case of saturating the market (like the other zillion people) and hoping that your article (or whatever) is a timely piece that strikes a chord with the person reading it.

Good luck.
Sun 12/01/03 at 20:27
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
uksgamer2002 wrote:
> Or your crap.

Believe me, you don't win 35 free games for being crap.
Sun 12/01/03 at 20:16
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
uksgamer2002 wrote:

They'll have nicked your ideas. Or your crap.

Eww...
Sun 12/01/03 at 09:31
Regular
"not dead"
AliBoy wrote:
> Noticed a few things on the web Like a resident evil zero preview
> written by someone with the same name as you Meka. Was it you?

Indeed yes. I write previews for Cube-Europe.

That's so I can boost the profile a bit, and write to people and say "I write previews for cube-europe, now can I write features and stuff for you, and get paid for it?"

Perhaps not in those words.

But it's pretty cool that I can put my name into some search engines now, and find stuff I've done.

Also plenty I haven't done, other Ben Langley's, which can be quite comical to look at.
Sat 11/01/03 at 23:18
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Noticed a few things on the web Like a resident evil zero preview written by someone with the same name as you Meka. Was it you?
Sat 11/01/03 at 23:16
Regular
"Rendering Women."
Grix is pregnant.

On another note, you will succeed if you keep trying Meka. Try more magazines including ones like SFX.

!
Sat 11/01/03 at 21:41
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Keep at it. Why not put your stuff on your own site?
Have when-consoles-attack but also have a go with the more serious stuff.
I am sure your chance will come,

good luck
Sat 11/01/03 at 19:29
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> In a way, I'd rather get rejection letters. At least that way you may
> have some idea where you're going wrong.

ha ha, writing the thing in the first place. LOL... I'm joking.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.