GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why don't they reply?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/01/03 at 18:36
Regular
Okay, so I'm trying to give this freelance writing thing a go.

I've been in touch with features editors on a number of magazines, asking if they'd like to read various articles, so I've sent them to them, and I haven't even had replies.

I've sent letters to a couple of magazines, with a sample of work, even including an SAE, and still, they don't reply.

A day or so ago I sent off a story to a magazine, and they promise to reply within 3 weeks.

I shalln't hold my breath.

Anyway, it's not going to stop me, not just yet. I'm going to send out some more things. I mean, if I don't send things out, I can't get rejection letters in reply, can I? Also, on a similar train of thought, I won't get acceptance letters.

So I'll keep going.

Anyone have any experience with freelance writing, and have any advice or pointers?
Mon 13/01/03 at 14:54
"Darkness, always"
OK, check out the half life thread. I've been laughing to myself all weekend about that.

Brilliant.
Mon 13/01/03 at 14:50
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Denial is such an ugly thing. What would you have everyone believe?
> They didn't answer because they couldn't find time for it?
>
> How long does it take to print off a ready made template,
> apologetically rejecting your offer, and putting you down nicely and
> thanking you for your time?
>
> With the equipment they have in their PC orientated office? About 20
> seconds.
>
> So it's not a case of finding time in their hectic schedules.

It is when they 3,000 other e-mails to look through before break-time. And your estimate of 20 seconds is way too optimistic.

> Apathy? Not interested in replying to someone who is a recognised
> contributor to the magazine? Self-defeating isn't it?

Just a small point, I'm not a recognised contributor, that was my second attempt.

> No, more a case of hoping that by ignoring you, they won't encourage
> you to write anything more.

There would be no conceivable reason why that would be the case, they actively encourage entries from everyone.

> Bored.

Me too. Can't you find anything better to do than poo-poo my attempts at writing? I'm sure it would suit both of us better if we picked a decent topic.
Mon 13/01/03 at 14:36
"Darkness, always"
Denial is such an ugly thing. What would you have everyone believe? They didn't answer because they couldn't find time for it?

How long does it take to print off a ready made template, apologetically rejecting your offer, and putting you down nicely and thanking you for your time?

With the equipment they have in their PC orientated office? About 20 seconds.

So it's not a case of finding time in their hectic schedules.

Apathy? Not interested in replying to someone who is a recognised contributor to the magazine? Self-defeating isn't it?

No, more a case of hoping that by ignoring you, they won't encourage you to write anything more.

Bored.
Mon 13/01/03 at 14:29
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Not even the barest scraping of reason or logic in that last post. I'll save my breath (uh, or fingers :-) ) for more challenging arguments.
Mon 13/01/03 at 14:18
"Darkness, always"
Fine then. They're ignoring you because they suspect that you are in fact, an utterly crap writer, but have managed to put together a decent review probably with the help of several friends and/or family members. They think that anyone obsessed enough to send in reviews in such a manner and then ask to be let into the office is too dangerous to be around, and they generally don't want you anywhere near them.

Your letters begging for audience are given all the due care and attention of spam mail promising firm thighs or larger genetalia, and for the most part, probably disgarded before the intended message leaves the envelope in which it got there.

Truth, as they say, is often better than fiction.
Mon 13/01/03 at 14:04
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> It's not apathy, it's a combination of cigarettes, alcohol and an
> obscene number of hours spent playing PC games. They're not apathetic,
> they just can't drum up the motivation to do something out of the norm
> because they're so completely moronified in their substance lacking
> existence.

What drivel. I don't want to hear your inane and untrue babblings. Peer beyond the thin veneer that surrounds stereotypical PC gamers and stop posting banal comments that only exemplify your own ignorance.
Mon 13/01/03 at 13:35
"Darkness, always"
It's not apathy, it's a combination of cigarettes, alcohol and an obscene number of hours spent playing PC games. They're not apathetic, they just can't drum up the motivation to do something out of the norm because they're so completely moronified in their substance lacking existence.

Don't want to be like that do you?
Mon 13/01/03 at 13:28
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
I was highlighting the apathy of people when they don't even bother to reply. Even when I win one of their competitions they still can't be arsed.
Mon 13/01/03 at 13:25
"Darkness, always"
review of the month in PC gamer is hardly the same as receiving £1000 for winning the "Harvey and Dundlemutton Short Author Award" is it?

And would you really want work experience in a magazine office? Those places are dens of filth, littered with cigarette butts, empty beer cans, crisp packets and game walkthroughs.

You'd probably catch something.
Mon 13/01/03 at 13:10
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
There is some sense in what Bartender says, but in practise it isn't so simple. I've just won the Review of the month in the very latest PC Gamer magazine. However, when I e-mailed them asking only for work experience, they too failed to even respond. Twice. Grrrrr!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.