GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Humbug."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/12/02 at 13:12
Regular
torticullis' semi-comprehensible drivel and theannoying_one's two second contribution drive out my "rage" and "insults" threads respectively and win the GADs.

Being the bitter person I am, I'll complain about this. Why? Because I can.

I mean, for christ's sake, does no-one actually read these posts? In fact, forget that question. I know they don't. If they did, the likes of "Vive City Rap" (yes, I'm ranting about that toss again) wouoldn't even be in contention for spitting at, much less winning something.

Alas, whatever decent writing I put on here is simply handed off as over-intellectual babble. I can only assume that whoever is deciding GAD these days has the literacy of a five year old orangutang.

I don't deliberately try to win GAD, and to be honest, in the past I've won it unjustly once or twice myself. But even those posts were at least interesting to read, brought forward debatable points, and were generally of some quality. But when I put together a decent post (or five), I don't expect to win, as there are a lot of good quality posts on the forums on a daily basis, so when some utter drivel wins ahead of not only mine, but a dozen other far more worthy posts, it makes a mockery of the whole system.

Ooh, he hasn't won before, drop him a prize for persistence.

It's about time they re-wrote the GAD rules:

"Post on the forums, and your name will be dropped into a hat, or simply burned if you're any good, and you can win a prize at random."

That said, they say that taste is a relative thing, so we're back to the literacy level and ability of the GAD reviewers to hold their attention on a post long enough to make a decent decision.

I could rant all day, but I won't. And to the cynics among you, I'm bitter because crap posts keep winning, not because I don't. Vice City sodding Rap.

Jesus christ. I'd rather rub my face against high grade sandpaper for half an hour and then apply some old spice than read that sort of toss.

IB
Mon 16/12/02 at 16:20
Regular
"Excommunicated"
They want a positive, friendly gaming post to win each day... not something that actually is the best post of the day.
Mon 16/12/02 at 16:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Why do I win sometimes then?
All of mine have been head-wrong shouty posts or bizarre things that bounce around my brainpan
Mon 16/12/02 at 16:57
Regular
"everyone says it"
Seriously though. Is it fair? Its as fair as it will ever be because until robots can decide and give an overall average for every post there won't be a fair win in anything. I think my 'Better than Secret of Mana' post is better than the Oasis game crap on the 12th. Yet I didn't write it to win or anything, I wrote it because I couldn't get to sleep and enjoy the game a lot.
Mon 16/12/02 at 17:21
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Nobody likes a whiny girl.

Still, I do think that theannoyingone won for pretty much the same topic twice in a week.
Mon 16/12/02 at 17:27
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
With all due respect to the person who picks GAD, the Winning choices are dubious to say the least.

In a nutshell, I agree that un-exciting and uninspired posts seem to win ahead of the better, more thought-out posts. Which isn't right.

But, I suppose it's the old adage of them having to read EVERY post as a potential GAD attemt, and maybe yours just flew over their heads? It may happen to a lot of people, and has certainly happened to me.

AND, maybe if the GAD prize is hard to judge, what with reading every post, etc, then get a few people on the job; whittle it down to 10 potential candidates for the GAD, and everyone read 'em again, and decide as thusly.
Tue 17/12/02 at 12:59
Insane Bartender wrote:
> like i care. what am I? Mr impeccable spelling?

Well, you said they have the literacy of a five year old orangtun(g), but spelt it wrong. Bit hypocritical.
Tue 17/12/02 at 18:50
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I've won GAD twice, and I can honestly say I don't know why they won.

One was half a screen about old games and the days of spectrum e.t.c. I.e standard retrospective rose tinted glasses rubbish, the other was about a screen length about the fact local computer shops had shut ages ago in my town.

Neither we're brilliant, to me, and we'ren't pre planned, but they won.

I agree IB, some stupid stuff is winning, but anyone who says that just gets told "well only because you want to win" e.t.c.

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 17/12/02 at 19:01
Regular
"bing bang bong"
The Oasis post was better than your insult post. Not in terms of effort, but it was more readable and funnier. Not quite what I would call a GAD winner, but I'm not the one who has to read all the posts on a set day :O)
Tue 17/12/02 at 23:22
Belldandy wrote:
> I agree IB, some stupid stuff is winning, but anyone who says that
> just gets told "well only because you want to win" e.t.c.

But....that's the truth. At least in this case anyway. IB did a post about how to insult people, and he thought it should win GAD. When it didn't he threw a tantrum.

Now, if somebody had never made a GAD attempt, then made a post such as this suggesting numerous would-be-winners from previous days other than themselves, that would be nice.
Wed 18/12/02 at 11:41
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
No, *I* Would win 4-5 times a week.

Get it right Maude.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.