GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Laptops...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/12/02 at 19:58
Regular
hey guys, hows it goin?
im buying myself a laptop for christmas and i was wonderin if they are any good for playin games on? games from age of empires to unreal tournament etc. ive heard that they can sometimes be problematic with games and i was just wonderin if any of ye guys had one (or knew about them for games).
any help greatly appreciated.
Amos.
PS. the specs are... (ish) 2.4gHz, 256ram, 30gb hard drive, 32mb graphics (shared) etc. cheers again!
Tue 10/12/02 at 19:58
Regular
"NJAN"
hey guys, hows it goin?
im buying myself a laptop for christmas and i was wonderin if they are any good for playin games on? games from age of empires to unreal tournament etc. ive heard that they can sometimes be problematic with games and i was just wonderin if any of ye guys had one (or knew about them for games).
any help greatly appreciated.
Amos.
PS. the specs are... (ish) 2.4gHz, 256ram, 30gb hard drive, 32mb graphics (shared) etc. cheers again!
Tue 10/12/02 at 20:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Onboard graphics. Basically forget it. At least get a laptop with an actual graphics card it you plan to play games, else you'll run into real troubles playing even some slightly older games.
Tue 10/12/02 at 20:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
...although AoE and Unreal Tournament shoudl be fine.
Tue 10/12/02 at 20:10
Regular
"NJAN"
right so get a gfx card, will that add must to the price (broke student here)? do you recommend any particular brand?
also, how long does a battery usually last, say playing games or dvds? and are they expensive to get a second one?
cheers for the help,
Amos.
Tue 10/12/02 at 20:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Radeon make a nice Lappy card. The 9500 I think. Don't know much it will cost though.

As for battery life.. not long!
Tue 10/12/02 at 20:22
Regular
"NJAN"
thats the kind of card im thinkin of gettin, heres a link
http://shop.online.ie/shop/compustore/106575.html
but the 'shared' thing will get me again, yea?
Tue 10/12/02 at 20:50
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Broke studen buying a £2,000 laptop? :)
get an iMac.
Tue 10/12/02 at 22:27
Regular
"relocated"
If I had £2000 quid to spend I'd buy a second-hand laptop and install Linux on it and spend the rest on a kick-ass desktop system. Sadly I don't have £2000 to spend, so I'm just going to have to be patient and inherit my dad's Sony Vaio.
Tue 10/12/02 at 22:46
Regular
"NJAN"
well the prices are in euro so its actually only about st£1600. but still kick *** enough! (damn this censorship!) still worried about the games side of it....
Amos.
PS. i am a poor student but im gettin it on hire purchase. not much to pay right now but ill be paying for it for the next two years. :(
Tue 10/12/02 at 22:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I'd spend £150 on an XP2400, £400 on a Shuttle, save £300 for a GeForce FX, then blow the rest on a usable laptop. Gaming on a laptop is just hideous by definition. You can't play them properly without a keyboard, mouse and 17" monitor - so what's the point of the laptop? Might as well just get a shuttle...

A nice 2ghz lappy would do me nicely.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.