GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GENERAL GAMES QUIZ"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/12/00 at 22:32
Regular
I've put this together in a few mins... It's not long, but see how many you can get:

1) What was the first task Miyamoto worked on concerning video games.

2) Name the first 3 3d games (in order) made by sega. As a hint, they were arcade titles, and when I say 3d, I mean proper polygon games. You should be able to name them out of order, because everyone will have heard of them.

3) The head of Nintendo once said to the press, "At first we will not allow 3rd party developers to work on it [N64]". This soon backfired. The question is, "How many games were available for the N64 in Japan 3 months after launch?"

4) How much has Microsoft allocated Xbox advertisments?

5) Why is Trip Hawkins famous?

6) Name 2 of the 3 video games exhibited in the smithsonian museum.

7) Sega has recently broken up into several companies. Give 5 of the new names for the R&D (/AM) departments.

8) Before being named as the PS2, what did Sony demand that magazines refered to their new console as?

9) Here's an open one. Name 3 opposites between Mario and Sonic. As an example, one wears red, the other blue.

10) And finally, name as many new consoles as you can. The earliest you can start with is the DC. I can name 6 off the top of my head. Please, no handhelds!

It may not be too hard, but there it is!
Merry Xmas
Rav
Tue 19/12/00 at 08:51
Regular
"not dead"
> 2) Name the first 3 3d games (in order) made by sega. As a hint,
> they were arcade titles, and when I say 3d, I mean proper polygon
> games. You should be able to name them out of order, because
> everyone will have heard of them.
Would they be the Virtua games? Fighter, Cop, Soccer?

> 3) The head of Nintendo once said to the press, "At first we
> will not allow 3rd party developers to work on it [N64]".
> This soon backfired. The question is, "How many games were
> available for the N64 in Japan 3 months after launch?"

Super Mario64
Wave Race
Pilotwings

Or was it only SM64?

> 6) Name 2 of the 3 video games exhibited in the smithsonian museum.

Surely a version of Pong? Space Invaders?

> 7) Sega has recently broken up into several companies. Give 5 of
> the new names for the R&D (/AM) departments.
>
> 8) Before being named as the PS2, what did Sony demand that
> magazines refered to their new console as?

The twenty-six hundred from atari?

> 9) Here's an open one. Name 3 opposites between Mario and Sonic.
One wears red, the other blue.
One wears clothes, the other is naked!
One spins, one jumps.
>
> 10) And finally, name as many new consoles as you can.

DC
GameCube
PS2
XBox
Idrema

NO.
Mon 18/12/00 at 23:20
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
OK. It's 11:20pm on Monday, and we have 2 correct answers- Donkey Kong for qu1, and the Sonic vs Mario thing. I'll be interested to see how many more answers people give for that completely open question. The hardest question about the smithsonian has yet to be answered, and the Trip Hawkins one has almost been done. But what about the rest?

Rav
Mon 18/12/00 at 23:16
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Yep. Shigsy was employed as an artist to redo a failing Nintendo arcade game. I think it was called Radarman or something. He turned it into Donkey Kong- Japanese for stupid ape, and created mario!

Rav
Mon 18/12/00 at 23:14
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
1) Donkey Kong?
Mon 18/12/00 at 23:08
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Oddly enough you got the general jist of it in that answer... but I'll leave it to other people to pick up to the details. What about the other answers??? Anyone gonna try to get qu 1 right?

Rav
Mon 18/12/00 at 23:02
Regular
Give up. He's pretty famous for a lot of things, like selling the 3DO hardware technology to Samsung for $140m and investing in software, he developed Might and Magic, his software covers a multitude of platforms, he predicted (correctly) that DVD would help to expand the games industry.......
Mon 18/12/00 at 22:57
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Oh my god... soooooo close! But not there... I refer to the second part of your last answer... him running 3DO??? Link this with where games went wrong, and then think of a second time trip made the same mistake, and you'll have it.
Mon 18/12/00 at 22:54
Regular
He predicted that the 32-bit market would be a 'fad' and be shortlived. His crystal ball is widely believed to be very cracked, just like his predictions.
Mon 18/12/00 at 22:52
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
OOOOOOOOOO... so close... but not what I was looking for! Think about the second part of your answer and expand. Why is hw always included in "where games went wrong" supliments?

Rav
Mon 18/12/00 at 22:49
Regular
Trip Hawkins was the founder of EA and current CEO of 3DO.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.