GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony have copied again!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/12/00 at 23:20
Regular
Sony copied Nintendo with the memory cards! The memory cards were built into the carts of Nintygames. sony have copied Nintendo with the Rumble Paks. Sony have opied Nintendo with the Analogue pads and have used the SNES design for the controllers.

Now I know wireless controllers were on older consoles but the PS2 have copied Nintendo with the idea of using wireless controllers!

I saw it in the latest SR magazine! An advert for Infra Red controllers! At least Nintendo have the common sense to use Radio so that the signal doensn't stop when something gets in the way!

But Sony didn't use these controllers before Nintendo's Wavebird announcement did they? It was only after Spaceworld that Sony started using wireless!
Mon 11/12/00 at 22:46
Regular
Lightguns were on the NES and SNES.

The playstation is the sequel to the SNES!
Mon 11/12/00 at 12:08
Regular
"I like cheese"
Even if they are copying, it's called "using the technology available to them!!"
Mon 11/12/00 at 08:11
Regular
"not dead"
wookiee_monster wrote:

> I though SNES controllers were actually flat, though I won't swear
> to that.

I'm pretty sure that they were 3D...

And I remember the NeoGeo console having memory cards, so that you could play a game in the arcade, and continue it at home. (Though why you'd play a game in an arcade, that you'd already bought, I don't know.)
Sun 10/12/00 at 22:50
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
edgy, Sony have got the right idea here, Nintendo get the idea out into the public and if it sells well then Sony make it aswell, it's not really called copying as it's on another format and you really shouldn't be concerned about it, if the item flops then Sony don't make it, simple enough method, don't know why Nintendo didn't 'copy' Sony with their light gun! so upset about that and hope that they have rifles and super duper high tech alien pulse cannons with feather dusters for some games on the GCube!
Copying is healthy for competition if everything was different then there wouldn't be competition as they would be different things altogether, which isn't going to happen, someone did say that these things have been out for ages and hes right, but it hadn't been used in a long time and after Nintendo used it, it seemed as if they were copying.
How does that PS2 'remote' work? it has all the buttons of a normal controller, can you play games with it? or is it dedicated to take up the port that never gets used unless you play 2 player!? 2 player, Sony is still in the dark ages! I still think that it can be improved on, I hope that it can be.
Sun 10/12/00 at 19:23
Regular
Well it was called Wipeout, I don't know what it was really.
Sun 10/12/00 at 19:22
Regular
Believe it or not Wook, but one of the first games released on the Odyssey was Wipeout!
Sun 10/12/00 at 19:20
Regular
NEWS JUST IN!

Sony announces Screen Overlays, an excellent new invention that enables the CPU to run a lot quicker, as it doen't have to cope with graphics and backgrounds!

When asked if they were just "simply" copying the old systems method of sticking translucent plastic over the screen, Sony replied: "Perhaps, but all technology has to start somewhere!"

There is a point in this post, admist the "humour".
Sun 10/12/00 at 19:10
Yeah it is stuiped topic because saying that people copied is al messed cause it could go back for years and you would still be getting more comments about years old consols so its a stuipd topic.
Sun 10/12/00 at 02:12
"High polygon count"
> sony arn't the first to have two analogue sticks on their pads i
> had a third party mega drive with two analogue sticks and a pc pad
> with two.

Not the first, maybe - but what about current consoles?

The thing that makes me laugh most about the original post is that, if you really want to be picky about it, then EVERYONE copied the Magnavox Odyssey!

Yes, it had game 'cartridges', analogue rotary controllers, AND - believe it or not - a light gun! And it was launched in ... 1972.

Check out this amazing site...

http://www.geocities.com/~compcloset/index.html

And make sure you check out the Viewmaster Interactive Vision - this system actually worked on VIDEO TAPE! I kid you not!
Sun 10/12/00 at 01:34
i have wireless controles for my nes and i got them around 89.

sony arn't the first to have two analogue sticks on their pads i had a third party mega drive with two analogue sticks and a pc pad with two.

was it not sega who brought out the first portable memory card?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.