GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony have copied again!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/12/00 at 23:20
Regular
Sony copied Nintendo with the memory cards! The memory cards were built into the carts of Nintygames. sony have copied Nintendo with the Rumble Paks. Sony have opied Nintendo with the Analogue pads and have used the SNES design for the controllers.

Now I know wireless controllers were on older consoles but the PS2 have copied Nintendo with the idea of using wireless controllers!

I saw it in the latest SR magazine! An advert for Infra Red controllers! At least Nintendo have the common sense to use Radio so that the signal doensn't stop when something gets in the way!

But Sony didn't use these controllers before Nintendo's Wavebird announcement did they? It was only after Spaceworld that Sony started using wireless!
Tue 09/09/08 at 17:28
Regular
well done dom on being picked 4 catain of sale good result on saturday
Sun 07/09/08 at 13:34
Regular
Just thought I would get the Forum going. Great performance lads to beat Wilmslow so well yesterday. Nothing like being surrounded by Wilmslow members when you win 28 - 12 on their ground. Roll on to round 2. Keep it going lads. See you at Wirral next Sat.

The "Firm" were well pleased.
Wed 13/12/00 at 21:17
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Good point... ut then this is sony- gamers are used to nintendo's Snes, which they had helped make the sequal to- so why change the formula?

Nintendo do set standards... but at costs. Being inovative means being a late player- just like with the game cube and N64. Sega are not so bad because most of their inovation comes from the arcade stuff. Ah well...

Rav
Wed 13/12/00 at 21:03
Regular
They could have a bit more invvotive... inivotive.

Invvotive.

Invotive.

Ahh never mind.
Wed 13/12/00 at 21:01
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually I didn't read all the messages- some of them like the Neo geo and stuff are similar. But the main point I was making was that Nintendo did not really invent anything. They simply adapted other ideas and this is what sony is doing to nintendo's ideas. The same is true of just about everything in life!
The fact Sony have done it isn't news- if they started from scratch then they truely would be stupid!

Rav
Wed 13/12/00 at 19:45
Regular
Rav wasn't your message just my original points as answers to another posters reply?
Wed 13/12/00 at 19:37
Regular
It's annoying, however as Nintendo have created some new technology, Sony have made it into their own like those Dual Shock Controllers.
Wed 13/12/00 at 19:09
Regular
The thing is though, Nintendo have brought the market up from the dead. Atari basically killed it, and Nintendo revived it.

This is why we love Nintendo. And by simply reviving good ideas, they find themselves covered in hundreds of rip offs.

Anyway. Mario Kart.
Wed 13/12/00 at 19:05
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Sony copied Nintendo with the memory cards! The memory cards were built into the carts of Nintygames.

>Nintendo have memory packs in their cartridges, as many other console makers did. Sony used separate ones, like the Saturn and Neo Geo

Sony have copied Nintendo with theRumble Paks. Sony have opied Nintendo with the Analogue pads and have used the SNES design for the controllers.

>The nintendo rumble poack was based on a control system in america where reseachers could feel the things they were using a computer robot to touch. Analogue pads esisted way before nintendo used them. Although this is a more recent example, Sega's 3d pad for the saturn came out before nintendo's and had an analogue and digital contrller. What sony, and everyone else, has copied from nintendo is shoulder buttons!

Now I know wireless controllers were on older consoles but the PS2 have copied Nintendo with the idea of using wireless controllers!

>If they were on older consoles, why have Sony copied nintendo? Maybe they both copied someone else like all the above ideas?

I saw it in the latest SR magazine! An advert for Infra Red-controlers! At least Nintendo have the common sense to use Radio so that the signal doensn't stop when something gets in the way!

>Actually there were wireless pads on the Mega drive too!

As you can see, everyting is a copy of a copy... simply enhancing old ideas. For example, buttons were used to make shoulder buttons, which were addapted to analogue shoulder buttons. d pads were addapted to analogue sticks. etc, etc.... Everything has a basis

Rav
Wed 13/12/00 at 18:43
Sony were rumoured to have based their pad on what eventually became the N64 pad, because as we all know they were working very closely with Nintendo when the PlayStation was originally designed as a joint venture.

But anyway, a game console manufacturer would be mad not to "copy" analogue sticks and the like. Sega also use analogue sticks, and Nintendo weren't the first to either.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.