GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rejoice !"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/11/02 at 22:12
Regular
Good news for everyone who I routinely annoy, exasperate, argue with, and generally call wrong, for I shall not bother posting in Life any more after this one topic.

This will be a great loss, to my word count, but other than that very little.

Whilst it is not pointless to be a lone voice, it is when it comes to an internet forum. Quite frankly, I can't be bothered anymore, it's not fun, and you all know better anyway.

Now you can all agree with each other safe in the knowledge I won't post a 1000 word + reply ripping peoples ideas apart, great eh ?

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 08/11/02 at 11:13
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
The fear is somewhat understandable though. You have to be pretty smart to continue a debate when you suddenly realise that your moral highground isn't quite as firm as you thought it was - having that good old red white and blue rug pulled from beneath your feet and seeing the floors not marble white, but stained the same colour as everywhere else.

Must of been like having your faith shaken I'd imagine, quite a chilling experience.
Sat 09/11/02 at 11:38
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
*pop*

Because this is funny.
Sat 09/11/02 at 20:04
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Goatboy wrote:
> *pop*
>
> Because this is funny.

Good news, seeing as I amuse you so much I thought I may as well continue to post in life after all, if I'm the cause of merriment then it can't be all bad eh ?

I don't care if most people think I'm wrong, because at the end of the day what's said here changes nothing anyway, so we may as well nitpick, disagree, argue, pick fault with, and generally disagree anyway.

Besides, I realised if I stopped posting here my word count would suffer :P

And I laughed at Light's tediously long post about Removing A Dictator that, though well written and had obviously had some thought in it, simply had 6 replies of people saying how bad they felt that day, great stuff.

Most people don't agree, but that kind of thing doesn't get any replies nor challenge anyone ideas.

I also laughed at Hooplah's comments, ego check time, and also someone who needs to really check his opinion and reasoning. Faith shaken ? Give me a break, It takes more than the selective examples of people like light to change anything. As for moral highground ? Hilarious, just because the left argues for developing countries and those who have been oppressed does not mean they hold the moral high ground either so forget that fanciful notion Hooplah.

~~Belldandy~~
Mon 11/11/02 at 09:10
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
What I found funny was your announcement of leaving because you were tired being "lone voice" etc, as if you were the sole keeper of intelligence here and were tired of slingshots and arrows.
Then people laugh and, certainly not ego-fuelled, oh no!, you decide to return and continue these seat-gripping debates.

I think you misunderstand Bell:
Nobody criticises you for having the opinions you do, people criticise because of your continual insistence on sneering and telling everyone that they're wrong for thinking the way they do.
That's what rubs (certainly myself) the wrong way, having someone that sets themself up as Mr Politik thinking they're the be-all and end-all of discussions here.

You have conviction of your beliefs, that's cool. Doesn't mean you're correct though.
And I'm sorry, but I *do* chuckle to myself at the length and ferocity of your replies if anyone dares to suggest you may not be as informed and la-de-da as you think.

But hey, what do I know?
Enjoy, debate and all the best.
Mon 11/11/02 at 10:28
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Goatboy wrote:
> I think you misunderstand Bell:
> Nobody criticises you for having the opinions you do, people criticise
> because of your continual insistence on sneering and telling everyone
> that they're wrong for thinking the way they do.
> That's what rubs (certainly myself) the wrong way, having someone that
> sets themself up as Mr Politik thinking they're the be-all and end-all
> of discussions here.

I never claimed to be anything like what you say, if thats how you see me then I can't do much about that. When most people's views do not match mine then of course I'm going to say I think they are wrong. If I didn't think they were wrong then their views would be mine.

Trouble is that most people (not everyone) who oppose my views seem to take any reply I make as a personal attack or something. That's their problem, not mine !

And I don't actually tell "everyone" they are wrong either....

~~Belldandy~~
Mon 11/11/02 at 10:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I saw a movie with "The Infected".
They vomit blood.
Mon 11/11/02 at 10:59
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Goatboy wrote:
> I saw a movie with "The Infected".
> They vomit blood.

And you're point is.... ?

~~Belldandy~~
Mon 11/11/02 at 11:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
My point was it's as relevant as people arguing over politics.
But more fun.
Mon 11/11/02 at 12:08
"Darth Vader 3442321"
The day politicians start vomitting blood: I'll vote for the one who can do so with the most dignity.
Mon 11/11/02 at 14:28
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Belldandy wrote:
>

>
> I also laughed at Hooplah's comments, ego check time, and also someone
> who needs to really check his opinion and reasoning. Faith shaken ?
> Give me a break, It takes more than the selective examples of people
> like light to change anything. As for moral highground ? Hilarious,
> just because the left argues for developing countries and those who
> have been oppressed does not mean they hold the moral high ground
> either so forget that fanciful notion Hooplah.
>
> ~~Belldandy~~

There's really not much wrong with my opinion, or reasoning for that matter. My response to your initial post and the comments made by others in it, was in my opinion spot on - or perhaps you'd like to clarify why you felt it necessary to make the initial statement. Your have, completely misinterpreted (possibly intentionally) the comment that I made.

The moral high ground has nothing to do with us 'lefties' claiming anything, this has nothing to do with the left or right wing, an outdated view of world politics if ever there was one. It is about the ability to view world events without polarising your opinions with the regional politics/media effecting any rational judgement you might make. Can't you differentiate between right and wrong? I also think that it is exactly the thinking of people like Light that will change things, the more people that use their educated minds to cut through the incredibly flimsy smoke screens that pass as 'Doing the right thing for Western Justice', the more chance we have of moving forward.

You are not a lone voice. There are plenty of other, seemingly well educated people that find impossible to remove the blinkers that have been placed on them by the society they were born into. Stop thinking in terms of left and right, them and us - just try to think about whether it's right or wrong.

The killing of people is wrong - it doesn't matter what political ideology you follow. Any attempt to bundle atrocities of any type away into the shrouds of 'Justice for All' cannot be tolerated, or we'll just end up slaughtering all that oppose our societies political ideology. Can you not see where that will lead to? Does it not remind you of any other historical events?

Your presumptuous statements that 'We all know better' and 'We can all agree with each other without you ripping our arguments'(and you insinuated that I have an ego problem!), is perhaps an indication of the problem that you have Belldandy. Debate is the way forward. I welcome it. It's when the debate breaks down because of narrow thinking, followed by walking away from the table that the travesties occur. The inability to see the point of view of another and, perhaps agree that you're wrong (not you, the general you) is the stumbling block that we trip on time and time again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.