GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Performance and the next generation"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/09/06 at 14:43
"possibly impossible"
Performance.

It has been the benchmark of consoles since the first generation 8 bit consoles handed the baton over to their 16-bit brothers. Fans waiting to see the specs of their next machine trawled through their magazines and tried to make sense of the numbers staring back out at them before the full realisation of the power of the new consoles became clear when they finally got to see them in the flesh.

And it hasn’t stopped. Microsoft and Sony are still banding around numbers today to justify holding on to your money in exchange for their new wonder-machines. Developers are awaiting the challenge of more realistic environments or showing more enemies on screen than ever before and the crowds are just waiting to be wowed by the next big thing.

And yet, one console manufacturer has turned their back on the idea that performance sells. Surprisingly, it’s one of the manufacturers that has been in the business the longest. Nintendo don’t care if you’re not gob smacked by their graphics processing. They don’t give a damn if you don’t fall out of your chair at the zeros trailing from their processor speeds and they couldn’t be bothered one bit at showing you just how many polygons they can manipulate at once.

It’s certainly caused a bit of a stir in the gaming world. Surely if we don’t make progress then why should we bother upgrading at all? “But” they answer “Progress doesn’t have to be all about numbers and graphics. It can be about interaction and experience.” The cost is another justification. Put up against the mighty PS3 with it’s equally mighty price, the Wii looks like David trying to outdo Goliath, but with a remote control in place of a stone.

So will the change in the way we play also change the way we perceive the next generation of gaming? It has been enough to convince some of the journalists sent out to try the hardware for their selves, but will Joe public be stirred into buying a console that doesn’t live up to their numerical ideals? Only the launch of the Wii can prove that Nintendo are on the right track.
Tue 26/09/06 at 09:54
"possibly impossible"
People who play games normally would not buy a Playstation 3 though, would they? People who are MAD about playing games, perhaps, people who are TOTAL gamers, yes. People who just want to play games are not going to spend loads of money for a Blu-ray player that also plays games though.

The Wii games on the videos I've seen look nice enough, better than Gamecube or Xbox graphics, bar those shots of Farcry. The hardware is capable of between Xbox and 360 graphics, and as its supposed to be easy to program for you can bet that the programmers will get the most out of them before the other next gen consoles.

People who want first time consoles will get one anyway, they haven't got anything to compare it against.

People who don't want to spend a fortune on a console will get one too.

People who have a 360 may get one as a second console as well.

People who love Nintendo will get one.

People who love games that aren't all based on reality will get one.
Tue 26/09/06 at 09:05
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I'm looking forward to it, but you'll definitely need a P3/360 to compliment it.

For a start, most games for the Wii look crap. I understand Wii-Play games looking bad, but things like Red Steel, Metroid and I suppose even Zelda just don't have the pizazz of next gen games.

You could argue that the Wii Remote would give you unprecedented control over a car. But if that car looks poor in comparison to those in Forza 2 (and you have to assume they will, given the graphics power of the compared consoles and the predominant target-market of the Wii) why wouldn't people get Forza.

And of course, it's not just graphics. The Wii doesn't output in 5.1 - So if you have a game, like Halo/2 that really pushes an atmosphere through the audio, you're stuck with ProLogicII at best, and you're losing out.

The Wii will be a great console, but only for specific games. I understand that you can use the Classic Pad for some games, but if the classic pad is just like a SNES pad, and a PS3 pad is just like a SNES pad, then why not get the PS3 version which also employs a tilt sensor (pirates!), but has NextGen graphics, 5.1 sound, online play and whatever else?

The Wii is good for Nintendo fans and new gamers. But not casual gamers. They want the textbook, 4-face-button pad, the licensed games, the style, the looks and formality of a certain format. If Microsoft can really push their 360, and support it well with some decent games, then I can see it being a contender...

... But in reality, people who play games normally buy a PlayStation. It's lke buying a BicMac, a Ford Focus or Levi's Jeans - there may be something more exciting, something technically better in a certain area or something better looking... but you know what you get. Normal gaming...

...and a blu-ray player... and backwards compatability... and wireless pads... and High-Definition gaming... and stunning software support... and friends who can lend you games... and social appreciation... and Pro Evo 7 with arguably the best control pad ever.
Mon 25/09/06 at 12:05
Regular
pb, it's like you're reading my mind...
Mon 25/09/06 at 11:50
"possibly impossible"
I'm finding it difficult not to sound like a Nintendo fanboy, but I'm genuinely excited about the Wii launch.

However, I love my 360 as well and the PS3 would be nice if it was cheaper and had more games I wanted to play.

It's not like I hate the PS3 though, it just doesn't appeal to me. Technically, I'm sure it will be great and I'll be following the launch and game reviews with interest, but I just know that I won't get one at launch. I give it 1.5-2 years before I get a PS3.
Mon 25/09/06 at 11:19
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Twilight Princess is a launch title. Not really sure what else is though... Metroid and Mario aren't, I think TP is probably the 'biggest' game, maybe aside from Red Steel (think that's still a launch title?), somewhat ironic given that TP is, in essence, a souped up GC game.
Mon 25/09/06 at 10:26
Regular
I've already decided on a Wii and I don't know what games are coming out for it other than teh bundled Wii Sports. I hope Twilight Princess is a launch title though.

IMO, the PS3 simply isn't worth the excessive cost. I don't want bucketloads of power that can't yet be fully utilised, I don't want Blu-Ray technology, I want to be entertained. That is why I personally see a Wii/360 combo as being unbeatable.

I probably will pick up a PS3 eventually, but I'm pretty sure it can wait.
Sun 24/09/06 at 19:13
"possibly impossible"
The launch line-up doesn't look as strong as it could have been, but it's still stronger than the 360, and looks possibly stronger than the PS3.

I think the main downfall of the Wii is that some gamers will WANT to play 'standard' types of games, which is offset by the price of Wii meaning that they might be able to get 2 consoles.
Thu 21/09/06 at 10:22
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I think for the past 10 years whilst huge technological advances have been made console manufacturers have been trying too hard to make their games look good and not enough time on gameplay.

Sure there have been games that have huge amounts of gameplay but not nearly as much as their used to be. I think this is a good strategy from Nintendo and I hope it works.

At the minute I'm deciding what next generation console to go for and am completely undecided at the minute but if Nintendo can prove that they value gameplay above graphics it will go a long way to convincing me that the Wii is the one to go for.
Wed 20/09/06 at 18:58
Regular
"Mooching around"
pb and his Wii...
Wed 20/09/06 at 15:29
Regular
I love you. You always post something interesting to read.

I really don't feel that graphics for games like Battalion Wars, Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine could look any better. I would have been happy with gamecube graphics if you could believe that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.