GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Performance and the next generation"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/09/06 at 14:43
"possibly impossible"
Performance.

It has been the benchmark of consoles since the first generation 8 bit consoles handed the baton over to their 16-bit brothers. Fans waiting to see the specs of their next machine trawled through their magazines and tried to make sense of the numbers staring back out at them before the full realisation of the power of the new consoles became clear when they finally got to see them in the flesh.

And it hasn’t stopped. Microsoft and Sony are still banding around numbers today to justify holding on to your money in exchange for their new wonder-machines. Developers are awaiting the challenge of more realistic environments or showing more enemies on screen than ever before and the crowds are just waiting to be wowed by the next big thing.

And yet, one console manufacturer has turned their back on the idea that performance sells. Surprisingly, it’s one of the manufacturers that has been in the business the longest. Nintendo don’t care if you’re not gob smacked by their graphics processing. They don’t give a damn if you don’t fall out of your chair at the zeros trailing from their processor speeds and they couldn’t be bothered one bit at showing you just how many polygons they can manipulate at once.

It’s certainly caused a bit of a stir in the gaming world. Surely if we don’t make progress then why should we bother upgrading at all? “But” they answer “Progress doesn’t have to be all about numbers and graphics. It can be about interaction and experience.” The cost is another justification. Put up against the mighty PS3 with it’s equally mighty price, the Wii looks like David trying to outdo Goliath, but with a remote control in place of a stone.

So will the change in the way we play also change the way we perceive the next generation of gaming? It has been enough to convince some of the journalists sent out to try the hardware for their selves, but will Joe public be stirred into buying a console that doesn’t live up to their numerical ideals? Only the launch of the Wii can prove that Nintendo are on the right track.
Wed 27/09/06 at 17:22
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I'm sure I've missed something with the PS2. Am I meant to swing it around the room with the power lead or something? I still have the original PS2 I bought on launch day and I've never had a single problem with it.
Wed 27/09/06 at 13:03
"possibly impossible"
Obviously, it should really come down to the games available by the time all 3 machines are on sale.

If we're talking America then the Wii and PS3 each have only a handful of titles, but then which ones are 'must have' showstoppers? The 360 has a few already and there are less exclusive titles for both the 360 and PS3 than ever before.
Wed 27/09/06 at 12:48
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
pb wrote:
> But if it's like the PS2 then you'll need at least 3 machines to
> last that long, or keep sending it back to Sony to get repaired.

My launch one lasted a good 4 and a half years, and my second is going strong (touch wood)

> Isn't it the case that if someone sets of first in a marathon
> usually going to have the best chance of winning?

You'd think so but the Saturn and Dreamcast have already proven this wrong
Wed 27/09/06 at 11:58
"possibly impossible"
Game wrote:
> To be fair, the PS3 is quite a machine for £400. For a
> start it's a Blu-Ray player.
>
We're still waiting to find out whether this will be the standard in the future though.

> Second of all, it's going to last whoever buys it for a good 6
> years.

But if it's like the PS2 then you'll need at least 3 machines to last that long, or keep sending it back to Sony to get repaired.

> not only does it have HDMI output (which is a good thing) but it
> also has ports for Flash cards (CF, SD, xD, MMC, MS, etc) meaning
> you can look at your digital camera pictures on your TV, upload
> them to your console... all without having to worry about media
> Centre working, being compatible/not.

Like the 360 through USB then?
>
> I admit the PS3 seems expensive, but it's not for what you get.
> Even if it was a weird SONY BluRay player (shape wise) you'd
> still expect to pay a shade under what you sould for the
> Pioneer!
>
> Games will be £50, Blu-Ray films will be £18, and
> you'll get rinsed for cash on SONY Connect, or whatever it is,
> but overall it's a fair price.
>
If you want a Blu-ray player. If you want a games machine, then the 360 or Wii are better priced.

> And think about it. Most people who will buy a next gen console
> have a current ge console. So, considering 100m+ people have a
> PS2, the natural transition would be to a PS3. And until they
> can afford it, they'll have all their favourite franchises on
> PS2.

But many people are already getting a 360 instead of waiting for a PS3.

> The Wii will be great fun, i'm sure... but it just doesn't fit
> the social standard. Intentionally, mind. In an age of improving
> graphics, sound and style; where the iPod and Mercurial Vapours
> reign, there's little room for the Creative Zen, the Adidas
> Pulsado or the Wii.

And yet the Zen is selling very well and the Zune will probably sell well too.

> It'll sell.... millions, but it will come third place. Second,
> perhaps. SONY are too strong. If all goes well with the PS3
> production, then they'll get a decent start out of the blocks.
> Even if they have a few issues, this is a marathon, remember..

Isn't it the case that if someone sets of first in a marathon usually going to have the best chance of winning? And when did a son win a marathon based on a father's results? Just being picky with analogys.

Yes - the PS3 will do well. Yes, it will be due to the success of the PS2, but not all of the PS2 owning public will get a PS3, not even 80% I'd say. If the press and the word on the street is to be believed, then many are turning to the 360 or are not certain about the PS3.

Is it enough to keep it in the lead of sales figures? No one can tell until it is released. One thing is sure, nothing is certain as far as sales this time around, it's an open market and the Wii, 360 and PS3 ALL have a chance of being No.1
Wed 27/09/06 at 10:44
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
To be fair, the PS3 is quite a machine for £400. For a start it's a Blu-Ray player.

Now I know a lot of you don't care about this, and even more of US don't have an HDTV to run it through, but think about the future-proofing, here. The first Pioneer Blu-Ray player will come in at £1k. That's a lot of money to watch your favourite films in High Definition.

Second of all, it's going to last whoever buys it for a good 6 years. PS2 was out in 2000? and we've still got games like OKAMI, and FFXII coming next march.

not only does it have HDMI output (which is a good thing) but it also has ports for Flash cards (CF, SD, xD, MMC, MS, etc) meaning you can look at your digital camera pictures on your TV, upload them to your console... all without having to worry about media Centre working, being compatible/not.

I admit the PS3 seems expensive, but it's not for what you get. Even if it was a weird SONY BluRay player (shape wise) you'd still expect to pay a shade under what you sould for the Pioneer!

Games will be £50, Blu-Ray films will be £18, and you'll get rinsed for cash on SONY Connect, or whatever it is, but overall it's a fair price.

And think about it. Most people who will buy a next gen console have a current ge console. So, considering 100m+ people have a PS2, the natural transition would be to a PS3. And until they can afford it, they'll have all their favourite franchises on PS2.

The Wii will be great fun, i'm sure... but it just doesn't fit the social standard. Intentionally, mind. In an age of improving graphics, sound and style; where the iPod and Mercurial Vapours reign, there's little room for the Creative Zen, the Adidas Pulsado or the Wii.

It'll sell.... millions, but it will come third place. Second, perhaps. SONY are too strong. If all goes well with the PS3 production, then they'll get a decent start out of the blocks. Even if they have a few issues, this is a marathon, remember.. not a sprint. They have 6 years to show people who's king.

Having said all this, we have to remember that Nintendo are making money off the Hardware AND Software. SO, they're the real winners. They'll make the cash, keep the shareholders happy and have enough money to expand New York's Nintendo Centre.... 40 times.

Sony?

Banckrupcy on the 6th of April 2012, is my guess.

Haha
Wed 27/09/06 at 07:37
Regular
The fact that it's being itself, not trying to be another Xbox/Playstation, not afraid to break off from the norm - all this is what's capturing my attention.

I will definitely grab one to compliment my 360 - that way I have the best of both worlds and can also properly relive the retro days on my TV (thanks to VC and XBL-Arcade) rather thn fannying about with emulators on a pc.

Sony and it's fans can wax lyrical about the PS3 all they want, but I ain't budging for an overpriced (yes it is), over-technological (1080p? Whatever) overhyped console.

When the price is more reasonable, I may reconsider.
Tue 26/09/06 at 17:31
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I know a fair few folk who want one or like me are interested to see what it can offer. By going in a different direction to the PS3 and 360 its going to appeal to folk who have already got a 360 or want one or plan on getting a 360 so in theory it should sell well.

I just hope that it turns out to be better than the gamecube for me - wasn't enough must have games that I really wanted for that console and thats where it let me down.
Tue 26/09/06 at 13:16
"possibly impossible"
I don't agree.

It all depends on marketing anyway, so we'll have to wait and see. But the controller will be used for most games if not all, because it just isn't feesible to write a game for the system without including it.

The Japanese will lap it up, they love anything like this. The Americans may take more convincing, but certainly the older gamers will like it for the fact that it is Nintendo and many will get it because its different.

As for Europe. Judging by the pre-orders on Amazon (where they had to shut it down because people were going mad to pre-order) and in the 3 Game stores I visited, everyone seems to want one.

I'm just going on public opinion so far (from people in the game shop, in other shops and on other chat rooms as well as from news reports from around the world), but we will find out when it launches.
Tue 26/09/06 at 11:30
Regular
"Mooching around"
The Wii will appeal to kids aged 7-11. Once they they aquire peer presure, they'll all go for the 360, and the really cool kids will get the PS3 (just to show off).

The Wii will appeal to that small minority of teenagers who just don't care. Though many of these don't like gaming.

The Wii may appeal to adults, just like the DS did, but most adults will only get it for its gimmick games, and we're still not sure how many games will use this feature, and how well it will be accpeted or works.

Those are all very small groups.
Tue 26/09/06 at 10:59
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The Wii will indeed appeal to a mass market, maybe even to those non-gamers out there. The main issue for me though is the controls. A big deal was made over how you play the games with the new control pad - if the majority of games can use this well then it should sell well and be a success. Nintendo fans will buy them no matter what anyway.

If the control system turns out to be just another fad that gets boring too quickly then I can see a lot of wii's gathering dust under tv's. Guess only time will tell when I finally get the chance to play one and see for myself.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.