GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Patronising Newbie Guide"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/10/02 at 21:47
Regular
The Patronising Newbie Guide

First things first newbies, go and look up the word ‘patronising’.

Done that? Good.

Now then, lets get started shall we. First off you should probably have realised that you have just entered an internet chat site, before you attempt anything you should consider the following things:

~ Can I write properly?
~ Do I have an awareness of punctuation and grammar?
~ Am I an idiot?

Now think over your responses, not too hard mind, I don’t want you to cause yourself permanent damage. These are important questions, all of your communication will be done through writing, and if other people can’t stand to read your writing then you won’t be able to communicate.

The next thing you should notice is the word ‘forums’. This is called a plural, it means there is more than one of something, in this case, more than one forum. That’s right, FoG chat is not the only forum. The next step is slightly more complicated, so make sure you have this guide on hand to refer to. If you read the list of forums, you will see many different types. A forum about Nintendo, a forum about the Playstation, the X-box, sports etc. Now *carefully* think about your post. Do you have something to say about Halo? Lets look at this logical thought chain:

My post > subject > Halo > X-box game > X-box forum

Yes, it really is that easy, not as daunting as you first thought eh? You see, FoG Chat may get the most visitors, but not many of them will be willing to talk about an X-box game, especially the people who do not own an X-box. Whereas in the X-box forum, everyone is willing to talk about X-box games.

Keep this in mind when posting a topic.

***STOP***
You may now be getting a headache. I understand this is a lot for your brains to take in at once, and so I advise you take a quick rest now. Maybe you could go and try and operate the microwave for five minutes, or see how far you can spit up a wall.

Another important question; Am I an idiot? You must ask yourself this question before attempting to write any sort of post. If you come to the conclusion that you are an idiot, leave now, if your not, your welcome to stay. In fact, if you understood what the word ‘conclusion’ actually meant and managed to come to one, your probably not an idiot. If you didn’t understand the previous two sentences, or indeed the word ‘previous’, then you are an idiot, kindly get lost.

Another important thing to avoid is ‘text talk’. This is generally frowned upon, although will be tolerated in small doses. The reasons for this is that it makes you look like an illiterate moron, and your writing will be hard to read, so many people won’t bother.

For those of you who did not understand what I have just said:

Anthr mprtnt thng to avd is ‘txt tlk’. Ths is gnrlly frwnd upn, althgh wll be tolratd in smll dses. The rasns for ths is tht it maks u lok lik an illteat mron, n ur wrting wll be hard to red, so mny ppl won’t bothr.

The next issue we will look at is fanboys, I’ll keep it brief so there is a remote chance your brain will actually remember it. A fanboy is someone who loves one console/company and will not allow anything bad to be said about them. They generally spam, and visit forums of other consoles/companies just to tell them that their console/company is crap. If you are one of these people, get lost. Remember, there is a difference between arguing and fanboyism.

Spam. No, not the type you spend hours flinging against the wall above your bed, but stupid, pointless, annoying messages. This includes writing seven or so post in one hour, comprising of about two lines of rubbish. We don’t want to know about your favourite type of seed, or what you did on the farm.

So there you have, these are the most important things to avoid when first joining the forums. You’ll never be able to get away with and form of spam and crap until you’re a respected regular (Mystique for example) or a Notable (Sheepy).
Mon 14/10/02 at 23:08
Regular
"I'm Back!!"
pop.. there ya go joe
Mon 14/10/02 at 08:15
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
Pointless Babble wrote:
> Whitestripes wrote:
> It's not about writing perfectly
>
> Could've fooled me. ;)
>
> ~ Can I write properly?
> ~ Do I have an awareness of punctuation and grammar?
> ~ Am I an idiot?
>
> Seymoure Flux wrote:
> I don't see why newbies would be picked on though?
>
> Exactly. But give it a day and you'll soon see otherwise. ;)

Muahaha! Still no scrutiny! I rock :)
Mon 14/10/02 at 02:51
Regular
"what?"
Thanks, I’ve copied and pasted this guide, and printed it out.
I’ll read it later…

BTW: I’m a newbie lurker of 166 days

Once again, thanks
Sun 13/10/02 at 13:42
Why didnt you give me this sort of info when i needed it? WHY? WHY GOD WHY?
Sun 13/10/02 at 13:07
"The Will of D."
Dead Cow wrote:
> «-Wºªmd¢r«- wrote:
> Hi
> I am no longer a newbie check out my stats
>
> Right, thats why it says newbie next to your name!
> You need to post more words!
He needs to wait until the next day, dumb n00b!
SR can't change anything until the next day when it's less busy.
Sun 13/10/02 at 12:54
«-Wºªmd¢r«- wrote:
> Hi
> I am no longer a newbie check out my stats

Right, thats why it says newbie next to your name!
You need to post more words!
Sun 13/10/02 at 12:52
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Once a newbie, always a newbie!
Sun 13/10/02 at 12:51
Regular
"Ghetto Fabulous"
Hi
I am no longer a newbie check out my stats
Sun 13/10/02 at 03:17
"Stupid Newbie :D"
gerrid wrote:
> Yes he is.
> "we're the women"

Braindead? Yes, gerrid is.

"Patrick Sueze" "Waaaaa, it was a typo!"

Again, pipe down shrimp. I'm sure there must be some sheep lurking about that you've yet to bother. ;)

Whitestripes wrote:
> Right, give me your address and i'll put the helper monkey in the mail.

*Notes the Simpsons reference, and is amused*

Marty Sugarlump
4392 Peanutville
P.O. Box 235
Lapland

I'd like a certificate of authentication with that, please. ;)
Sat 12/10/02 at 22:40
Regular
Yes. Monkeys can do anything you know.

Plus they have boobs too, you can practice..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.