GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UT 2003.....WOW!"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/10/02 at 23:50
Regular
This games is totally amazing, the graphics are unbeliveable (if you have a good card that is) ive played through the team deathmatch ladder now, and i have to say the A.I is very cool. I cant wait to play some peeps online, and unlock the bombing run scenarios.

Buy this game now!
Wed 09/10/02 at 15:02
Regular
rofl shows it all really.... mario sunshine beating it in all format charts.
Wed 09/10/02 at 15:21
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Mr H wrote:
> Good review cipro

Whoops, you mean Little Hobbo, he wrote it not me.
Wed 09/10/02 at 15:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
§n][pe® wrote:
> rofl shows it all really.... mario sunshine beating it in all format
> charts.

yeah, but its sort of obvious that would happen. Mario is a 3+, UT is a 15+ , that is a whole market of a difference.
Wed 09/10/02 at 18:25
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Cookie Monster, although you may not have realised it, every hole you poked in my review was based around the same idea. The fact that UT 2003 is moving away from it's origins as a more realistic shooter than Quake with it's own distinctive style. This would be beneficial for Q3 fans but not for true Tourney fans.
Things like the double jump are not necessarily bad, but is different, too different, from the UT that I grew to love dearly. As I said at the end, UT 2003 is not a bad game, it just appeals to different types of people, as Cipro will confirm. Hence in my posted review I awarded it 9/10.
I expect you enjoyed Q3 Arena didn't you?
Wed 09/10/02 at 19:29
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Am I the only person who didn't consider the original UT to be "realistic"? I always preferred it to Q3, yes, I preferred the pace of the game and the variety of weapons. However, I look at UT2003 as a new game in its own right - it's come on 4 years since the ogirinal UT, and to be honest, if it hadn't at least had these minor changes I think many people would have just written it off as a a shameless cash in.

Yes, it's faster paced
Yes, the rocket launcher is more like Q3
Yes, the sniper rifle has been changed

I have no major problems with any of these...the pace of the game suits the weapons - it's faster and more Quake-like, but those comparisons have always been made, and always will be, because the game revolves around exactly the same thing - using whatever weapons you find to blow opponents in to bouncy gibs. I just think UT2003 does it better. If I were a devout follower of the original, and drew comparisons with every area of the game, I may well find myself disappointed - however, I enjoy this one far more as an all round title. The rocket launcher changes are for the better, in my opinion, and I far prefer the sniper rifle like this - UT isn't the sort of game where people are meant to sit around waiting for heads to pass through their crosshairs. If they want to do that, they'll be punished for misses by the charging time, and find that it doesn't do as much damage as they may hope, which should discourage people from camping in places it's hard to remove them from.

My only real major problem with the game so far is the removal or assault mode..or rather, the lack of anything similar to replace it. Bombing run doesn't feel different enough for me, and it'd be nice to have something beyond CTF for clans to have to use tactics in..
Wed 09/10/02 at 20:13
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
sorry to commend someone else, good reveiew Little Hobbo
Thu 10/10/02 at 11:04
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Reaper[oV] wrote:
> Am I the only person who didn't consider the original UT to be
> "realistic"?

I never said it was realistic. Just MORE REALISTIC than the almost entirely arcadish Quake.

I always preferred it to Q3, yes, I preferred
> the pace of the game and the variety of weapons. However, I look at
> UT2003 as a new game in its own right - it's come on 4 years since the
> ogirinal UT, and to be honest, if it hadn't at least had these minor
> changes I think many people would have just written it off as a a
> shameless cash in.
>
> Yes, it's faster paced
> Yes, the rocket launcher is more like Q3
> Yes, the sniper rifle has been changed
>
> I have no major problems with any of these...the pace of the game
> suits the weapons - it's faster and more Quake-like, but those
> comparisons have always been made, and always will be, because the
> game revolves around exactly the same thing - using whatever weapons
> you find to blow opponents in to bouncy gibs. I just think UT2003 does
> it better. If I were a devout follower of the original, and drew
> comparisons with every area of the game, I may well find myself
> disappointed - however, I enjoy this one far more as an all round
> title. The rocket launcher changes are for the better.

But they directly detract from the MORE REALISTIC element of UT.

in my opinion,
> and I far prefer the sniper rifle like this - UT isn't the sort of
> game where people are meant to sit around waiting for heads to pass
> through their crosshairs. If they want to do that, they'll be punished
> for misses by the charging time, and find that it doesn't do as much
> damage as they may hope, which should discourage people from camping
> in places it's hard to remove them from.

I've never had a problem with camping, it's simply another gameplay style that requires extra tactical planning to overcome. Now it's just a blood-fest with far less tactics.
>
> My only real major problem with the game so far is the removal or
> assault mode..or rather, the lack of anything similar to replace it.
> Bombing run doesn't feel different enough for me, and it'd be nice to
> have something beyond CTF for clans to have to use tactics in.

Agreed, I miss Assault a lot. But Bombing Run is entirely different, what do you mean it isn't different enough for you? OK, it isn't actually very great, but exactly what were you comparing it to, to make a statement like that?
Thu 10/10/02 at 11:05
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Mr H wrote:
> sorry to commend someone else, good reveiew Little Hobbo

Cheers! :-)
Thu 10/10/02 at 11:39
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I'm comparing it to the normal deathmatch, it just feels exactly the same but with a ball...I haven't tried playing with other humans yet, but with bots, if someone else on your team has the ball it tends to just be a case of blowing everyone else out of the way, which develop in to smaller fights, too similar too a normal DM.

You're still making all of your judgements by comparing it to the original UT in every aspect, it's a different style of game - clearly, some people will like this take on the genre more than others, but as a standalone product I'm altogether very happy with it. Of course, there's now a gap in the market for a slightly slower paced game to come along, although I can see a lot of people staying with the original for some time yet, either becasue their pcs can't cope or simply preferring the style of play.
Thu 10/10/02 at 12:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Little Hobbo wrote:
> I expect you enjoyed Q3 Arena didn't you?

Never played it. Doesnt appeal to me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.