GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UT 2003.....WOW!"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/10/02 at 23:50
Regular
This games is totally amazing, the graphics are unbeliveable (if you have a good card that is) ive played through the team deathmatch ladder now, and i have to say the A.I is very cool. I cant wait to play some peeps online, and unlock the bombing run scenarios.

Buy this game now!
Sat 05/10/02 at 23:50
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
This games is totally amazing, the graphics are unbeliveable (if you have a good card that is) ive played through the team deathmatch ladder now, and i have to say the A.I is very cool. I cant wait to play some peeps online, and unlock the bombing run scenarios.

Buy this game now!
Mon 07/10/02 at 13:12
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Yes it's all great and pretty but it's not really as good as I expected. There aren't enough decent game modes for one, the original Domination and Assault were a lot more fun than Bombing Run and this new Domination ethic. Admittedly Bombing is good fun, but we should have been given more. Also, you'll never get a decent match with all the graphics options on. Even on medium setings the framerate is fine, but you never feel fully in control because its just too laggy. And thats with an Athlon 1.4 GHZ and a geforce 2.
It is a good game, but it doesn't revolutionize anything. I think I'll go back to playing the original. Pity, there was such potential...
Mon 07/10/02 at 14:44
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Hmmm, the demo was alright, but I doubt I'll be getting the sequel any time soon. For a starters I hear it needs 3 gig HD space, which is almost quater of my hard drive, the second reason why I'm not bothered, well because I thought after playing the demo the game was more like the next Quake than the next UT it should have been.

Maybe i'll get it when it's on budget, but for now I think I'll finally go out and buy RTCW which has great multiplayer support.
Mon 07/10/02 at 14:54
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Its not actually a 3 GIG install, although it says that on the box. It's only actually about 2.5.

You are spot on when you say it is more like Quake. My overall impression, especially when using the rocket launcher is that it has a decidedly Quake-feel to it. Even down to the commentators voice, which sounds identical to Quake's. I really am rather disappointed, another Quake clone can only be a bad thing.
Tue 08/10/02 at 13:49
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Oh come on, stop being so dour. This game rocks so much. Ive not had any problems with the framerate, and thats with everything ramped up to the max. Just standing and looking at the grass is awe-inspiring, the way it looks so realistic is incredible. And the levels are just so well designed. Especially facing worlds 3, which lets face it is lush.
Wed 09/10/02 at 11:07
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
This is my recently submitted review of UT 2003:

The eternal feud between Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 has been raging incessantly since their release back in 1999. For some strange reason, players seem to be strictly polarized and tend to favour one while shunning the other. Both games have their distinct style and feel which repels as many people as it attracts.

I am firmly in the Unreal Tournament camp, so you can imagine that UT 2003 was my eager expectation for many months. But now it is finally here, I have given it the thorough playtesting it deserves and am ready to unleash my judgement upon it.

Aesthetically, UT 2003 is a shining gem of brightness in a pixellated world. Everything is modelled in exquisite detail, especially the player and weapon models which are superlative. The game environments are also impressive; the maps are huge and bursting with luscious ambient effects such as the truly breath-taking water that looks better than the real thing. Weapons also provide the de rigueur mighty explosions and graphical trickery that is impressive to say the least. No problems in the beauty department then.

UT 2003 retains the staple Deathmatch and CTF playing modes, but eschews the Assault and Domination game types in favour of new modes. These are Double Domination and Bombing Run.
Double Domination is the same idea as the original Domination, but with a few integral alterations to tweak the fun-factor. Bombing Run is an entirely new and daring game type which is a wholesome combination of rugby and big guns. The developers have obviously playtested these modes to near perfection so as to squeeze every last drop of gameplay and tactical teamwork out of each mode.

The ubiquitous Sniper Rifle has now been shunned in favour of the new Lightning Gun. Theoretically a good idea, but in practise results in a rather poop weapon, I hate it. Another favourite is the mighty Rocket Launcher, now restricted to firing three rockets simultaneously. This restriction is countered by the improved speed of the rockets, leading to more frantic battles. Also worth a mention are the Flak Cannon with its firepower far more concentrated, and the improved Translocator that includes a camera to check for danger before you teleport.

What about the AI then? Most noticeable in team modes like CTF, the AI shows remarkable resilience and intelligently reacts to constantly evolving situations as a team rather than individuals. For example if you manage to capture the flag then some of your team-mates will rush up to you and guard your back while others spread out along the way to deal with enemy attempts to retrieve their flag. Also, bots have more realistic capabilities, and now are no longer invincible gods that can insouciently pull off multiple moving head-shots from afar, although they are unnervingly agile and accurate in the harder difficulty levels.

On paper, UT 2003 is a glorius prospect and had me slavering in anticipation. However, the fundamental game ethic has somehow changed. The greater realism and and slightly slower-paced gameplay of the original UT has been sacrificed for a faster, arcadish Quake feel to the game. This is enforced by a number of issues. Firstly and most obviously is the weapons; they are not the quaint originals that made them so popular in UT, each with their own nuances and weaknesses. They are now just hardened killing aids that are devoid of much personality. The Rocket Launcher in particular is almost an exact blueprint of Quake's, just with a secondary fire added.
Secondly is the game modes. The abolished Assault mode was the most tactical of all game types, and required well thought-out strategies to defeat the opposition. Now the remaining game modes, although retaining considerable team-play tactics, have little depth.
Also, inhuman abilities like the new double-jump just push UT 2003 further away from it's original niche.

You see then that UT 2003, although being a polished and accomplished shooter, leaves behind the personality and style difference that attracted so many fans on the first release. It is now little more than a next-generation Quake title.
In conclusion then, UT fans may enjoy this if they get accustomed to the difference, and Quake 3 fans will discover that ambivalence between the two is now less of a gap than they expected and should embrace this title heartily. As for me however, I'm going back to playing the original UT.
Wed 09/10/02 at 11:07
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Now do you see my grudging reluctance?
Wed 09/10/02 at 12:25
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Good reveiw there Hobbo, and I totally agree with you about the weapons.

The new sniper rifle is rubbish, utter crap, which is a shame because I loved using the one the orignal game, the new laser thing was a bad move im my opinion. Plus i also dislike the rocket launcher, it looks so much like a weapons from quake, it's way to big and chunky and can only fire a maximum of 3 rockets as apposed to the origanal 5.

It's an alright game I think, just not one I think I really need to own at the minute. I'll probably get it on budget.
Wed 09/10/02 at 13:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I think your grudges with the weapons is a bit silly. The idea behind making the rocket launcher fire 3 rockets rather than 5 is because UT players were annoyed with "spamming". The lightning gun is a wholesome return to form in my opinion, as i find it is a little harder to score a head-shot. Which is great, as it is annoying running along wih the flag just to get your head shot off by a pokey sniper. I think what you said about the double jump being "unrealistic" is rather strange. Do you think that fighting aliens in a tournament which revlolves around brutal murder would ever be commisioned? The game is called Unreal Tournament, which it is. The double jump and the various "Matrix" style moves on offer are an incentive to take the time to build up the skill to use them effectively. All in all this game is perfect, i miss the Assault option, but im not going to cry about it.
Wed 09/10/02 at 14:00
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Good review cipro, I have a new processor/motherboard/3d card to install once they arrive (hopefully tomorrow), I have UT2003 on hard drive already but it doesn't recognise my old Voodoo 2. Can't wait to get fraggin'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.