GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top 5 PS3 games"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/07/08 at 18:06
Regular
"Author of Pain"
So, I acquired a PS3. Largely as a blu-ray player, but I'm informed it can do other stuff too. Being a big fan of strategy games, I thought perhaps there might be a couple I can play on this thing. Was wondering if you girls had any favourites?
Tue 22/07/08 at 22:58
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Really? PES on the Wii was a horrible experience, second only to the abomination that was Mario Strikers Charged Football or hatever it was.

Besides, if I want to 'enjoy football', I'll play football manager. If I want a bit of football fun, FIFA appears to be the better series (based on experience with Wii)
Tue 22/07/08 at 15:26
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
PES hasn't evolved for at least 4 games or so now, however it still plays a better game of football than Fifa does. The ball physics and the way the players run just doesn't feel right on Fifa. Both versions of the series last year were horrible, PES due to once again screwing up the online and adding nothing and Fifa just because despite how much they rip off from Seabass they still can't get it all working together properly.
Tue 22/07/08 at 12:56
"possibly impossible"
jubbachainsaw wrote:
> PES 2008 is the better option if you actually like football as
> the gameplay is a hell of a lot better than FIFA 08. FIFA may
> have the kits and teams, but PES is the better game even though
> it has frame rate issues it plays more like a football game and
> FIFA is just a struggle to do anything.

I know this was the case for past games, but I heard from many people that FIFA08 had the better gameplay this time around.

PES on the Wii, however, is a different story, fantastic...
Tue 22/07/08 at 12:09
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
PES 2008 is the better option if you actually like football as the gameplay is a hell of a lot better than FIFA 08. FIFA may have the kits and teams, but PES is the better game even though it has frame rate issues it plays more like a football game and FIFA is just a struggle to do anything.
Mon 21/07/08 at 10:00
Regular
"THFC"
Battlefield Bad Company - Great new game engine and a fab FPS

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Amazing graphics, story and controls. Completes this great series!

Ratchet & Clank ToD - The best platforming game on Ps3, with nice graphics, story and a sequeal that is sure to be a big hit!

Call of Duty 4 - It set the standard of Online FPS for Ps3, and will be in our hearts forever!

GTA IV - The size, the graphics, and a decent story. Worth a pick up but not my favourite one in the series
Mon 21/07/08 at 09:35
Regular
"Hello?"
5 games I'd say you should definitley get your handles on are:

Call of Duty 4- A really nice show off piece for a next gen FPS, before battlefield came out I'd say that this was a must buy. However you'd be best of renting it as the 1 player is quite short and if you're looking for online mulitplayer then Battlfield Bad Company is the only choice in my opinion.

Drake's Fortune- Absolutely amazing, I really loved this game from start to finish, it kept me wanting more which is unusual as I usually get bored of these kind of games. Visually I thought it was quite good, a fun light hearted game that's well worth the money.

Battlefield Bad Company- Ok, I'll be honest I haven't even touched the 1 player side of this game, I've been continously playing the multiplayer, it's sooo addictive. Great maps, great weapon kits and good tropy/medal system.

Motorstorm- It might be one of the first games to be born onto the PS3, but it's still a quality little title. A good all round racer with smooth online play too, most shops usually have it at under £20, which is always a bonus.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed- Pre-order it now, it's going to be amazing!!!
Mon 21/07/08 at 00:44
"possibly impossible"
Uncharted is actually not bad, graphics-wise, not the most stunning, but then graphics don't exactly make a game. Very good game though.

The latest FIFA is certainly the better choice, apparently. Not played it myself, but everyone seems to be saying the same thing.

As for GTAIV, I've got it, played quite a bit of it and it's a good little game. The world physics and environments are very nicely realised. The whole hype thing for it may put you off and sure, it'll be the 'kids' choice, but it's actually a well programmed and fun game. Dismissing it is like dismissing the latest Pixar movie because it's popular with the kids. More importantly, if you've tried it out and don't like it, then fair enough.

As for Metal Gear Solid, I've played the first PS1 game and MGS2, admired the storytelling but never got into the games because I always got annoyed by the control system. I'll be trying out the latest one to see if it's any better though, but it's supposed to be more of a FPS than previous MGS episodes.

Also recommend the 5-disc Blade Runner Blu-ray on ebay or from a US site.
Sun 20/07/08 at 23:53
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Well, yes, really. Same with the GTA franchise. For kids and people who aren't too interested in gameplay.

From what I saw in the hype on release, Drake's Fortue looked REALLY grainy and poor quality for a HD title. Am I wrong?

Also, I'm kinda scared of online gaming after I saw what World of Warcraft did to some of my friends (and their respective relationshyips). Is it safe?

Just picked up FIFA '08 and Resistance: Fall of Man for next to nothing on eBay. Went with FIFA after the abysmal experience of PES on the Wii. Am I likely to regret this?

Gonna buy 300 on Blu Ray. That film is just awesome.
Sun 20/07/08 at 19:29
"possibly impossible"
Everpain wrote:
> ok thanks. A differnt approach then - what killer games are there
> for PS3 in any genre (don't mention metal gear, please, the
> franchise is massively over hyped and previous games have been
> thoroughly disappointing)?

What you mean is: Other people love it but I hate it and I'm right ;)

Single Format games:
- Uncharted, Drake's Fortune: (cross between Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones)
- Warhawk: Massive online only warzone with futuristic tanks and planes plus tons of other weapons and game modes
- Motorstorm: On release it was considered too short, but since then there have been some great track and vehicle downloads as well as free new modes of play.
- Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (PSN store): Tekken, but online too.
- Heavenly Sword: Fantastic Visuals but short game.

Multiformat:
-COD4
-Battlefield: Bad Company
-GTA4
- Rainbow Six Vegas 2
- Oblivion
-
Sun 20/07/08 at 16:08
Regular
"Author of Pain"
ok thanks. A differnt approach then - what killer games are there for PS3 in any genre (don't mention metal gear, please, the franchise is massively over hyped and previous games have been thoroughly disappointing)?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.