GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stuff rare there in the bag lets grab campcom"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/09/02 at 14:59
Regular
Yep xbox owners are in for another good ride, think if microsoft brought capcom. I know one thing is for sure its a great time to own an xbox.
Tue 01/10/02 at 10:15
Regular
If nothing is done about it, we will have no option but to buy MS games and consoles in the future. Once the big M owns the lot (or most of it), we will be buying MS owned products without intending to. This idea about how people wont buy the products if they are owned by MS is rubbish. If so many games are under the MS flag, then if you want to play that game, you will have to buy it. Look at it this way, if GTA goes MS exclusive in the future - will most people stop buying the game? NO. It's up to Sony, Nintendo, and the others to fight back by using the same tactics. Like when Nintendo got the rights to the Resi series. They have to secure as many games as poss to stop the big M from getting at them. The company with the most "killer apps" secured will win.
Tue 01/10/02 at 09:55
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> I disagree that if one company has a monopoly then people have to pay
> the price like Dave RJR says.
>
> What actually happens is it invites competitors to enter the industry
> you have that monopoly in and challenge it. Okay, on the PC this is
> still limited, though Linux, Sun, Star Office, Netscape, Opera e.t.c
> are all making massive inroads into Microsoft's market share in the
> home PC and business market.

What about Sky Vs ITVDigital/OnDigital or the old BSB. What about VHS Vs Betamax. Like I said, when you purchase a 1.25 Mazda 121 car, you are getting a Ford engine! As for Linux making a big dent in the Windows world, I don't know. I mean, if you only have Linux installed, you have to cross-grade all your software like Word, Corel, Quark, etc.
Mon 30/09/02 at 19:26
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I disagree that if one company has a monopoly then people have to pay the price like Dave RJR says.

What actually happens is it invites competitors to enter the industry you have that monopoly in and challenge it. Okay, on the PC this is still limited, though Linux, Sun, Star Office, Netscape, Opera e.t.c are all making massive inroads into Microsoft's market share in the home PC and business market.

Microsoft may think they can play the console market like they did the PC market, but that isn't going to happen. Why ? You can't buy Nintendo and you can't buy Sony, and they're rather flippin' good at making great games without having to buy the talent all the time.

~~Belldandy~~
Mon 30/09/02 at 19:16
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Starlight wrote:
> It's all go lately isn't it.
>
> :)

Yep and its great.
Mon 30/09/02 at 18:29
Regular
Ingenium Bartender wrote:
> Exactly why it's true that they haven't learned anything recently.
> They buy up all the games developers, and they'll just get split up by
> the monopolies and mergers commission for abusing market power.

Not sure if the big M will have to even go to court. So what if they buy up another company (or all of them). Look at Ford, they have Jaguar, a major stake in Mazda - The little Mazda 121 even comes with a Ford engine. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want a world ruled by one giant company (Microsoft or anyone else), it means they can stick the prices up high, and since there is no alternative, if you want it, you have to buy their product.
Mon 30/09/02 at 15:43
Regular
Campcom.

Ho ho.
Mon 30/09/02 at 13:06
"Darkness, always"
Dave RJR wrote:
> Its all about long terms plans. MS will go and buy up other stuff as
> well - look out Sony and Nintendo. They will keep buying up stuff
> until they own nearly all the software out there. Whatever you buy, it
> will be Microsoft. That pays for XBox 2, and all future upgrades to
> these games will be exclusive to XBox or XBox 2. Or at minimum, first
> for XBox, with PS2/PS3 and GC/GC2 ports to follow 6 months later.

Exactly why it's true that they haven't learned anything recently. They buy up all the games developers, and they'll just get split up by the monopolies and mergers commission for abusing market power.
Mon 30/09/02 at 13:04
"Darkness, always"
Shadowblade wrote:
> the gaming companies need to create new ideas, like for example,
> stuntman and other titles like that

The idea of stuntman is some 15 years old...
Mon 30/09/02 at 12:49
Regular
Its all about long terms plans. MS will go and buy up other stuff as well - look out Sony and Nintendo. They will keep buying up stuff until they own nearly all the software out there. Whatever you buy, it will be Microsoft. That pays for XBox 2, and all future upgrades to these games will be exclusive to XBox or XBox 2. Or at minimum, first for XBox, with PS2/PS3 and GC/GC2 ports to follow 6 months later.
Sun 29/09/02 at 20:19
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Belldandy wrote:
> I never actually said there wasn't a respectable line up for
> Christmas, just that MS seems to like getting publishers and not
> games.

> Rare take a small eternity to produce anything decent - Starfox
> has taken nearly 4 years ! I was kinda interested in getting an Xbox
> this week with it being my birthday, but there are only 4 games I want
> - DOA3, HALO, PGR and Buffy,

Bear in mind that Rare titles made 10% of Nintendos total profit, during the height of the Pokemon craze (which itself was a billion dollar industry)... For one development house to make such an enourmous profit for a company surley makes them worth the bet?

Equally, if there is already an great line-up then why worry if it takes Rare 4 years to come up with their first game, no-one is pinning all their hopes on one developer.

> there may be a great xmas
> line up from MS, but if only the Xbox owners know about it whats the
> point ?

The Christmas games are pretty much avalible to anyone who wants to know about them... I don't think MS are hiding them anywhere.. I don't own an X-Box myself, but I'd say I'm more aware of GC releases than PS2, and more aware of X-Box than GC... I don't think they are doing too badly?

>the rest, while being good, aren't good
> enough to convince me to buy an Xbox. Sure,

If you don't know what the rest are, how do you know your not interested?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.