GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Please read this, all of you"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/09/02 at 13:05
Regular
Hi, this is Ali, back from my holiday and a bit worried about the state of the forums. There's been a few bannings, of which a few of you are upset about, but a few ground rules need to be set.

Swearing, in any form is not allowed. This is a family forum (believe it or not) and we don't want young people coming on here reading foul language, or indeed, parents coming on here and seeing the kind of language that some of you post. The swear filter is there for a reason, and that's not for you to try and beat it with s p a c e s or 'quote marks'. If we find any swearing, of any kind, it'll be deleted, and you may be banned.

Being offensive to one another is something we will also not tolerate. As you all know, someone was banned last week (in my absence, I might add) for calling someone a dirty homo, or something like that. This just ain't acceptable I'm afraid. Just as bad is topics like the one saying things like 'so and so likes hairy men' - it might have been a joke, but some people don't have the same sense of humour as you, and din't find it funny. We're not saying stop having fun, but topics like that serve only to annoy.

Some people have accused us of favouritism in the past ie. certain people get away with saying stuff without a warning, and some don't. From now on, there'll be no swearing at all, BY ANYBODY on the site, whether you've been here a day or 3 years. Posts with swearing or offensive writing in them will be deleted, and depending on the severity of the post, will be warned/banned. This means everyone.

This shouldn't be hard to do, the vast majority of you are adults, or at least are mature enough to behave like civilised people. These are our forums, and you'll post on here by our rules, whether you like it or not. If anyone has any problems with this, let me know, but I'd like this to be a new start for these forums, with no stupid slanging matches between users, no *starring out* offensive posts and no deliberately getting people annoyed. If you've got something you wanna get out of your system, do it someplace else.

I hope you can all agree to these rules.
Mon 23/09/02 at 15:32
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
WHY!? If this wasn't brought up, it wouldn't have changed.

...having said that, the very reason it was brought up etc etc

Anyway, Rosalind, you git! :P I liked being a ~~~~ (blocked for the kiddies), but you've changed all this. As long as you now treat my with respec', instead of whining, then I don't mind. ..well, I DO mind, 'll probably change it to something better. Or maybe SR could have changed it to something better than Twit? SWINES!
Mon 23/09/02 at 15:27
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Rosalind wrote:
> Mr. Snuggly thinks I'm a prude :(

Nah, that Sunday school thing wasn't directed at you, I was just saying. I can't be bothered to delete loads of messages reported because someone said bum. I'm trying to handle this in an adult fashion, and everyone seems to have complied so far.
Mon 23/09/02 at 15:06
Regular
"AKA ~Res~"
right this is my name change, thanx to sav, it's pretty close to my first username.

i like it and plan to keep it. hope we can all post happily.
Mon 23/09/02 at 14:56
Regular
"Remember me?"
*cough* feminist *cough*
Mon 23/09/02 at 14:56
Regular
"AKA ~Res~"
bah changed me name thought i'd make a quick post to see what it looked like.
Mon 23/09/02 at 14:54
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Mr. Snuggly thinks I'm a prude :(
Mon 23/09/02 at 14:53
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Rosalind wrote:
> I see your point, but what you have to keep in mind is that this is
> a
> word coined by men to be a crude (derogatory) word for the female
> genitalia.
>
> But meanings for words change over time. 'Cool' and 'bad' for
> example.

But the meaning of this hasn't changed. I don't understand how that is relevant
>
>
> they are Particuly offensive to women, and particularly as they were
> introduced by men in the first place
>
> But it is *just* a word? How can it harm anyone? Supposing things
> were different and it was the official term for female genitalia?
> No-one would bat an eyelid.

But it isn't. What is your point
>
> When I first heard the term 'coccyx' as a kid, I assumed it was a
> swearword, but it's not - and to me it sounds more vulgar.

Its not vulgar the word in question is, whats your point

either this word should or shouldn't be allowed on the forum.

If it should then so should all swear words
If it shouldn't then its obviously offensive

I find it offensive, why do you have a problem with that

I don't understand why people need to swear. I hardly ever swear.
Mon 23/09/02 at 14:52
"Darkness, always"
oh, it's done.

k
Mon 23/09/02 at 14:50
"Darkness, always"
well, yes, amongst friends, you'll use these words socially.

i do myself. However, the fact that I use the word, and have the word used on me socially does not mean that I myself won't take offence if called that by someone outside my social circle.

These forums, for most of us, are outside our social circle. More to the point, they are presided over by rules which we agreed to when signing up.

Blah blah, yakkety shmaketty. wotsit, etc.

I'm actually bored of this now, just have Scouse bloke renamed to make him more acceptable.
Mon 23/09/02 at 14:50
Regular
"AKA ~Res~"
i'm gonna agree to that, although i have sworn in the past plus i have called people errrr names in the past (normaly in retailation).

ok so it's taken me 20 odd bannings which i aint proud of but we all learn at our own level.

so errrrr what about the games we're ment to be going on about?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.