GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doshin the Giant first impressions"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/09/02 at 12:26
Regular
Just finished my first day on Doshin, what can I say, at first I wasn't sure, it seemed a bit boring, Doshin moves really slowly and there seemed to be far too much walking around doing nothing. But as I got more used to the lay out of the Island I realised that there's was no need to go on all these missions. It gets much better when the villages start getting built cause you actually feel like you're doing something instead of ar$ing around throwing trees at the locals. The graphics while not jaw dropping are still very nice, the sun comes up and the sun sets and the lighting changes to suit it, the villages look rather nice, good detail on the buldings and the little people going about their buisness. I've been quite impressed with the wildlife as well cause I'm sad like that, the way the birds swoop down and get fish out of the water and other things I though was cool. I think the games gonna grow on me even more as I get into it.

So far I have thrown trees at people, saved some fish (aren't I nice), flattened some ground for people to build on, got fed up with some gimp who kept asking me to flatten ground so I jumped on him, saw a little girl playing with a ball so me being the nice friendly giant that I am picked her up then stepped on her.

Anyway I'm off to work out how to grow a flower, the little dudes have built me a monument cause I rule but I have to give them a flower.
Mon 23/09/02 at 17:44
Regular
Time_Warp wrote:
> Congrats for winning for your Doshin review Whitestripes, it was a
> good read. (:)

What!? I won a GAD for that???

Jeez I made it up on the spot, I guess this proves my theory, I rule at english.

I got an A+ for a thirty second speech (that should have been 2 minutes) that I made up on the spot, and an A for a Romeo & Juliet essay when I didn't even bother to read half the book or make any notes :D
Mon 23/09/02 at 17:41
Regular
When I first starting playing I strongly agreed with Mr. Ripper's views; it seemed boring, slow and for vey young children.

But after a few days it became a lot better. Building different monuments is fun now. All you need is patience.
Mon 23/09/02 at 17:39
Congrats for winning for your Doshin review Whitestripes, it was a good read. (:)
Mon 23/09/02 at 17:34
Regular
Noooooooooooo Doshin rules!

Black & White is crap! It was great for a week, and then it suddenly becomes intensly boring and genereally just feels rubbish. And the expansion pack blows as well.

I'm still hoping Black & White 2 will be good though, now they've got the frame down hopefully they can flesh it out and make a decent game of it, I was really looking forward to the first one as well. :(
Mon 23/09/02 at 17:18
Regular
Time_Warp wrote:

Is the only thing to do with Jashin is to destroy
> stuff and then repair it as Doshin?

Yeah nothing major to do with him other than kill stuff, you can scare lazy workers into working, he's got a good pound move that flattens the ground quickly, he moves much faste and he can fly a short distance. Other than that not much else.

According to the instructions you have to take on tornado's as Doshin and also jealousy monsters from the other villages that steal trees, god knows what they are.
Mon 23/09/02 at 17:12
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Sounds like one of those games you can leave for a while when you're bored and then come-back to it weeks or months later and pick-up again right where you left-off loving the game as much as ever....

I think I will get it. :)

But not untill i've got and gone-through Mario SunShine! :D
Then it's just the choice between this one or Resi....

Hmmmmm....
Mon 23/09/02 at 17:11
Tiltawhirl wrote:

I'm now trying to rebuild it. It's gonna take a while
> but I'm enjoying it.

I spose destroying then building is cool, it's be really cool if there were rival Doshin/Jashins you have to take on and other peoples villages to destroy. Is the only thing to do with Jashin is to destroy stuff and then repair it as Doshin?
Mon 23/09/02 at 16:58
Regular
Mr Ripper wrote:
> it's just Populous for dummies. It's not complicated at all. My copy
> will likely be for sale at a reasonable price soon if you haven't
> bought it by then.

The controls are simple true, the gameplay is simple true, but that's what I like about it. I don't want a game with a million diferent butons to press and tactical planning. That's what I liked about Pikmin, it was simple yet stupidly good fun.

As for lastability, unless your Mr Ripper or think that your above the game then it should last you ages. You have to build 18 different villages to get 18 monuments and trust me it'll take you a long while, the game is so non linear unlike Pikmin and there's no time limit. You start of with the basics for 4 villages to be built, I started off going by what you where supposed to do but then I found Jashins fire ball move, 30 minutes later all the villages where destroyed, i'd kiled about 70 people and destroyed most of the island and submerged it in the sea. I'm now trying to rebuild it. It's gonna take a while but I'm enjoying it.
Mon 23/09/02 at 16:48
"Darkness, always"
it's just Populous for dummies. It's not complicated at all. My copy will likely be for sale at a reasonable price soon if you haven't bought it by then.
Mon 23/09/02 at 16:46
Regular
"Long time no see!"
The more 'First Impressions' I read, the more I want this game!
But i'm still not 100% certain yet due to the afore mentioned comments.

Stomping on people, flinging trees into the sea.... this game just sounds BIZZARE - MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, more-so than Pikmin was.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.