GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doshin the Giant first impressions"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/09/02 at 12:26
Regular
Just finished my first day on Doshin, what can I say, at first I wasn't sure, it seemed a bit boring, Doshin moves really slowly and there seemed to be far too much walking around doing nothing. But as I got more used to the lay out of the Island I realised that there's was no need to go on all these missions. It gets much better when the villages start getting built cause you actually feel like you're doing something instead of ar$ing around throwing trees at the locals. The graphics while not jaw dropping are still very nice, the sun comes up and the sun sets and the lighting changes to suit it, the villages look rather nice, good detail on the buldings and the little people going about their buisness. I've been quite impressed with the wildlife as well cause I'm sad like that, the way the birds swoop down and get fish out of the water and other things I though was cool. I think the games gonna grow on me even more as I get into it.

So far I have thrown trees at people, saved some fish (aren't I nice), flattened some ground for people to build on, got fed up with some gimp who kept asking me to flatten ground so I jumped on him, saw a little girl playing with a ball so me being the nice friendly giant that I am picked her up then stepped on her.

Anyway I'm off to work out how to grow a flower, the little dudes have built me a monument cause I rule but I have to give them a flower.
Tue 24/09/02 at 18:08
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> Nintendo didn't invent this genre, but Doshin *is* a damn sight better
> than it's closest equivalent, Black & White. It isn't as complex,
> but at least it hasn't got totally boring after 3 days. I sold my copy
> of Black & White after 6 days, and i'd been really looking forward
> to it as well.

This is a great point. I was wrong, I admit it, but Black & White was terrible, I've been warned away from the Populous series and have never heard of 'Magic Carpet'.

By the way, when was the original Doshin released?
Tue 24/09/02 at 17:30
Curses. I really hoped that Nintendo would release demo discs for the Gamecube - if not for inclusion in a magazine (a la OPSM2), then at least as standalone discs for a small price.
Tue 24/09/02 at 17:24
Regular
Icarus wrote:
> So if I had Black & White for the PC, should I buy this?

I'd say give it a go, everyone seems to have different opnions on the game, some love it, some don't. Kinda got a Marmite thing going on here.
Tue 24/09/02 at 17:22
Regular
Ingenium Bartender wrote:

> But if it's original to you, because you've never played anything like
> this before, then by all means enjoy it.

I wouldn't call it original, it's more of a very simple version of Settlers. The gameplay on paper seems very boring but I don't know, there's something about it that I find really addictive and fun.

>
> For an experienced gamer, it's just dated, and it almost looks as
> though it could have been done on the N64 to be quite honest.

It's ported from the N64, it was never released outside of Japan though.
Tue 24/09/02 at 17:22
So if I had Black & White for the PC, should I buy this?
Tue 24/09/02 at 17:19
"Darkness, always"
The graphics are dated.

Collision detection is awful, your feet ALWAYS disappear into cliffs, so does the entire giant half the time if he should fall over.

I enjoyed Pikmin, which looked much better, but Doshin looks like it was thrown together in a week. The poorly put together tutor is a perfect example of this, as is the collision detection. Water effects aren't difficult, and are easilly completely overlooked, especially when the only effective way to cross large expanses of water is to just turn into the red giant and leap over them.

I don't mind simple games, provided they offer something in terms of gameplay. Doshin has been done dozens of times before, and done much better.

But if it's original to you, because you've never played anything like this before, then by all means enjoy it.

For an experienced gamer, it's just dated, and it almost looks as though it could have been done on the N64 to be quite honest.
Tue 24/09/02 at 17:10
Regular
I say BALLS to you opinion.

If you want a complicated game then go play something on the PC, as a lot of developers have found out more complicated Realtime Strategy titles don't work on consoles.

That's what makes Pikmin and Doshin so much damn fun they're simple yet infinetly playable. I'm not looking for some really in depth strategy game, Doshins does what it's supposed to do and that is pay well and be FUN.

Doshin is F.U.N, FUN.

As for criticising the graphics, I question wehther you've really taken the tme to play it. The lighting and reflection effects are amazing infact the only problem is the way Doshins feet dissapear into the cliffs sometimes, but at the end of the day that doesn't get in the way of the gameplay.

Anyway enough of this, I'm not gonna convince you otherwise, I'm really enjoying it and that's all that matters.
Tue 24/09/02 at 16:22
"Darkness, always"
Doshin got boring after half an hour...

It's graphically disgusting, completely unoriginal, and obviously designed for children.

The irritating and ill-done "tutor" is stupifyingly condescending, and is drawn like it had the NES graphics processor in mind. The more I think about this game, the more I can't stand it.

The original Populous is far better than this. ANYTHING by Mr Molyneux is better than this. It's dummied down, condescending, and requires far more patience than even the most complex game in this genre deserves.

Kids will love it, anyone else should have more sense.
Tue 24/09/02 at 16:12
Regular
Nintendo didn't invent this genre, but Doshin *is* a damn sight better than it's closest equivalent, Black & White. It isn't as complex, but at least it hasn't got totally boring after 3 days. I sold my copy of Black & White after 6 days, and i'd been really looking forward to it as well.
Tue 24/09/02 at 12:18
Regular
"Remember me?"
Mr Ripper wrote:
> have a little read: http://www.wired.com/news/print/ (space)
> 0,1294,39359,00.html

He won't read it, 'cos it'll embarrass his complete and utter wrongness.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.