GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doshin the Giant first impressions"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/09/02 at 12:26
Regular
Just finished my first day on Doshin, what can I say, at first I wasn't sure, it seemed a bit boring, Doshin moves really slowly and there seemed to be far too much walking around doing nothing. But as I got more used to the lay out of the Island I realised that there's was no need to go on all these missions. It gets much better when the villages start getting built cause you actually feel like you're doing something instead of ar$ing around throwing trees at the locals. The graphics while not jaw dropping are still very nice, the sun comes up and the sun sets and the lighting changes to suit it, the villages look rather nice, good detail on the buldings and the little people going about their buisness. I've been quite impressed with the wildlife as well cause I'm sad like that, the way the birds swoop down and get fish out of the water and other things I though was cool. I think the games gonna grow on me even more as I get into it.

So far I have thrown trees at people, saved some fish (aren't I nice), flattened some ground for people to build on, got fed up with some gimp who kept asking me to flatten ground so I jumped on him, saw a little girl playing with a ball so me being the nice friendly giant that I am picked her up then stepped on her.

Anyway I'm off to work out how to grow a flower, the little dudes have built me a monument cause I rule but I have to give them a flower.
Mon 23/09/02 at 12:26
Regular
Just finished my first day on Doshin, what can I say, at first I wasn't sure, it seemed a bit boring, Doshin moves really slowly and there seemed to be far too much walking around doing nothing. But as I got more used to the lay out of the Island I realised that there's was no need to go on all these missions. It gets much better when the villages start getting built cause you actually feel like you're doing something instead of ar$ing around throwing trees at the locals. The graphics while not jaw dropping are still very nice, the sun comes up and the sun sets and the lighting changes to suit it, the villages look rather nice, good detail on the buldings and the little people going about their buisness. I've been quite impressed with the wildlife as well cause I'm sad like that, the way the birds swoop down and get fish out of the water and other things I though was cool. I think the games gonna grow on me even more as I get into it.

So far I have thrown trees at people, saved some fish (aren't I nice), flattened some ground for people to build on, got fed up with some gimp who kept asking me to flatten ground so I jumped on him, saw a little girl playing with a ball so me being the nice friendly giant that I am picked her up then stepped on her.

Anyway I'm off to work out how to grow a flower, the little dudes have built me a monument cause I rule but I have to give them a flower.
Mon 23/09/02 at 12:35
Regular
"Remember me?"
Well I'm definately going to be buying this game. It looks... intriguing, to say the least. Plus, the bonus of being able to step on villagers or toss them in the sea like the mallicious little git I am seems too good to pass up.
Mon 23/09/02 at 15:00
Regular
Just spent the last 30 minutes throwing fire balls at everything and drowning people. Mwhahahaha this game rules, the giant got so big you couldn't see half of his body on the screen even when I was zoomed out fully. I burnt down all the villages and stomped on all the mountains so the Island was totally flat then proceeded to flood the place. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw a floating Cow.

I advise people to get this game, it's sweet. Only problems i've had with it is a bit of dodgy collision detection, sometimes when you fall down hills part of Doshins body will disapear into the hill. Other than that it's great, one thing i've noticed is the reflections on the water, they look superb specially when you see the reflection of the sun setting, the lighting is amazing.
Mon 23/09/02 at 15:24
Regular
Are these "days", Pikmin style (where a day is a certain amount of gameplay time) or Animal Crossing style (goes along with our day using the Gamecube's internal clock)?

Not sure whether I want to buy it...
Mon 23/09/02 at 15:29
"Darkness, always"
a BIT of dodgy collision detection?

half the tim i'm walking with my legs submerged in a mountainside, or walking through buildings.

If this were a PC game, I'd be expecting to find a half gig patch on fileplanet.
Mon 23/09/02 at 15:43
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
This game seems pretty similar to Black & White. I spent some happy moments throwing people into the ocean and watching them drown. And dropping boulders on their houses to get what I want. ;-))
Mon 23/09/02 at 15:44
"Darkness, always"
Black and White was far, far, far superior.

Black and White 2 will be far, far, far superior still
Mon 23/09/02 at 16:16
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
The X-Box is getting a Black & White game soon - I'll no doubt end up getting it. :-)
Mon 23/09/02 at 16:37
I know Doshin looks sweet, but how is it for lasting appeal? Even after about an hour?
Mon 23/09/02 at 16:41
"Darkness, always"
I've played 3 days in now (90 minutes or so) and I'm still looking for both long term appeal and challenge.

Beyond the level of concentration required to keep my attention on it, there just isn't any challenge, and without any challenge, where is the appeal?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.