GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cover Versions - Good or Bad?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/09/02 at 09:31
Regular
I love the new H-Blockx Cover of "The Power" (originally by Snap). I was talking to a friend of mine about it. His attitude was that bands that cover songs are akin to vultures. It made him cross that decent songs were being ripped off to fund some other band.

So it got me thinking. I get cross when a song I like gets covered and "ruined by the artist that are doing the cover". For example, I love the song "Stand by Me" by Ben E. King, and it still grates on my ear every time I hear the John Lennon version (but then I don't really like anything John Lennon did after he left the Beatles).

maybe I have double standards. I love some cover versions but I get cross when a favorite song of mine gets 'ripped off' by someone else.

Thinking about it I decided that you can put all coverversions into three groups.

1. Cover versions which are recorded as close to the orininal as possible. i.e Tribute versions
examples: Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman - Something Stupid, Sterophonics - Handbags and Gladrags

2. Cover versions that are rerecorded with no major changes to the song but in the style of the covering artist. 'rip-offs'
examples: - Madonna - American Pie,

3. Cover versions where the original song had a 'new twist' on it. Where the new artist has expressed their own art in the song.
examples: Queen Adrina - Joline, Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Although it is to some extent down to your own opinon as to which of these catagories a cover song will fall. And people will always be influenced by how much they liked the original song and the new artist.

It might just come down to are you to lame to write any songs yourself or are you having a laugh with the song.

I guess the really telling point is if the original artist likes the new cover version.

Ros
Fri 20/09/02 at 09:54
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Best cover version I've heard is "Sunshine of Your Love" by Fudge Tunnel.

It's 'adapted' from the original by Cream.
Played at about a quarter of the speed, downtuned massively and ends with a 3-4 minute power-sander being used on the strings.
Superb. It's recognisable as the original yet has the band's own spin on it.

And "Jolene" as done by Silverfish is cool as well.
Fri 20/09/02 at 09:54
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
you don't think there is any merit in covering a song exactly as a tribute to a loved artist?
Fri 20/09/02 at 09:46
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I would have considered cover versions a good thing as long as the musician performs their own interpritation of the title.

I dont really see the point in releasing a single that sounds pretty much excatly the same as the original, nor do I put any value on 'pop' covers, speeding up the track, sticking on some generic 'contemporary' background music, which I find generally ends up sounding forced, a little fake.

Rather like the way actors may be applauded for their inperpitation of a well known play, refreshing the title, attemping the subject from a new angle... I dont see why music should be any different?
Fri 20/09/02 at 09:39
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
The H-blocks song is awful.

Nearly two thirds of it is made up with rap-posturing empty phrases:

"trevor B huh, yeah baby, H-Blox in the house y'all, uh huh" and so on.

Interspersed between the assortment of "What what what"s and "yeah"s and self name checking are some choice lyrics like "Maniac, Brainiac, I'm the lyrical Jesse James". Jesse James must have spouted a lot of crap then.

Also the singer tries to be Frank from Blue Velvet in the video, except without being scary at all.

Which is why it's genius.
Fri 20/09/02 at 09:31
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I love the new H-Blockx Cover of "The Power" (originally by Snap). I was talking to a friend of mine about it. His attitude was that bands that cover songs are akin to vultures. It made him cross that decent songs were being ripped off to fund some other band.

So it got me thinking. I get cross when a song I like gets covered and "ruined by the artist that are doing the cover". For example, I love the song "Stand by Me" by Ben E. King, and it still grates on my ear every time I hear the John Lennon version (but then I don't really like anything John Lennon did after he left the Beatles).

maybe I have double standards. I love some cover versions but I get cross when a favorite song of mine gets 'ripped off' by someone else.

Thinking about it I decided that you can put all coverversions into three groups.

1. Cover versions which are recorded as close to the orininal as possible. i.e Tribute versions
examples: Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman - Something Stupid, Sterophonics - Handbags and Gladrags

2. Cover versions that are rerecorded with no major changes to the song but in the style of the covering artist. 'rip-offs'
examples: - Madonna - American Pie,

3. Cover versions where the original song had a 'new twist' on it. Where the new artist has expressed their own art in the song.
examples: Queen Adrina - Joline, Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Although it is to some extent down to your own opinon as to which of these catagories a cover song will fall. And people will always be influenced by how much they liked the original song and the new artist.

It might just come down to are you to lame to write any songs yourself or are you having a laugh with the song.

I guess the really telling point is if the original artist likes the new cover version.

Ros

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.