GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm getting an X-Box but what are the pro's and cons's?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/09/02 at 19:58
Regular
Hey everyone! I've decided to get an X-box instead of a PS2 for a couple of reasons mainly that I don't have to buy memory cards for ages but I need to buy the DVD remote and I prefer thier games such as Buffy the vampire slayer and dead or alive. I want to know more about my fucher console though so could you all post the pro's and con's of the X-box here thanx :D
Sat 14/09/02 at 19:58
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Hey everyone! I've decided to get an X-box instead of a PS2 for a couple of reasons mainly that I don't have to buy memory cards for ages but I need to buy the DVD remote and I prefer thier games such as Buffy the vampire slayer and dead or alive. I want to know more about my fucher console though so could you all post the pro's and con's of the X-box here thanx :D
Sat 14/09/02 at 20:07
Regular
"waiting 4 Matrix 3"
If you've decided to get a XBOX why do you need assurity from other people, you will get slated by PS2 owners and praised by XBOX owners, but I think you've made the wrong choice, Buffy is coming out on PC and Halo is aswell might I add and Dead or Alive is only graphically great, the Gameplay sucks and Dead or Alive 4 will be on PS2 or Gamecube anyway.
Sat 14/09/02 at 20:12
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
WelshMiyamoto wrote:
> If you've decided to get a XBOX why do you need assurity from other
> people,
I don't but I want to know more aboutthe console

> you will get slated by PS2 owners and praised by XBOX owners,
Only stupid fan boys would do that

> but I think you've made the wrong choice, Buffy is coming out on PC
> and Halo is aswell might I add and Dead or Alive is only graphically
> great, the Gameplay sucks and Dead or Alive 4 will be on PS2 or
> Gamecube anyway.
Your oppinions
Sat 14/09/02 at 20:38
Regular
"waiting 4 Matrix 3"
Cubist wrote:
> WelshMiyamoto wrote:
> If you've decided to get a XBOX why do you need assurity from other
> people,
> I don't but I want to know more aboutthe console
>
> you will get slated by PS2 owners and praised by XBOX owners,
> Only stupid fan boys would do that
>
> but I think you've made the wrong choice, Buffy is coming out on PC
> and Halo is aswell might I add and Dead or Alive is only graphically
> great, the Gameplay sucks and Dead or Alive 4 will be on PS2 or
> Gamecube anyway.
> Your oppinions
Everyone is Entitled to their own opinions, and I hope we can be friends ,what Games have you got for GC
Sat 14/09/02 at 20:44
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
I only have Luig's mansion, star wars rogue leader and pikmin for my gamecube and sure we can be freinds I was just pointing out that they were all your oppinions :D
Sat 14/09/02 at 21:00
Regular
I'm thinking of getting an X-box - and here are the current pros and cons I know of:

Pros:
A few good games (though not enough for me to get one yet)
A good lineup of games to come out soon
A decent price (compared to launch anyway)

Cons:
Microsoft
Controller

So so far, the pros outweigh the cons that have an effect on me. This online bull with all three consoles doesn't interest me at all lol.
Sat 14/09/02 at 21:03
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Yeah I really don't like the controller that much but it's not exactly hard to use. Today I played buffy in the shops and I staked to vamps in 3 minutes **I'm so proud (tears of happiness)**
Sat 14/09/02 at 21:06
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well, I'm very happy with the console and as far as the game line up and potential of the console goes, I've never been so pleased with another console before.

I won't type out a large games line up (unless you want one), but I'll tell you other things that are really good about the console...

A large amount of the games on X-Box support 4 or more players, so you can enjoy good multiplayers with your friends. If you have friends who have also got the console, you can link up 4 of them and have 16 players. Halo is excellent in multiplayer - so you can imagine how much of a laugh it is when you have 15 other people all shooting eachother. ;-))

If you have broadband, then you'll definatly want to look into X-Box Live. Its going to be the best online set up of the 3 consoles and the fact it will be broadband only will help on problems such as lag. Basically a modem just won't be able to handle the amount of players in one game that X-Box Live will bring (i.e 32 players on Unreal Championship).
All players will have 1 online identity on X-Box Live which will make prats think twice before going around making complete ar5es of themselves and ruining games.
You will have an online buddy list so you'll know when all your friends are online and what they are playing - you'll even be able to simply switch games to join them. There will also be a gamer match making option so that you can find opponents of similar skill to you. That way theres no worry of going in as a beginner and getting murdered by experts constantly. There are also currently 60 developers working on X-Box Live titles.
To make X-Box Live the best, MS have put $2billion into it. So you know its going to be pretty special. :-)

The hard drive can hold your game saves, so unless you want to transfer saves around, you won't need a memory card.
It also allows you to store your favourite CD tracks which can be used as alternative music in certain games without having to sacrifice any of the games other sounds.
As you probably know already, it also helps in creating games that can only be done on the X-Box and not the other consoles. Project Ego and Blinx: The Timesweeper are examples of this type of game.
It also helps to add little extras into games. For example, play through Halo and you'll notice that bodies, blood and bullet holes will stay where they are.
Things like this are nice touches as they make a major battle look like one, rather than have the downed enemies and allies disappearing after a few seconds.

As for someone saying about Halo going to PC - who cares ? X-Box owners will be enjoying Halo 2.
As for Buffy - I haven't heard of it going to PC (maybe another Buffy game ?)

Like I said, I'm not gonna list all the X-Box games unless you want me to. But I'll list 20 of what I consider to be some of the top titles coming to the console....
Halo 2
Splinter Cell
Metal Gear Solid: Substance
Unreal Championship
Steel Battalion
Blinx: The Timesweeper
Project Ego
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
Star Wars: Galaxies
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Toejam & Earl 3
Soul Caliber 2
Project Gothem Racing 2
House Of The Dead 3
Mech Assault
Team SAS
Colin Mcrae Rally 3
Psychonauts
BC
Driver 3

With you liking Dead Or Alive 3, you might wanna also keep a look out for Dead Or Alive 4 and DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball. ;-)
Sat 14/09/02 at 21:11
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Cubist wrote:
> Yeah I really don't like the controller that much but it's not exactly
> hard to use. Today I played buffy in the shops and I staked to vamps
> in 3 minutes **I'm so proud (tears of happiness)**

Yeah Buffy is an excellent game - I was really suprised cause I was expecting the worst (afterall, how many film/tv series licensed games end up being decent - not many !) :-)

As for the controller, personally I like it. Never know, if enough people keep on about it they might change their minds about releasing the Controller S here which I think people like you and Edgy will prefer.

I saw it for myself while I was in the States. Didn't buy one though - doh ! (limited funds !)
I want to buy 4 of them sometime as alternatives for people to use if feel like it. :-)
Sat 14/09/02 at 21:25
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
BUY! Me one to! I want one that hasn't got that big bit between the buttons and joysticks :S

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.