GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Retro Studios"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/09/02 at 17:20
Regular
If Rare lose the Perfect Dark license I will be delighted because it is a western game and there is only one other western developer (excluding Silicon Knights) and that is Retro Studios. It features some of the Rare guys who left the good old Rare and even Turok and Half Life workers. Metroid looks much better than anything Rare have ever created and really if Rare has gone for the ammount said then there is a way that will make this better than ever.

If Rare's money go into Retro Studios to make them as big as Rare than I will not give a crap about Rare anymore because Retro Studio's is far better and why?

Retro are smaller than Rare at the moment anyway but feature veterans of other companies including Acclaim, Rare and Capcom.

Retro WILL NOT GO MULTI-FORMAT!

Metroid is apparently the best console game in development at the moment and surley better than anything you'll ever play.

Retro has been dubbed America's Rare.

So if we lose Rare don't disspair we do still have Retro and if Nintendo do keep Perfect Dark etc... then Retro can make them instead and believe you me they will be just as good.
Mon 16/09/02 at 22:25
Regular
Point 1:

Retro set out to make a next gen Metroid game.
It had to be dumbed down to an FPS.
Yes, it was Shigsy's desicion, and he thought it suited the game better.

Then again, Metroid was never his franchise.
None of the original Metroid devellopers had a part in it.
They couldn't really produce what they set pit to do, which was a BIG disappointment for all the metroid fans, but because Prime is looking like a great FPS anyway, it's forgivable.

Point 2:

FPS isn't the best style for adventure.
The only reason Nintendo would consider a FP game, let alone make an adventure game out of it, is because it hasn't been done before.
It'll be a good, fresh, and original experience.

And we will all love it.

But at the end of the day, it's not what this genre was designed for.
The aiming (which FPS games WERE designed for), is done for you by scanning. It's supposedly been dumbed down.

It'll still be a good game, but it won't be the best FPS ever.

It's got plenty of original ideas and some nice graphics, but it won't do nearly as much for the genre as Goldeneye did.

Point 3:

If you're using a franchise, shouldn't it be used properly?
This is basically Nintendo's way of trying to introduce an FPS into the Japanese market using simplified system and popular franchise name.
It's a pity the franchise had to be dumbed down as a result.

If Metroid's original creator had been around then things would've been VERY different.

Retro aren't bad.
Metroid Prime is much better than I ever thought a Metroid FPS could be.
But to say they're better than Rare, PURELY because Rare aren't making Gamecube games is very wrong! So don't! :-P
Mon 16/09/02 at 21:38
Regular
Rare are not as good as they used to be after they lost nearly half their company. Just because Metroid isn't true to its predecesors doesn't mean it won't be a good game. It'll probably be the most original and best FPS EVER!!!! But because it aint yet another 3D platformer it will never be as good, for a Metroid game maybe third person would be better but lets ignore the fact that Samus is even in it, it is still a top quality game.

And the reason why Nintendo intervened with Metroid Prime was because it was becoming a "western First person shooter game" and as this is a Japanese title Nintendo was worried at the poor sales it'll sure to get in Japan. So enter Shigsy and his band of men to make the game more eastern with more adventure elements involved. It isn't because Retro aren't good enough it was because it wouldn't be effective in the Japanese market so a re-design was needed.

Shigsy said that by the way.
Mon 16/09/02 at 10:00
Regular
Anyone who's played Super Metroid cares whether the new Metroid matches up.
The fact stands that it'll be a reasonable game without being faithful, but it's still pretty disappointing.

Yes, Nintendo do CHOOSE to let Rare devellop games their own way, which shows they have a hell or a lot more faith in them than Retro.
And it's not just because Rare is bigger.

Retro does have some talent within it, but it's needed no end of help from Nintendo in making Metroid Prime playable, let alone great.

Yes, Retro are coming along quite nicely, but they still don't touch Rare.
Mon 16/09/02 at 00:35
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Rare haven't released anything yet, but they're a large devellopment
> company who are working on a several games at once.

Too true.

> And just because Retro are less experienced than Rare, that doesn't
> give them more potential, means Rare are several steps ahead.

They aren't less experienced in fact more so. Fina got it wrong.... although they are a new development house.

> The quality might have alot to do that they have Nintendo permanently
> on their backs - Rare don't, meaning they can make their own style of
> game rather than just be a Nintendo devellopment team.

Actually Rare do, Nintendo admire Rare's ability to make western games, Rare were the company that kept the western side of Nintendo up. Starfox for example is a joint effort between Nintendo and Rare.... did you know that?

> Because of this, Rare can make games like Jet Force Gemini, Perfect
> Dark and Conker. If Nintendo had their way with what Rare made, it
> would probably be mostly Banjo style games.. etc.

As I said Nintendo ask Rare to make games for western gamers that is there job, Banjo style games are Nintendo's forte. Nintendo aren't stupid you know.
Mon 16/09/02 at 00:31
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Retro aren't bad, but they're not a patch on Rare.
>
> If Rare had made Metroid Prime, it would've had all the good features
> of Retro's version, only they'd also have been able to combine third
> person platforming to make it true to the franchise, and make it a
> FULL Metroid game, and re-open the market of adult platformers.

For christs sake who cares if its like Metroid or not! Rare do not have a company filled with expert veterans at making First Person Shooters, REtro have more Goldeneye workers than Rare do.

> Tomb Raider, despite being not so great, had been the market leader of
> adult platformers, simply down to lack of competitors.
>
> Retro have pushed the FPS genre to a surprising extent, but I reckon
> Rare could've done even better.

You know nothing.

> Anyway, it's not the setting that makes Rare games good, it's the game
> behind it.
>
> After Goldeneye, many Playstation owners thought that "Tomorrow
> Never Dies" would be as good, because it was the next James Bond
> game.
>
> It sucked. And Rare, without the James Bond liscence, went on to make
> the fantastic Perfect Dark. And they could easily make a new setting,
> possibly a better one without those "out of place" Skedar
> and dodgy alien levels.
>
> Retro are good, but no match for people who come from
> Leicestershire.
> We know our game better than ANYONE! :-P

What the hell are you on about? Retro have workers from Quake, Half Life, Goldeneye and Turok amongst them! Do Rare have these incredible First Person shooting experts amongst them? NO! In fact I only claim Chris Seavor to be the only commendable Rare guy anymore and he has only designed one game after all he does in game speech?!?!?!?!?

And of course makers of Turok are British :) Rare are no match for Retro, the only problem is that Rare are far bigger.
Sat 14/09/02 at 23:03
Regular
Rare haven't released anything yet, but they're a large devellopment company who are working on a several games at once.

And just because Retro are less experienced than Rare, that doesn't give them more potential, means Rare are several steps ahead.
The quality might have alot to do that they have Nintendo permanently on their backs - Rare don't, meaning they can make their own style of game rather than just be a Nintendo devellopment team.

Because of this, Rare can make games like Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark and Conker. If Nintendo had their way with what Rare made, it would probably be mostly Banjo style games.. etc.
Sat 14/09/02 at 22:23
Regular
Fair points. But Retro don't have any expirence, so if they are producing games of Metroid's quality now, what sort of amazing stuff can we look forward to in the future? Plus at this rate they will be releasing games at the same speed as Rare anyway.

And we haven't even got started on Silicon Knights yet ^_^

I've played some of their previous games likes Legacy of Kain and I was quite impressed. Plus they have an 'adult' background. They don't make cartoon games (as far as I'm aware) so that means more Eternal Darkness type games. Which is nice.

Given a choice of Retro and Knights, or Rare. I'd go for the former.
Sat 14/09/02 at 22:08
Regular
Metroid is looking good, but they've had an infinite amount of problems with it, they had to ditch ALL their other projects (whlie Rare can work as many as they like) so the ENTIRE company works on a single game, and Nintendo have had to babysitt them all the way.

Rare are much more independant and can afford to make games there own way.

I know that Nintendo input is often a good thing, but then again, Nintendo didn't like Jet Force Gemini, so babysitting could cramp creativity.

And yes, some of Rare's games like DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing were clones of Nintendo games with a small twist, but others like Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Blast Corps took gaming into new areas and gave Nintendo quality to the sort of games that the big N themselves wouldn't touch.

And Rare are from Leicester, which can only be a good thing...
Sat 14/09/02 at 21:51
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Retro aren't bad, but they're not a patch on Rare.
>
> If Rare had made Metroid Prime, it would've had all the good features
> of Retro's version, only they'd also have been able to combine third
> person platforming to make it true to the franchise, and make it a
> FULL Metroid game, and re-open the market of adult platformers.
>
>

You can't be sure of that, Rare don't add many new features to exsisting genres, with the exception of Goldeneye. DKR was just Mario Kart but with a world you drove in leading to the next race. Perfect Dark didn't have half the the amount of 'new' stuff that made Goldeneye great. Conker was just a standard platformer, then they decided to fill it with adult humour. Banjo-Kazooie gave you two characters in one, each with different abilities. But in reality it could have just been one character with that amount of abilites, it's not like you could split them up and do new things. Blast Corps was new, however.

And how many recent games from Retro Studios have you played? From what I've seen they are doing a fantastic job.
Sat 14/09/02 at 21:26
Regular
Retro aren't bad, but they're not a patch on Rare.

If Rare had made Metroid Prime, it would've had all the good features of Retro's version, only they'd also have been able to combine third person platforming to make it true to the franchise, and make it a FULL Metroid game, and re-open the market of adult platformers.

Tomb Raider, despite being not so great, had been the market leader of adult platformers, simply down to lack of competitors.

Retro have pushed the FPS genre to a surprising extent, but I reckon Rare could've done even better.

Anyway, it's not the setting that makes Rare games good, it's the game behind it.

After Goldeneye, many Playstation owners thought that "Tomorrow Never Dies" would be as good, because it was the next James Bond game.

It sucked. And Rare, without the James Bond liscence, went on to make the fantastic Perfect Dark. And they could easily make a new setting, possibly a better one without those "out of place" Skedar and dodgy alien levels.

Retro are good, but no match for people who come from Leicestershire.
We know our game better than ANYONE! :-P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.