GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Retro Studios"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/09/02 at 17:20
Regular
If Rare lose the Perfect Dark license I will be delighted because it is a western game and there is only one other western developer (excluding Silicon Knights) and that is Retro Studios. It features some of the Rare guys who left the good old Rare and even Turok and Half Life workers. Metroid looks much better than anything Rare have ever created and really if Rare has gone for the ammount said then there is a way that will make this better than ever.

If Rare's money go into Retro Studios to make them as big as Rare than I will not give a crap about Rare anymore because Retro Studio's is far better and why?

Retro are smaller than Rare at the moment anyway but feature veterans of other companies including Acclaim, Rare and Capcom.

Retro WILL NOT GO MULTI-FORMAT!

Metroid is apparently the best console game in development at the moment and surley better than anything you'll ever play.

Retro has been dubbed America's Rare.

So if we lose Rare don't disspair we do still have Retro and if Nintendo do keep Perfect Dark etc... then Retro can make them instead and believe you me they will be just as good.
Sat 21/09/02 at 00:49
Regular
Ah. Well they're better than Rare then. What other games have they brought us?
Wed 18/09/02 at 21:51
Regular
Retro Studio's are making Metroid.
Wed 18/09/02 at 20:16
Regular
Hmm.. so are Retro Studios making Metroid Prime? Thought it was Nintendo...
Tue 17/09/02 at 19:07
Regular
"In and out :)"
Whatever happens to rare we can still go back to our nintendo64 games and play on them for hours and say what beutiful games they have made. As i have bought many of rare's games and i liked all of them espcially Conker's bad Fur day and hope that rare do stay but its there descion
Tue 17/09/02 at 17:03
Regular
"NJAN"
anybody that doesnt like rare just cause they moved to the m$ camp, is pretty stupid. i personally think that retro might (might!) be better than rare, as the level of quality is very high already in their developing life, which means they can only get better. rare are masters at what they do. so are retro. the world is big enough for the two of them.

amos.
Tue 17/09/02 at 16:26
Regular
I don't hate Retro at all.
I am disappointed with what happened with Metroid, but that was probably as much Nintendo's fault as Retro's.

Still, I don't think they're a touch on Rare and will argue for all it's worth.

Problem is, now Rare's left Nintendo (and JUST because Rare has left Nintendo), I seem to be the only Ninty who still likes them! :-D
Tue 17/09/02 at 16:20
Regular
We aren't picking on Strafex, its just another civil war we have. Strafex hates Retro cause he doesn't like the idea of metroid being an FPS be it the best console game at E3 or not!

I believe Retro are better next gen developers than Rare although I do love Rare.... something wrong with that?
Tue 17/09/02 at 14:23
Regular
I'm guessing that irony was deliberate there, Mr Hippy! :-)

Anyway's Metroid is looking good, it does add a fair bit to the FPS, but that doesn't make the etro replace the are.

None of you would EVER have said this a couple of months back before the buy-out rumours started.
Tue 17/09/02 at 13:25
Savatt78 wrote:

> I mean overall on this forum at least, Rare leaving Nintendo is like a
> football team losing its star player to someone else. With all the
> fans hating his guts whereas a few weeks before, they were praising
> him as the best thing ever.

That's not true i've always loved.....I mean hated Rare, they made some of the best games on the N64 and I bought them all and loved....I mean hated them. I say Microsoft can have Rare, hell take them for free I've always loved...I mean hated Rare.

But serioulsy Rare are crap, they've always been crap, there's no doubt about it. Rare smell of wee.

Honest
Tue 17/09/02 at 12:42
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Just reading through this and I feel sorry for poor Strafex. ;-)
Seriously though, one point I've seen a couple of times is that a few of you are quick to shout about how Retro is better than Rare. But when Strafex gave the opposite opinion, he was basically told off and asked how can he say Rare are better before Retro have released the likes of Metroid ?

I don't think any of you have exactly played Metroid to say its better either.
Of course its been hyped a lot and its a well known game series. But its changing direction in the way it plays so for all we know it could be a flop.
Afterall the FPS genre isn't lacking in games, so Metroid will need something a bit special to stand out and having the Nintendo name to it doesn't guarantee it to be the best thing since sliced bread.
I've seen screenshots and video footage of the game and from what I've seen, theres nothing in it that makes it better than a good number of other FPS games.

I think Retro and Knights will be good developers for Nintendo. But lets face it, I think most of you are clinging to them a whole lot more out of hating Rare for what could be happening in the near future.
Afterall, one poster raved about how Knights made Legacy Of Kain (sorry, forgotton which one of you it was) and usually you lot would be laughing if someone boasted about having that game for their console.

I mean overall on this forum at least, Rare leaving Nintendo is like a football team losing its star player to someone else. With all the fans hating his guts whereas a few weeks before, they were praising him as the best thing ever.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.