GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why oh Why?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/09/02 at 17:00
Regular
Why oh why would I buy a GameCube over a PS2 or X-Box.

I have a Dreamcast but want to broaden my horizons but why buy a GameCube?

Please, someone, anyone explain to me why. I mean no DVD ability, less power, rubbish game line-up. I don't understand.

Will it go on-line, will it be expensive, will the on-line games line-up be any better than the PS2/X-Box.

Please, please, please, someone explain to me, I just don't understand. I mean it isn't any better than the Dreamcast which (sadly) is now resting in the console graveyard.

Someone, anyone, It's driving me mad.

The GameCube.

Why?
Sat 14/09/02 at 17:29
Regular
That's why.
Sat 14/09/02 at 17:29
Regular
[Hello. This topic is designed for those people lingering on the thought of investing in Nintendo's Next Gen Machine - The GameCube. It's got a fair amount of information in, so I hope it will help your decision, whoever you are.]

[What I’m about to say is my opinion, but mainly fact. What console you buy will be mainly up to what type of gamer you are. Both consoles are great, but seeing as I have the GameCube, I’ll tell you a little about it below.]

Well, if you're getting a console on top of your PS2, then the GameCube will be the best bet. The reason being? Most games coming out on X-Box will be on the PS2 and GameCube anyway, so what you should decide it is the first and second party games. Here, I believe GameCube wins hands down. Think of games like Super Mario Sunshine, Perfect Dark Zero, Resident Evil and Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2 and only GameCube owners can play them. There’s many more, so just feast your eyes on this list of games:

Above Average Games Out Already:

ACTION

Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2 – 9/10.
Super Smash Bros. Melee – 9/10.
Resident Evil – 9/10.
Bloody Roar Extreme – 8/10.
Cel Damage – 7/10.
Spider-Man – 7/10.
James Bond 007 in Agent Under Fire – 7/10.

ADVENTURE

Super Mario Sunshine –10/10.
Luigi's Mansion – 8/10.

DRIVING

Burnout – 9/10.
Wave Race: Blue Storm – 8/10.
Driven – 8/10.
Extreme-G 3 – 8/10.
Dark Summit – 7/10.
Spy Hunter – 7/10.
SSX Tricky – 7/10.
F1 2002 – 7/10.
MX Superfly – 7/10.
Freekstyle – 7/10.

PUZZLE

Eggo Mania – 8/10.
Worms Blast – 7/10.
ZooCube – 7/10.

ROLE-PLAYING GAME

Lost Kingdoms – 7/10.

SIMULATION

None yet :).

SPORTS

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 – 9/10.
International Superstar Soccer 2 – 8/10.
NBA Street – 8/10.
NBA Courtside 2002 – 8/10.
Red Card 8/10.
Madden NFL 2003 – 8/10.
Beach Spikers – 8/10.
Kelly Slater’s Pro Surfer – 8/10.
NHL Hitz 2002 – 7/10.
Aggressive Inline – 7/10.

STRATEGY

Super Monkey Ball – 8/10.
Pikmin – 8/10.

[These are the official scores, I didn’t just make them up. They were taken from Nintendo Official Magazine where 10/10 is Gaming Perfection, 9/10 is Almost Perfect, 8/10 is Highly Recommended, 7/10 is Good and 6/10 is Average. I’ve only listed the above average games.]

And Still To Come:

ACTION

Star Wars Bounty Hunter [GameCube exclusive from LucasArts]
TimeSplitters 2 [A very promising FPS]
Perfect Dark Zero [An FPS to rule all FPS’ – possible online]
Metroid Prime [A class FPS from the Big N]
True Crime: Streets Of LA [GTA beater apparently]
Turok Evolution
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
The Matrix
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
RTX Red Rock
James Bond 007: Nightfire
Die Hard Vendetta
Gladius
Largo Winch: Empire Under Threat
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Project BG&E
Tomb Raider: The Prophecy
Splinter Cell
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Reign Of Fire
Blood Omen 2
Ikaruga
Hunter: The Reckoning
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
Medal Of Honour: Frontline
Project Devil
Bloodrayne

ADVENTURE

The Legend of Zelda GC [Yet another innovative title from Nintendo]
Animal Crossing [HUGE game – possibly online]
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time [Enhanced version]
Sonic Mega Collection [Huge compilation of Sonic’s best games]
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet
Dragon's Lair 3D
Wario World
Vexx
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath Of Cortex
The Hobbit
XIII
Dr. Muto
Haven: Call To The King
Harry Potter and The Chamber Of Secrets
Lupin the 3rd: Lost Treasure from the Sea
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
Pac-Man World
Galleon
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
Sonic Adventure 3

DRIVING

F-Zero GC
1080: White Storm
Smuggler's Run Warzones
Burnout 2: Point Of Impact
Pro Rally
Rally Championship
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions
Shaun Murray’s Pro Wakeboarder
Driver 3
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Rally Fusion: Race of Champions
Colin McRae Rally 3
Big Air Freestyle
Micro Machines

PUZZLE

Mario Party 4 [Update of a great game – possibly online]
Disney Party [Like Mario Party, but with Disney characters]
Mr Driller: Drill Land

ROLE PLAYING GAME

Final Fantasy [All the ones Sony are getting]
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle [GC Exclusive, plus GBA link-up.]
Phantasy Star Online [GameCube online remake]
Skies Of Arcadia [GameCube remake – possibly online]
Falsebound Kingdom [Based on Yu-Gi-Oh! Japanese TV Series]
Eternal Arcadia Legend
Lost Kingdoms 2

SIMULATION

StarFox [NAMCO/Nintendo flying game]
Doshin The Giant
Cubivore
BattleBots

SPORTS

Mario Golf [Update of a great game – possibly online]
Mario Tennis [Update of a great game – possibly online]
Mario Kart [Update of a great game – possibly online]
WWE Wrestlemania X8 [Exclusive to GC]
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Pro Evolution Soccer 2
Disney Soccer
Captain Tsubusa: Golden Generation Challenge
Knockout Kings 2003
Black and Bruised
NHL Hitz 2003

STRATEGY

Super Monkey Ball 2
Risk

All of the above will be out by the end of the year (with the exception of ten or so) and are tipped to be very good. Combine that with the fairly large amount I’ve missed and the list that hasn’t been featured in magazines yet and you’ve got a huge variety of games on your hands by Christmas.

Also, the GameCube has been proven to match and better the X-Box in some areas and vice versa. This leaves the two fairly even when it comes to graphics and power. For example, the GameCube is capable of certain special effects the X-Box cannot achieve. Also, when it comes to polygon count, the two are more or less even. Aswell as this, the GameCube uses a different kind of processor than the X-Box, but is the equivalent of an 800Mhz one when dealing with the X-Box’s kind. This is more than the X-Box’s 733Mhz, so you see the GameCube is just as good as the X-Box technically. For a more in depth description of the consoles, I find that the following site is the best:

http://cube.totalgames.net/features/featuresfull2.epml? (space) features2.REF=15&newsFormat.REF=9&featureType.REF=1

Also, online gaming’s looking promising for Nintendo, and it’s out already in Japan [America to follow suit very soon] with it’s first release [Phantasy Star Online] and the promise of more soon. If you’re wanting to get hooked up to the internet, Nintendo have designed the GameCube so that people who can’t get broadband can buy a 56K modem for the same price or less. You’re looking at about a £20.00 modem [broadband or 56K] with no hard drive or installation necessary. Monthly and yearly fees are sketchy for over here, but it’s going to be either free, £6.00 a month or £100.00 a year if what rumours suggest is correct. GameCube online will reach Europe early next year, at about the same time as X-Box LIVE.

The controller’s the best ever designed in my opinion and will fit into your hand snugly. It caters for all sizes of hands, no matter what some people will say, and features superb left and right analogue shoulder buttons. Though the D-Pad’s a little small, most games are programmed to overcome this minor problem, and you’ll soon get used to it. All the buttons are the right sizes and in the correct, easy to reach positions, making it the perfect controller for almost anything. The analogue sticks are offset, which is best for first person shooters and each one has precise accuracy. It really is a great controller.

Also, the price is significantly less, and won’t eat such a large hole in your pocket. Sure the X-Box has a DVD, but you have to pay an extra £20.00 to get it working, and with a PS2 already, you don’t really need that feature. The GameCube makes up for the lack of hard drive by producing a superb memory card that will easily store save files for about 15 – 20 games. This is just £14.99, last time I checked, so it’s great value too. It’s also worth noting that the games are about £5.00 less than X-Box ones, with peripherals being a couple of quid less too. And with four controller ports, no multi-tap is necessary. Nintendo really have the budget gamer in mind.

Plus critics have tipped the X-Box to fail, and the GameCube to catch up with the PS2, so you won’t feel short-changed. Also, with something like one hundred exclusives by May next year and Nintendo on a roll of original, quality and innovative titles, there’s a lot of life and potential left in that box of wonders.

[NOTE: I've compared it to the X-Box because I originally wrote it for a PS2 owner wanting to buy an X-Box or GameCube. Still the information's there, and as most people own a PS2 anyway, it should apply to the majority.]
Thu 12/09/02 at 22:15
Regular
The Gamecube being almost as powerful as the Xbox is an argument.

The Xbox does have a slight edge overall, but not enough to make a real difference. That's why game decide it, and Nintendo being Nintendo make some of the very best games around.

That's why you should get a Gamecube. :-)
Thu 12/09/02 at 22:12
Regular
Console wars debates are not the reason I bought a GameCube, and they don't make me feel good about buying one either.

It's the games that do it for me.
Thu 12/09/02 at 22:11
Regular
"Frag 1st, Think 2nd"
I seem to have got on the wrong side of some people here.

Maybe you are right. If I don't want one then I bloddy well shall not buy one.

But to say that it is alomost as powerful as an X-box is not a real argument. Maybe I was a bit hasty in saying that the game line-up was not impressive but it isn't the most powerful machine on the market.

And to the bloke that thinks that I just want to feel big by winding people up and that you ain't going to read this thread then good. If you don't want a good debat that should ultimately make you feel good about your purchase of a GameCube then that is up to you. I was hoping that i could evoke a good response from GC owners as like you guys I will shortly be a GC owner. It was my friends who think that size and power is everything but we know different. It's how you use your size that matters as the GC is showing us. and if Nintendo learn from SEGA's online mistakes i personaly think that it will become bigger than that over-rated black piece of rubbish called the PS2.

Anyway, keep on gaming, it keeps you sane.

BB
Thu 12/09/02 at 21:30
Regular
Time for your first lesson in re-education methinks...

BigBob wrote:
> Why oh why would I buy a GameCube over a PS2 or X-Box.

Why indeed?

>
> I have a Dreamcast but want to broaden my horizons but why buy a
> GameCube?

Why not?

>
> Please, someone, anyone explain to me why. I mean no DVD ability,

Oh no! The lack of a DVD drive means I wont be able to play games ever again!

less
> power,

It's more powerful than the Playstation 2 (fact)

rubbish game line-up.

Are you sure you're in the same dimension as the rest of us?

I don't understand.
>

If that's the case, you never will.

> Will it go on-line,

Yes.

will it be expensive,

Unknown

will the on-line games
> line-up be any better than the PS2/X-Box.

It all depends on the developers.

>
> Please, please, please, someone explain to me, I just don't
> understand. I mean it isn't any better than the Dreamcast which
> (sadly) is now resting in the console graveyard.

>
> Someone, anyone, It's driving me mad.
>
> The GameCube.
>
> Why?

Maybe because it's a brilliant quality games machine with over 100 games available in just over 6 months? (by new year anyway)
Thu 12/09/02 at 18:58
Regular
I cant be bothered to read the topic or the replies becuase its just a person with hormone problems and in order to think hes big TRY to wind up people.

The real question is why have computer games at all?

or

life, why?
Thu 12/09/02 at 18:12
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Well i made the jump from DC to GC, all my mates went for PS2 and Xboxs. I went for GC and think ive made the right choice. Im probley waiting till PS2 and xbox drop in price again (its got to happen!)
Thu 12/09/02 at 17:11
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Online it shall be, and the games line up is absoloutely amazing.
Thu 12/09/02 at 17:09
Regular
Are we talking about the same Gamecube?

Underpowered and rubbish line up?

The Gamecube is almost as powerful as the Xbox and it has the best line-up around. Sure, the Dreamcast's line up was impressive near the end, but it didn't have things this good within 3 months of the launch.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.