GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GBA DS thumping the PSP in the UK...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/11/05 at 16:07
Regular
Apparently. Recent hardware figures have shown a massive surge in DS sales. Surpassing the PSP rather dramatically. Take a gander:

22-29 October:
NDS: 30,000
GBA SP: 15,500
PSP: 12,900

14-21 October:
NDS: 23,035
GBA SP: 10,034
PSP: 8,000

6-13 October:
NDS: 24,492
PSP: 18,723
GBA SP: 8,799

Why?

Two fundemental reasons. One being that the PSP is suffering major shortages and consumers are heading elsewhere and the recent release of Nintendogs has seen a rather nice DS rise.

Of course those still concerned for the DS will be aware that the new GTA is out soon... and we all know what that does.

Not that Nintendo are worried of course. the GBA Micro, released last week, will certainly do the bussiness...

And it isn't as if GTA is the only big handheld release this christmas. Both wi-fi and Mario Kart are still to come.

This all bodes very well for the Revolution.

Dringo.
Wed 09/11/05 at 21:09
Regular
As for "people who want a PSP wait for a PSP" well that works in some areas yes.

But imagine, you're getting your son a nice new christmas present. You pop into a game shop and see the latest handhelds. PSP has sold out... what do you choose instead?

It's far easier for the DS to sell when the PSP isn't avalible. Especially for those unsure.
Wed 09/11/05 at 21:07
Regular
Figures vary dramatically. The PSP hasn't been out long and during it's launch period it naturally outsold the DS.

Now it is switching round again.

Whilst in America it was a case of the DS winning and then the PSP taking hold due to its launch and lack of DS software and now it is turning back again.

And Nintendo have always been in the lead in Japan.

It's from Jeaux France website and of course those sales figures are for up to october 29th.

PSP did well for 3 months in America and a month over here. That is the current situation.

GBA SP is still kicking gaming ass.
Wed 09/11/05 at 20:32
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
There are so many differing sales figures though!

One minute 'they' say that the PSP is selling twice as many as the DS, then 'they' say that there is a shortage of PSP's so buyers go fo the DS instead!

Why cant someone just tell us exactly how it is instead of plumping up figures on either side?
Wed 09/11/05 at 20:07
Regular
"8==="
If I had kids I'd buy them something they could fold up so they couldn't damage the screen.

I certainly wouldn't get them a PSP.

and as we all know kids don't bother putting things back properly so carrycases probably wouldn't work either.
Wed 09/11/05 at 19:58
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I think the figures are being read wrong, for starters anyone who thinks that someone looking to buy a PSP will then go buy a DS because they cannot get a PSP is insane, what is happening is that the PSP buyers are waiting - if Sony release more units then sales will rocket. The DS is selling because until this week it has been easy to obtain as many as retailers want.
Wed 09/11/05 at 19:34
Regular
"I got a great Idea"
he goes round counting all the people that buy them himself
Wed 09/11/05 at 17:48
Regular
"Divine Davine"
That's very good news indeed. Mario Kart and Sonic Rush will certainly do the sales some good, and although GTA on the PSP is No.2 in the UK charts, it will fall soon due to the lack of PSP owners. What. A. Shame.

Plus, where did you get that info from Dringo? I look for UK unit orientated sales everywhere, but just cant get 'em.

Yes I know I'm sad.
Wed 09/11/05 at 17:24
Regular
"I got a great Idea"
GTA was out last week wasnt it, i was playing it today at college on my mates psp....
Wed 09/11/05 at 16:07
Regular
Apparently. Recent hardware figures have shown a massive surge in DS sales. Surpassing the PSP rather dramatically. Take a gander:

22-29 October:
NDS: 30,000
GBA SP: 15,500
PSP: 12,900

14-21 October:
NDS: 23,035
GBA SP: 10,034
PSP: 8,000

6-13 October:
NDS: 24,492
PSP: 18,723
GBA SP: 8,799

Why?

Two fundemental reasons. One being that the PSP is suffering major shortages and consumers are heading elsewhere and the recent release of Nintendogs has seen a rather nice DS rise.

Of course those still concerned for the DS will be aware that the new GTA is out soon... and we all know what that does.

Not that Nintendo are worried of course. the GBA Micro, released last week, will certainly do the bussiness...

And it isn't as if GTA is the only big handheld release this christmas. Both wi-fi and Mario Kart are still to come.

This all bodes very well for the Revolution.

Dringo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.