GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GBA DS thumping the PSP in the UK...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/11/05 at 16:07
Regular
Apparently. Recent hardware figures have shown a massive surge in DS sales. Surpassing the PSP rather dramatically. Take a gander:

22-29 October:
NDS: 30,000
GBA SP: 15,500
PSP: 12,900

14-21 October:
NDS: 23,035
GBA SP: 10,034
PSP: 8,000

6-13 October:
NDS: 24,492
PSP: 18,723
GBA SP: 8,799

Why?

Two fundemental reasons. One being that the PSP is suffering major shortages and consumers are heading elsewhere and the recent release of Nintendogs has seen a rather nice DS rise.

Of course those still concerned for the DS will be aware that the new GTA is out soon... and we all know what that does.

Not that Nintendo are worried of course. the GBA Micro, released last week, will certainly do the bussiness...

And it isn't as if GTA is the only big handheld release this christmas. Both wi-fi and Mario Kart are still to come.

This all bodes very well for the Revolution.

Dringo.
Wed 16/11/05 at 19:22
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Agreed, I think the main reason is the price. And that's no bad thing
> really because the more the DS sells the more likely people will be
> to buy one.

And they can justify it by saying they're getting something a little bit different.

More accurate sales figures can be found at ComputerandVideogames.com. Pretty much the same but bad bad times for the Gamecube and X-box.
Wed 16/11/05 at 19:20
Regular
er-no wrote:
> It'll be very interesting to see how the DS fairs against the PSP Xmas
> sales week.
>
> Hmmm

MARIO KART!
Wed 16/11/05 at 11:57
"I love yo... lamp."
Agreed, I think the main reason is the price. And that's no bad thing really because the more the DS sells the more likely people will be to buy one.
Tue 15/11/05 at 18:01
Regular
"What's basketball?"
I think the main reason for the DS and GBA outselling the PSP is the price. The DS is a mere £100(give or take a penny) while the PSP is £180(same here). Most parents these days are oblivious of the gaming community, so they will more likely go for the cheaper one.

Another good reason are obviously the games. The DS is open to a wider market. For example, the DS is looking forward to more RPGs- such as Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, Final Fantasy 3, Xenosaga, Tales and Baten Kaitos. It's this kind of variety that keeps people interested. Sure, the PSP will have many more great games in addition to it's already fantastic list; but Ninty- unlike Sony- aren't afraid to take risks. They aren't afraid to try something new. Ninty's games are for "everyone"- PSP usually limit their audience.

Many may just want a DS for it's features. While each of them have been done before indivisually, together the features offer something "brand new"! I'm not saying this puts people off the PSP. A game system is only as good as its games. What I am suggesting is that people could prefer the way that certain games make use of the hardware, ie. Trauma Center.

Anywooo, that's all I have to say... 'bout that.(I'm on a Forrest Gump frenzy!)
Tue 15/11/05 at 09:49
"The Will of D."
Little kiddies want a Gameboy or DS this christmas, so the least expensive option is GBA SP.
Tue 15/11/05 at 09:13
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Gosh GBA SP outselling the PSP, that's a surprise!
Tue 15/11/05 at 08:51
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Keroro Gunsou wrote:
> I think the figures are being read wrong, for starters anyone who
> thinks that someone looking to buy a PSP will then go buy a DS
> because they cannot get a PSP is insane, what is happening is that
> the PSP buyers are waiting - if Sony release more units then sales
> will rocket. The DS is selling because until this week it has been
> easy to obtain as many as retailers want.

Afro! Gunsou! 3 2 1 FIRE!

Afro Gunsou! Afro Gunsou wa Afro!

(sorry :D)
Tue 15/11/05 at 04:36
Regular
"8==="
Especially considering some of the more practical points:

Hedfix wrote:
> If I had kids I'd buy them something they could fold up so they
> couldn't damage the screen.
>
> I certainly wouldn't get them a PSP.
>
> and as we all know kids don't bother putting things back properly so
> carrycases probably wouldn't work either.
Tue 15/11/05 at 04:23
Regular
"everyone says it"
It'll be very interesting to see how the DS fairs against the PSP Xmas sales week.

Hmmm
Wed 09/11/05 at 21:27
"The Will of D."
Yeah I was unsure about which console I first wanted back when all I had was a measly Gameboy Colour, and it was christmas time so i was given a choice, either a PS1 or an N64, I chose N64 naturally (after about 10 minutes of thinking) but I would have gone for the other side just as easily if there were no more N64 left in that same woolies store I now work in. Or if I wanted a PS1 but there we're I still would have decided on the N64.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.