GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Got a new PC"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/11/05 at 11:19
Regular
"Mozzy"
It isn't brilliant and it's not brand new, but it's better than my other one.

Heres the specs/info/whatever:

- Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 etc etc blah blah
- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
- 505 Intel Pentium 4 Processor
- 2.66Ghz 1M L2 Cache 533Mhz FSB
- IEEE 1394 Firewire included
- 80 Gb SATA Hard drive
- 7 USB Ports
- DVD+/-RW
- 256 MB DDR for optimized performance

Its an emachines computer and i've got these specs fromthe lable on the base thing.

All I want o know is whether my machine is capable of running Call of Duty 1?

Oh and opinions if you want.
Tue 15/11/05 at 11:06
Regular
Ashley_90 wrote:
> Is there a certain memory stick I should be looking for? I have
> £25 right now but I dont think that will be enough...

> (Or will it?)

The £17.99 DDR RAM from SR should do the trick

> EDIT: I've just opened up my PC so that I know where to put the card
> and it looks like there are more than one slots. Does this mean I can
> still keep my 256MB card plus the new 512MB one?

> So i'll have a total of about 760MB?

Yep, leave in the one you already have and add in the new one in a spare slot. 768mb if were being precise as well :)
Tue 15/11/05 at 08:13
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Ashley_90 wrote:
> I will never have £100 spare...and when I do I definately wont
> spend it on a graphics card.
>
> £100?!
>
> Thats madness, how much does it cost them to make one? Im sure it's
> not £100 or anywhere near that.
>
> I'll just stick with my nice crappy graphics card for now. :)
>
> I haven't got the PC for gaming, it's just a family computer that my
> dad got for free off his mate. But if it can play CoD I will
> definately buy it.
>
> And it can so me = happy. Even if it is worse than Icarus' laptop. :D

You could run just about all modern games on that rig if you were to up it to 512MB ram, and buy a new graphics card.
Mon 14/11/05 at 19:09
Regular
"Mozzy"
Cheers mate. So this will cost me around £40? Hmmm...what about eBay, I dont really want to use ot to buy something like this, but if it means I get the product cheaper then I will.

Actually, im looking on eBay now and im seeing 512MB for £20. But could somebody do me a favor and tell me exactly what I should be looking for because im sure i'll order the wrong thing if I just buy from anywhere.

Is there a certain memory stick I should be looking for? I have £25 right now but I dont think that will be enough...

(Or will it?)

EDIT: I've just opened up my PC so that I know where to put the card and it looks like there are more than one slots. Does this mean I can still keep my 256MB card plus the new 512MB one?

So i'll have a total of about 760MB?
Mon 14/11/05 at 17:27
Regular
"Captain to you."
From what you wrote for specs you have 256mb RAM, i'd suggest at least 512mb more, it's very very simple to install.

Turn off all power unplug the power lead, open case, look for your ram slot you'll see a stick of ram in there already like the one in your hand, move the clips away from the slot and push your new ram stick in to the slot, the clips should click in to place once the sticks in fully.
Mon 14/11/05 at 17:23
Regular
"Mozzy"
I think I definately need more memory because the computer runs very slowly when I have Footie Manager 06 running with MSN and IE.

Im not going to get the memory now because I have no money but when I do how exactly will I put it into my PC? Is there a certain place to look for?

Will I have to take out the 512Mb? Is it just a card thingy?

So many questions, I know. :(
Mon 14/11/05 at 13:08
Regular
"Mozzy"
Thank you. :)
Mon 14/11/05 at 13:00
Regular
"bot"
change initial and max both to 1024mb.
I'm assuming you have a good few gigs of free space given that it's an 80GB hard drive.
Mon 14/11/05 at 12:00
Regular
"Mozzy"
I googled and I still dont understand. Its my fault, because I know nothing about computer memory but all I really need to know is what I should change my Initial and Max to?
Sun 13/11/05 at 23:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
As far as i recall virtual memory is concerned with hard disk space, so in this case setting the virtual memory to the maximum is possible. Google it for more concise info or something.
Sun 13/11/05 at 23:00
Regular
"Mozzy"
So what should I put the max to? :S

Do you mean put the max as 248mb?

If so, what about the initial? Surely that cant be higher than the max?

Im all confused now. :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.