GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Got a new PC"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/11/05 at 11:19
Regular
"Mozzy"
It isn't brilliant and it's not brand new, but it's better than my other one.

Heres the specs/info/whatever:

- Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 etc etc blah blah
- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
- 505 Intel Pentium 4 Processor
- 2.66Ghz 1M L2 Cache 533Mhz FSB
- IEEE 1394 Firewire included
- 80 Gb SATA Hard drive
- 7 USB Ports
- DVD+/-RW
- 256 MB DDR for optimized performance

Its an emachines computer and i've got these specs fromthe lable on the base thing.

All I want o know is whether my machine is capable of running Call of Duty 1?

Oh and opinions if you want.
Sun 13/11/05 at 22:45
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Ashley_90 wrote:
> Thanks mate. Just one thing, what exactly do I set the Initial and
> Maximum memory to?
>
> Its currently at:
>
> Initial - 372
>
> and
>
> Max - 744
>
> And the computer has a memory of 248Mb (or 256...cant remember)

Try the max - it may effect other things but it will get rid of the Virtual Memory problem which is the main thing effecting the performance.
Sun 13/11/05 at 20:37
Regular
"Mozzy"
I will never have £100 spare...and when I do I definately wont spend it on a graphics card.

£100?!

Thats madness, how much does it cost them to make one? Im sure it's not £100 or anywhere near that.

I'll just stick with my nice crappy graphics card for now. :)

I haven't got the PC for gaming, it's just a family computer that my dad got for free off his mate. But if it can play CoD I will definately buy it.

And it can so me = happy. Even if it is worse than Icarus' laptop. :D
Sun 13/11/05 at 20:12
Regular
"Captain to you."
If you can afford it (probably around or less than £40) get yourself another 512mb ram for a performance leap.

and when you have £100 spare get a nice average graphics card.
Sun 13/11/05 at 20:09
Damn, that's worse than my laptop.

Yes, COD will work.
Sun 13/11/05 at 20:03
Regular
"Mozzy"
Thanks mate. Just one thing, what exactly do I set the Initial and Maximum memory to?

Its currently at:

Initial - 372

and

Max - 744

And the computer has a memory of 248Mb (or 256...cant remember)
Sun 13/11/05 at 19:34
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Virtual Memory - that rings a bell.

I had the same problem a while ago and it's nothing to do with memory so don't buy any more whatever you do. Try the following:

To change the size of the virtual memory paging file
you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open System in Control Panel.

On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.

Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, and type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.

If you decrease the size of either the initial or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.

This may fix the problem but no promises.
Sun 13/11/05 at 16:30
Regular
"Mozzy"
This is great news. I cant explain how much i've wanted to play this game, ever since I bought it about 3 years ago and found out that my computer was not good enough to run it. :(

I've been getting a little thing in the corner popping up telling me that my Virtual Memory is low or something.

I guess this is because of the low memory I have?

How much is it to upgrade or change my memory to a better one? 512Mb maybe?

Do I have to get a certain one?
Sun 13/11/05 at 15:55
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I expect it'll run OK.
Sun 13/11/05 at 13:04
Regular
"Mozzy"
Thanks. :)
Sun 13/11/05 at 12:51
Regular
Yeah you will.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.