GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft IS buying Rare!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/09/02 at 11:24
Regular
From Rarenet.com...

"
If you'll recall, a few days ago we promised big news about Microsoft and Rare. A friend of ours at everyone's favorite overly secretive software design house (that'd be Rare) told us that Rare was leaving the warm, loving embrace of Nintendo for the steely grip of Microsoft. It was the most recent in a line of stories we'd broken, culminating last week in the news that Nintendo was seeking a buyer for its portion of Rare. We held off on running this one though, waiting to get confirmation from someone else inside Rare.

Today our friends at Raretopia broke news of Rare's imminent conversion. We still haven't officially confirmed what we've heard -- the only people who know for sure still aren't talking -- but we will say this: Raretopia's account is identical to what we've heard from within Rare (except for the news of Perfect Dark being an XBOX exclusive; more on that later).

It's looking to be a near certainty that Rare will not only abandon Nintendo exclusivity, but leave Nintendo altogether and become a Microsoft-exclusive developer. We wouldn't stake our lives on it, but barring an extensive, carefully orchestrated misinformation campaign -- and a bit of bad luck -- we now believe SFA will be Rare's last game as a Nintendo-exclusive second party.

To clear up some questions:

-The reason we were so dead-set on obtaining confirmation is because Dan thought it unacceptably likely that we were being jerked around, so to speak. Knowing Raretopia's reputation for careful and accurate reporting makes this possibility less likely to us.

-Rare's corporate culture seems to have been permeated with indecision or a change in direction. Additional reports include a virtual freeze on hiring at the company, leading some to believe that Rare is delaying its expansion until its development target is known, and it can better account for positions and areas of expertise it needs to fill. For a company on the grow, a multi-month hiring freeze is ... not the right strategy, even in today's wintry economic climate.

-We said that our source did not say that Perfect Dark Zero was being reformed as an XBOX exclusive; it is true, he did not say that. Nor did he say that it would NOT be XBOX exclusive. It just, uh, didn't come up in our conversation.

There you have it. It's looking like Rare on the Gamecube may be a short-lived phenomenon. As we've all grown accustomed to, don't count your eggs before Rare, Nintendo and/or Microsoft make an official statement. But if you bought a Gamecube solely for Rare games ... you may have to amuse yourself with Star Fox Adventures for a long, long time. Me? I'm buying an XBOX tonight
"

Well...
Sat 07/09/02 at 11:24
Regular
"¬_¬"
From Rarenet.com...

"
If you'll recall, a few days ago we promised big news about Microsoft and Rare. A friend of ours at everyone's favorite overly secretive software design house (that'd be Rare) told us that Rare was leaving the warm, loving embrace of Nintendo for the steely grip of Microsoft. It was the most recent in a line of stories we'd broken, culminating last week in the news that Nintendo was seeking a buyer for its portion of Rare. We held off on running this one though, waiting to get confirmation from someone else inside Rare.

Today our friends at Raretopia broke news of Rare's imminent conversion. We still haven't officially confirmed what we've heard -- the only people who know for sure still aren't talking -- but we will say this: Raretopia's account is identical to what we've heard from within Rare (except for the news of Perfect Dark being an XBOX exclusive; more on that later).

It's looking to be a near certainty that Rare will not only abandon Nintendo exclusivity, but leave Nintendo altogether and become a Microsoft-exclusive developer. We wouldn't stake our lives on it, but barring an extensive, carefully orchestrated misinformation campaign -- and a bit of bad luck -- we now believe SFA will be Rare's last game as a Nintendo-exclusive second party.

To clear up some questions:

-The reason we were so dead-set on obtaining confirmation is because Dan thought it unacceptably likely that we were being jerked around, so to speak. Knowing Raretopia's reputation for careful and accurate reporting makes this possibility less likely to us.

-Rare's corporate culture seems to have been permeated with indecision or a change in direction. Additional reports include a virtual freeze on hiring at the company, leading some to believe that Rare is delaying its expansion until its development target is known, and it can better account for positions and areas of expertise it needs to fill. For a company on the grow, a multi-month hiring freeze is ... not the right strategy, even in today's wintry economic climate.

-We said that our source did not say that Perfect Dark Zero was being reformed as an XBOX exclusive; it is true, he did not say that. Nor did he say that it would NOT be XBOX exclusive. It just, uh, didn't come up in our conversation.

There you have it. It's looking like Rare on the Gamecube may be a short-lived phenomenon. As we've all grown accustomed to, don't count your eggs before Rare, Nintendo and/or Microsoft make an official statement. But if you bought a Gamecube solely for Rare games ... you may have to amuse yourself with Star Fox Adventures for a long, long time. Me? I'm buying an XBOX tonight
"

Well...
Sat 07/09/02 at 11:30
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
noooooooooooooooooooooooo it cant be happening nooooooooooooooooooooo oh rare why do this to us noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Sat 07/09/02 at 11:34
Regular
Yeah I read something along these lines last night, if Rare do go to Microsoft the it looks like i'll be getting an Xbox when Perfect Dark comes out.

I'm a bit sceptical though, I wonder if Microsoft will allow Rare the sort of delays that Nintendo have done. If they don't then whether the quality of their games will drop I don't know. Also Rare release what? 1 or maybe 2 games a year maximum, i'll wait to see how good the games are before I invest in Bill's big fat box of corporate bs.

Damn dirty Gates and his stinky fingers getting everywhere, stealing Rare from Nintendo, if he thinks this is gonna help Xbox sales that much then he's got another thing coming.
Sat 07/09/02 at 11:35
Regular
"¬_¬"
I'm not too bothered - as long as Rare actually knuckle down and release something. I've got an Xbox and a GameCube (and a PS2, but I'm ashamed to say it), so as long as something is released I'll be happy. Good news for many, bad news for many.
Sat 07/09/02 at 11:38
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
nooooooooooooooooooo?
Sat 07/09/02 at 11:43
Regular
"not dead"
Um, don't Nintendo own the character 'Joanna Dark'?

I'm sure I've read something along those lines in the past about Nintendo owning characters even though they feature in Rare games, and I don't just mean Donkey Kong and Starfox.

I might have been fed misinformation though.
Sat 07/09/02 at 11:48
Regular
"¬_¬"
moderation wrote:
> nooooooooooooooooooo?

Well, for Nintendo and Nintendo fans then it is a definite nooooooooo. Rare were pretty much the only developers offering anything decent, and without them the release schedule is looking pretty barren.

All the GameCube games I was looking forward to are now possibly not coming out. Kameo, Donkey Kong Racing, Perfect Dark 0, Sabrewulf, Donkey Kong Coconut Crackers maybe even Starfox now have uncertain futures. Oh well. As long as they actually come out, I'll be happy enough.
Sat 07/09/02 at 11:49
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
oh yea,I heard and read that rare got the copyright for the name velvit dark......very interesting stuff eh.
Sat 07/09/02 at 11:51
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
I said now becaus if rare becomes an exclusive for x-box it would mean none of it great games for all the consoles!
Sat 07/09/02 at 11:51
Regular
I thought I read something like that a while ago too, don't think it can be right though.

I gues Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are gonna part company too, thank goodness. Couldn't stand Diddy and all those other chumps in DK64, at least we might get a more Nintendo style Donkey Kong instead of having Lanky and ar$e face to play with as well.

I'll have to buy and Xbox for Conker and Banjo as well, can't see Banjo doing very well on Bill's Box, that's more a Nintendo style game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.